Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who are some boxers that are so overrated that they're underrated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who are some boxers that are so overrated that they're underrated?

To add detail to what I'm asking: Name a boxer who gets so hyped up that some of their qualities get overlooked.

Lucas Matthysse can clean up 140 no problem once Danny leaves. He's definitely not just a wrecking machine, he would give Rios/Alvarado a boxing lesson. He can beat Ruslan too, but thats a pretty close fight.

Comment

That happened to Matthysse. He was hyped up so much as this power punching machine with wrecking ball fists that people overlooked the patience he typically fights with, which is a huge asset for him.

Broner bought so much into the next Mayweather hype that he never developed a more aggressive power punching style that fits his strengths.

Comment

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
        Lucas Matthysse can clean up 140 no problem once Danny leaves. He's definitely not just a wrecking machine, he would give Rios/Alvarado a boxing lesson. He can beat Ruslan too, but thats a pretty close fight.
        Yeah, Lucas does a lot of subtle things to control distance and counter punch. A lot of that gets unnoticed by people because of his power.

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
        That happened to Matthysse. He was hyped up so much as this power punching machine with wrecking ball fists that people overlooked the patience he typically fights with, which is a huge asset for him.

Broner bought so much into the next Mayweather hype that he never developed a more aggressive power punching style that fits his strengths.
        Yeah, and the problem is/was that Broner fell for his hype instead of just being himself. I truly believe that he tried to fight more and more like Floyd once the comparisons became almost overwhelming.

Comment

GGG in that the hype (i.e he'll KO ward and whooped Kovalev in sparring etc) has led to some people to effectively 'anti hype' him (i.e. he's nothing on that amazing kid chocolate) if that makes sense.
          Last edited by Daddy T; 02-08-2014, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by House of Stone View Post
            GGG in that the hype (he'll KO ward and whooped Kovalev in sparring etc) has led to some people to effectively 'anti hype' him if that makes sense.
            I'm part of the anti-hype I guess. Personally I see Ward having his way with GGG. I don't think GGG has ever faced such a boxer close to Ward as a professional.

Give GGG a "fighter" itll be a hell of a match, I do think however that he can be the king of this MW division IF he can land the fights..

As of now he's either an overhyped bum who should move up according to the haters(makes no sense why he should move up) or a wrecking machine that beats everyone from 160-175.

I think he's ready for the real deal fights now, if GGG wants to cement his legacy these next 3 years are the time to do so.

Comment

Also, I think Ruslan could fit this topic.. he showed great improvement in his last fight with Alvarado. If he could start catching the jab and throwing a counter jab back at the same time his success will be even greater.

Comment

I'm part of the anti-hype I guess. Personally I see Ward having his way with GGG. I don't think GGG has ever faced such a boxer close to Ward as a professional.

Give GGG a "fighter" itll be a hell of a match, I do think however that he can be the king of this MW division IF he can land the fights..

As of now he's either an overhyped bum who should move up according to the haters(makes no sense why he should move up) or a wrecking machine that beats everyone from 160-175.

I think he's ready for the real deal fights now, if GGG wants to cement his legacy these next 3 years are the time to do so.
                I think most reasonable people believe that GGG can dominate the middleweights but would probably lose to ward. But there are two extreme camps, one thinking he will KO anybody through 175 and another that think he gets outboxed by anybody with decent skills. Both extremes are wrong while the middle of the road is right imo

Comment

of course he would. what do you think would happen? everytime golovking gets close ward will clinch for dear life or shoulder jump into him in order to smother him and ward's fans will say its a great performance while everyone else kills themself

Comment

Lucas

Paulie

Quillen

Stevenson

Kovalev

Comment

Working...
                    X