Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melligen eyes Floyd

Melligen eyes Floyd
    By Edri K. Aznar
    MARK Jason Melligen has idolized former pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. since he was an aspiring boxer.

Sparring with him at Roger Mayweather’s gym for his first fight in the US last May was a dream come true.

"Matod Pa Sa Lola ni Noy Kulas." Join the story-writing contest on Cebuano folklore and win prizes.

However, he has a bigger dream.

“I really want to fight Mayweather,” said Melligen.

Melligen said if given the chance, he has what it takes to defeat Mayweather Jr. —ring smarts and determination.

“I believe I have a chance of winning against him.

All you need is this and this,” said Melligen, pointing to his head and then his heart.

The 23-year-old former amateur boxing standout said sparring with Mayweather Jr. had a huge effect on his performance for
    his last three fights.

“He gave me a huge boost of confidence.

I would say to myself, ‘I’ve sparred with Mayweather so I can deal with a fighter like you,’” said Melligen of his motivation during his last two fights in the US and Mexico.

Melligen had impressive victories in the US, stopping Gerardo Cesar Prieto in the fifth round in his US debut and outscoring former Manny Pacquiao sparring partner Ramon Montano.

In his latest battle, he stopped Mexican warrior Fabian Luque in the second round in Mexico last June 20.

Melligen said he was praised by the 32-year-old Mayweather Jr. after tagging him with a powerful punch to the head in their sparring session.

Lucky shot

“He told me that he was proud of me because I hit him. I had a hard time hitting him because his head is so hard to hit but I targeted his body and luckily hit his head,” said Melligen, who believes that his style has similarities with Mayweather’s.

Melligen feels that he would be given a title shot by Top Rank soon but he isn’t rushing himself.

“I’m not in a hurry for a world title. I can wait. It’s all up to my promoter,” said Melligen.

Melligen is also open to fighting Ricky Hatton, David Diaz and Michael Katsidis.

Melligen will return to the ring on on Aug. 15 at the Hard Rock Café in Las Vegas. He will be in the undercard of Filipino world champion Nonito Donaire Jr.’s fight against World Boxing Association super flyweight king Hugo Cazares.

does anyone know this kid or anything about him? He sounds interesting. I guess Floyd is messing around alot with over seas stuff lately, huh? Maybe he will really start getting some fans over there. Anyways, what weight class is this kid? He's a long way from fighting Floyd if he's talking about Diaz & Katsidids. Does he have real skills? Can he be a top guy in the division?

Comment

Working...
    X