Gunman shooting 5 people in New York Breaking news

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Typical US gun owner

Comment

• Looks like the gunman shot his coworker and the police shot the others when they killed him.

A laid-off clothing designer who killed a former colleague outside New York’s Empire State Building did not fire at police, according to evidence collected so far.

Gunman Jeffrey Johnson, 58, was shot by armed officers, and nine bystanders were wounded.

One witness claimed Johnson had fired at police, but authorities say ballistics evidence so far does not support that.

Johnson had worked for six years as women's accessories designer at Hazan Imports, which is housed in the Empire State Building, but he was laid off about a year ago.

The shooting caused chaos in the heart of Manhattan.

Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said Johnson fired at his former colleague three times at close range after a dispute about 9am.

Johnson then tried to flee but he was confronted by police who had been alerted by a nearby construction worker, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said.

Mayor Bloomberg originally said Johnson “clearly turned his gun on the police”, but that claim is now in doubt.

Some of those injured may have been hit by police bullets, he admitted, however all are expected to survive.

Authorities have few details about Johnson's background so far, but the FBI has ruled out terrorism.

The shooting caused chaos in the heart of Manhattan at the height of the summer travel season and just after the morning rush hour.

Police on their regular anti-terrorism duties in the tourist area rushed to the scene.

Witness Rebecca Fox said: "I was scared, in shock, literally shaking. It was just by chance I missed it.

"I saw a woman covered with blood. Another woman was being taken to an ambulance."

The Empire State Building is one of the city's icons, on par with the Statue of Liberty and the Brooklyn Bridge.

In 1997, six people were wounded and one killed in a shooting rampage on the skyscraper's observation deck before the gunman turned the gun on himself.
      http://news.sky.com/story/976892/new...fire-at-police

Comment

• Originally posted by -Johannes- View Post
        People are really stupid man.

Look at murder rates in the US compared to the ones in Japan.

Compare their gun control and you have to be ******ed not to aknowledge the obvious...
        Why don't you compare it to Switzerland where the government gives it citizens automatic assault rifles or to Mexico who has gun laws as strict as Japan.

The only obvious thing here is how ******ed you look when you only post half the facts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
          Typical US gun owner

LOL, but you got the wrong that's the typical Guitar Hero owner.

Comment

• Originally posted by BMWM3P View Post
            LOL, but you got the wrong that's the typical Guitar Hero owner.
            Good one!...

Comment

• Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
              I'd guess that this illegal act was using an illegally acquired firearm. It doesn't seem, from what I have read, to bear any characteristics of a spree killing. It was just a targeted murder using an unsafe weapon that resulted in the deaths of bystanders.
              Looks like I was wrong. A total barmcake shot someone he knew with his legally owned weapons. He then got into a shootout with two armed and trained police officers. The other people were caught up in the crossfire.

But obviously if more people had guns then it would be safer because they could all shoot the original shooter without causing confusion or missing.

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
                tell that to people in the rural parts of the country, where a gun can save your life
                People in the 'rural parts' can apply for a license in the UK and in other countries. Tighter Gun laws doesn't mean no guns at all, it simply means restriction so the people who don't need them or aren't responsible enough to own them don't have them.

how many states have you been to?

and do you understand that what's good for one state will not always be good for another?
                10+ on the East and West coast.

This isn't just an American issue, gun restriction needs to be implemented in all civilised nations (and in most of them it is but not in the one that needs it most).
                Last edited by Weebler I; 08-25-2012, 07:01 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
                  That was the police shooting the man down. The gunman shot a man twice then walked away and got blasted by the cops around the corner. I'm just wondering how he could have shot 10 people by firing twice, do shotgun pellets really spread that wide?
                  A modified or sawed off shotgun is more maneuverable and lighter than a full size shotgun while retaining much of the destructive power.

Decreasing the length will result to a wider spread; however, it will also degrade accuracy, increase recoil and significantly reduces maximum range.

Comment

• Originally posted by jose830 View Post
                    not how I think...nevertheless you have to be ready for anything in any place...
                    isnt that the reason you claim guns are needed? so that people can protect themselves.

Comment

• Originally posted by BMWM3P View Post
                      Why don't you compare it to Switzerland where the government gives it citizens automatic assault rifles or to Mexico who has gun laws as strict as Japan.

The only obvious thing here is how ******ed you look when you only post half the facts.
                      Mexico has the war between drug cartels, and they get most of their guns from the US.

Switzerland is a small wealthy country without big economic disparity in the population.

Comment

Working...
                      X