No announcement yet.

Face/Jaw Shape a problem?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Face/Jaw Shape a problem?

I've been training boxing for a few weeks and got kind of worried when I noticed something. It seems that every boxer I see who is famous has a fairly pronounced chin and jawline. I was wondering, if you don't have these things does that mean that you would be one of those people who have an innate glass jaw?
    I can't seem to find a single boxer who, like me, has a jawline and chin that are rounded and short (and also not that wide).
    Of course I know I won't really know until I get in the ring but seeing as how I won't be ready for that for at least a little while longer I was just wondering if anyone could shed light on the situation. (I have been punched a few times bare knuckle but never hit flush on the chin).

Comment

This is an intersting topic, normally guys with tiny heads like Roy Jones Jr and Rigondeaux will have weak chins and get dropped a lot, and guys with bigger heads seem to take better shots.

But Amir Khan has a square chin and very crisp pronounced jaw line and he can't take a shot.

Comment

I have worked on a lot of neck strengthening as I've always heard that its important. I do neck bridges.
        I have noticed there are a lot of guys with pronounced jawlines and chins who have a glass jaw. But I wonder if anyone can come up with a guy who has relatively no chin or a weak jawline who can take a good hard punch...cause like I said it seems to me that in general I cant find any really successful boxers who have small chin/jawline. Good point though.

Comment

Strong neck. And Conditioning have to do with

Comment

its just a myth...the shape of your jawline has no bearing on whether or not you can take a shot

guys like paul williams, margarito, and adamek had very pointy chins/weak jawlines and they had iron chins at their peak

and the same is true for the opposite end of the spectrum

it has nothing to do with the shape of your jawline. but your neck muscles and other variables do play a role

Comment

yeah head shape doesn't matter, your nerve structure and brain:cranium size ratio matters more. I have a big head, pronounced jaw and thick neck but I get rocked easily. It's not just my conditioning..

Comment

yes, that's an issue.

the muscles and bones of the face are what we look at all day. university studies have been done that show an almost perfect ability of human beings to evaluate strength based on a person's appearance from the neck up.

a durable face is going to look durable to you. seeing that and recognizing it is natural.

pronounced ridges of the eyes, a sturdily boned jaw, and plenty of muscle in the cheeks and around the jaw all are signs of a strong man, and a strong man is much more likely to be durable.

almost all of your favorite boxers are gifted athletes, and their faces will have muscles, bones, and proportions appropriate to that level of athleticism.

obviously there are acceptions, but for the most part a flag will go up if i see a pro boxer who doesn't have a jaw and face that appears durable.

additionally, certain types of faces are more likely to swell and cut around the eyes. the diet, weight loss and gain, and obviously a history of cuts have an effect on this as well. bam bam rios hardly ever swells, yet he takes punishment constantly. arturo gatti would swell up if you looked at him the wrong way.

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post
                  This is an intersting topic, normally guys with tiny heads like Roy Jones Jr and Rigondeaux will have weak chins and get dropped a lot, and guys with bigger heads seem to take better shots.

But Amir Khan has a square chin and very crisp pronounced jaw line and he can't take a shot.

Well, Amir Khan does have an elite level neck now, so he could easily take a right hand from Tommy Hearns like it's nothing today.

Comment

Originally posted by gratz_the_king View Post
                    its just a myth...the shape of your jawline has no bearing on whether or not you can take a shot

guys like paul williams, margarito, and adamek had very pointy chins/weak jawlines and they had iron chins at their peak

and the same is true for the opposite end of the spectrum

it has nothing to do with the shape of your jawline. but your neck muscles and other variables do play a role

it's not a myth at all. just look at the faces of your favorite pro boxers in comparison to the people you see walking the streets. they've almost always got well boned faces, even though many of them are tiny little guys.

Comment

Working...
                    X