No announcement yet.

Pavlik clash could be an option for DeGale

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pavlik clash could be an option for DeGale

Promoter Frank Warren expects his dispute with James DeGale to be resolved soon – and would like him to take on former world champion Kelly Pavlik.

DeGale released a statement in January announcing that he had split from Warren, who insists the Harlesden super-middleweight is contracted to him until April 2013.

Warren believes DeGale, 26, will return to the ring in the near future and has identified American star Pavlik as a possible opponent.

A clash between the pair was also discussed last year and would be a big test for DeGale, who recently opted not to challenge Robert Stieglitz for the Russian’s world title after being offered the fight at short notice.

Warren and DeGale are in dispute.

Pavlik has twice held the WBC and WBO middleweight belts and is attempting to rebuild his career after a number of personal problems.

The 30-year-old has also been touted as the next opponent for Britain’s Carl Froch.

But IBF champion Froch is keen for his next bout to be in Nottingham and Pavlik, who has won 40 of his 42 professional contests, has never boxed outside the United States and prefers to fight in his home state of Ohio.

Warren said: “He [DeGale] needs to pull his finger out. He’s had some good offers for fights.

“We’ve got a dispute over our management agreement and hopefully that’s going to be resolved quite soon and then we’ll decide where we’re going to go from there.

“Kelly Pavlik, if James keeps himself well, is one of those fights I think you could look at although there’s travelling involved.”

DeGale was impressive in his last outing, successfully defending his European title with a fourth-round stoppage of Cristian Sanavia.

It was his second victory since a disputed points defeat against arch-rival and fellow West Londoner George Groves last year.

Warren has subsequently become Groves’ promoter and says he does not know whether that has been a factor in his fall-out with DeGale.

He added: “Everybody has to be professional and move forward. It’s not about any favouritism.

“It shouldn’t affect things. Nigel Benn and Chris Eubank were both signed with me. So was Steve Collins. It’s not a problem.

“James is a good fighter. I just feel there are too many people around him who don’t understand boxing.”

DeGale isn't ready for Pavlik just yet. Perhaps in two/three fights time...

Comment

I agree, but it's interesting to see warren uncharacteristically eager to make such a risky fight. Maybe he wants to give him an L before letting him go? He was also ready to put Kell Brook in some risky fights just before Brook turned them down and left him.

Comment

Originally posted by badnewsbrown View Post
        I agree, but it's interesting to see warren uncharacteristically eager to make such a risky fight. Maybe he wants to give him an L before letting him go? He was also ready to put Kell Brook in some risky fights just before Brook turned them down and left him.
        Warren bought Pavlik's name up as possible DeGale opponent after just James's 9th or 10th fight....I remember posting in that thread....at THAT time I felt like JD could beat him....not so sure anymore

Comment

I don't think Degale is nowhere near ready at this point. He needs many more development fights before going on even that Pavlik level. At this point i don't even see degale beating the guy pavlik beat - rosinsky or whatever his name is. Hopefuly he gets some good fights soon.

Comment

Degale has been quiet since losing to Groves. He's a talent but needs to stay active

Comment

Originally posted by SekondzOut View Post
              Warren bought Pavlik's name up as possible DeGale opponent after just James's 9th or 10th fight....I remember posting in that thread....at THAT time I felt like JD could beat him....not so sure anymore
              lol that Jordan picture you got there is hilarious.

Comment

If you actually look at the words Warren says he just mentions that Pavlik 'could' be one of the fights in the future IF James 'keeps himself well'.

Pretty vague to say the least. He's just mentioning a name fighter so his fighter gets his name in the press. And it's worked. Frank wants to keep Degale in the stable so now he can go back & say "Look, I got them talking about you".

Then, before DeGales next bout he can say "Win this & you might get Pavlik"

And so on & so on.

But I think DeGale would have a good chance against Pavlik. He has decent whiskers & works the body well. We're still not sure what Kelly has left. I'd have Pavlik as a slight favourite right now but not by much.

Comment

He's right though about DeGale needing to pull his finger out.

It was a close fight against Groves and he just about lost. The way people go on you'd think DeGale got absolutely dominated. I think he was over the top though before the fight and that cost him a lot.

He loses a very close fight and everyone writes him off as a hypejob. However, he's been very quiet since Groves and needs to start making a name for himself again.

I rate him highly but he looked awful in the last fight i sae of his, against Wilczewski, if im remembering correctly.

Still, like Warren said, DeGale needs to pull his finger out and get back onto the scene again.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Jones Jnr View Post
                    He's right though about DeGale needing to pull his finger out.

It was a close fight against Groves and he just about lost. The way people go on you'd think DeGale got absolutely dominated. I think he was over the top though before the fight and that cost him a lot.

He loses a very close fight and everyone writes him off as a hypejob. However, he's been very quiet since Groves and needs to start making a name for himself again.

I rate him highly but he looked awful in the last fight i sae of his, against Wilczewski, if im remembering correctly.

Still, like Warren said, DeGale needs to pull his finger out and get back onto the scene again.
                    I agree with most of this. I would have had no problem with the Groves fight going either way. But he was the favourite & people ALWAYS get swayed by that. In a close fight the favourite is always perceived as being a big loser. Strange but common.

DeGale last fought in Denmark in April against the aged Italian Cristian Sanavia who was a decade past his prime. DeGale looked excellent against limited opposition (if that makes sense).

Comment

Working...
                    X