No announcement yet.

Sugar Ray Robinson couldn't fight so often against current fighters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
    The difference between then and now isn't IN the ring it's the way business was done!
    There was NO ppv no closed circuit and no even TV you had to get your main percentage by putting butts in the seats. This was the era of LIVE boxing with the LIVE gate as the bank.
    Often when contenders fought the opposing promoters had deals that the rematch could go back to the losers city and that was a huge part of the promotion. A New York City fighter fighting in Chicago and vice versa could develop into a great gate.
    Back then you needed to be an action fighter or the seats would not be filled by your ticket sales. Robinson was a tremendous boxer who was untouchable in his welter days but out boxing people for 10 rds didn't work that well in a 15rd title fight against the top tier guys. He had to change his Methods & Techniques and mix in power punching with his speed and utilize his high volume punching to overwhelm his competitors. Action fighters did well then there were very few counter punchers and lateral movers had to step in and trade to an extent or they weren't used by the promoters.
    Fighting 2 to 3 times a month once you were established was the way it was done then you took advantage of promoters wanting to bring you in as a huge support to a live show. Robinson needed to go support a show against a second and even third tier opponent because his management and promotion could broaden their connection with another area, again NO TV! You see the business was a totally different affair then.
    Todays fighters activity is closer to the days prior to Jack Johnson when the champs fought once or twice a year. Their names were kept alive by newspaper sports writers who "embellished" the truths!!!

Now to this comparison list;
    First off all the 2014 men are still active and their place in history can still be undecided.
    Other than Pac and Floyd I doubt Khan, Marquez, Bradley, Guerrero, Alexander can stand next to the 1942 list! The book is still out on Brook, Thurman and Maidana with Juan and Robert having a handful of bouts at 47!
    Robinson defeats all of the men on both lists, anyone who thinks he doesn't really needs a reality check. Charley Burley would also win over everyone on the 2014 and Holman can too! Zivic is easily one of the most under rated competitors in boxing, this guy was capable of unbelievable performances.
    Servo could have some problems with Manny & Floyd.

Again I think its unfair to comment on Thurman, Brook, Porter and Marcos because their just starting their careers as headliners after getting through their early career tests! From what I see early on none are great fighters by technique but that doesn't mean they can't be in great fights and win.
    I do believe fans get caught up in a fighter who can win a great fight and then is considered a great fighter. Hamsho and Antuofermo were in great fights along with Gatti but their not great fighters.
    Lets have these young men get into their primes and then compare them to the Burleys and Cocoa Kids!!!

Lastly the comment about LaMotta is so ridiculous to me it pains me to even answer questions and insults from people who the old man (90 yrs) could STILL kick the crap out of but try to learn ok muffets.

To be a presser you must learn distance and that's learning steps that your opponent needs to take to get into his range to land on you and his escape from your punches. Here one of the methods that Jake used as well as any fighter in history used.
    He would get into his opponents landing range and take some shots (while turning or pulling) to lessen the impact. This gave his opponent a positive feel about distance and range. Throughout a few rounds Jake would throw a right or left to get the opponent moving one way or the other and again feel good about his escape routes. All of a sudden the distance "closed" Jake gets under then comes over and the hand that wasn't used to afford the escape comes in to freeze the escape! LaMotta was a genius at setting traps and then before the opponent could adjust if he had that in him to begin with Jake would wear him down and take his conditioning away!
    He is one of the few fighters in boxing history who was respected by fear!!!
    One thing the movie got right was that this guy was a ****ing animal who set traps and destroyed men without having devastating one punch power!
    There's a reason he is listed as a top ten Middleweight of all time because it's on film to see and he proves it every year.

......and once again a few green posters here can't rewrite boxing history. The "modern era" in boxing began in 1932, that's when the styles from 1888 up to 1920 changed. J. Johnson was the beginning of the stand up stiff punches guy beginning to use lateral moves and work combinations off jabs.
    When Dempsey met Tunney that was the beginning of the slugger vs boxer and Tunney and Louis brought in the new era that was supported by the greatest boxers ever.
    So if you want to talk about todays fighter "current" is always a good description ot make up something to your liking but "Modern" describes a style that's still in use and it goes back to the early 30's!

Finally;...Referring to Ali & Frazier and others who are the crest of boxings talents and personalities in a degrading and totally disrespectful way is a sure way to have people get pissed off and respond and that's how a thread is developed in the "Modern Era" of forums. To me it's cheap sensationalism and lies and when you degrade and violate
    the best that a sport has to offer you become a troll and a pest who in reality is putting themselves on display for ridicule. Having to stoop so low just to get some attention even if it's negative is pretty sad to me.
    Sounds like joining a boxing gym just might build some character that's obviously lacking in a few of the "new kids"! You know the "modern ones"!
    Ray Corso
    I don't always agree with you, but that was a great post. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Comment

Thread starter trolled me in another thread about my avy pic. He got a bite outta me so prob thought he'd come here and start a thread on it the next day.

Comment

Working...
      X