No announcement yet.

Beginner Training on Heavy Bag

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner Training on Heavy Bag

I'm looking to start a training regimen at home on a heavy bag; its likely i wont have any exposed beams to support a hanging bag, is there much lost in the movement of a standing bag or hanging bag on a stand that i should consider?

what would you reccomend for a long term heavy bag, i'm 6'4" and 210 right now, though im not in great shape. i was looking at the 100 and 120 lb hanging bags, but im not sure what to get and cannot find a solid referance guide. any help is greatly appreciated.

in addition, are there any good workout programs for the heavy bag for people just starting out?

thanks for the help

get the angle bag, a double clamp that looks like it would fit whatever wooden piece you're trying to screw it into, and a 250+lb industrial spring. I don't have any beams either. The title angle bag I'm talking about is only 100 bucks and about 60 pounds but well worth it. Teddy Atlas has a better version of the bag I have, but it's overpriced...

another good cheap bag is the headhunter from title

(id get that title angle bag if you had the money)

Comment

You situation is similar to mine. I got a 100lb everlast nevertear synthetic leather bag, along with an everlast stand, price wise its really not that bad, and its really perfect for being a beginner/hobbiest (I should know, I aint no real fighter...yet) - but I'm pretty sure the everlast stand only holds bags up to 100lbs, so if you want a heavier bag you have to figure something else out. But I've had this bag and stand for about a year now, and its holding up great. I beat the tar out of it at least a few times a week and have no problems.

Good luck, don't forget to get some hand wraps and decent bag gloves. Go with title, they got good leather bag gloves that don't cost much. But if you got the money buy some Grants.

There are some drawbacks to not having the bag hang from a beam - its basically impossible to move 360 degrees around the bag, but that's no reason not to incorporate as much movement as possible anyway. Also, you'll have to put weights on the pegs/legs of the stand. As much as possible, based on your size you'll have enought mass behind your punches to move that stand and bag around a lot, so you should put as many weights on the pegs as possible (like 50lbs at least on each peg, and there are 3, 2 on the side one in back). If you don't have weights, a good cheap fix is to buy some bags of salt, or sand or something from home depot or somewhere. I have weights and a few 20 lb. bags of salt on each leg. You basically have to do this, or the bag will move everywhere and it would be just to annoying to even use.

If your looking for heavy bag workouts, what I did when I first got the bag was do a lot rounds of shadow boxing - then go down and just hit the bag, without doing rounds, just getting a feel for hitting something, workin up a sweat, probably in about 30 sec spurts - then after a few days I'd start doing rounds: 1st round focus on 1-2, 2nd round throw only jabs, 3rd round only right hands, 4th round put it all together. You can also do punch out drills: 30 secs of non-stop straight punches. Start by only doing straight punches, look up technique videos on youtube, watch them multiple times, look up tons and tons of fights too and look at the shoulders and footwork of technical fighters.

Also check out www.rossboxing.com there are some heavy bag workouts on there.

...can you tell I love hitting my heavy bag?
      Last edited by Aperion; 03-13-2010, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aperion View Post
        You situation is similar to mine. I got a 100lb everlast nevertear synthetic leather bag, along with an everlast stand, price wise its really not that bad, and its really perfect for being a beginner/hobbiest (I should know, I aint no real fighter...yet) - but I'm pretty sure the everlast stand only holds bags up to 100lbs, so if you want a heavier bag you have to figure something else out. But I've had this bag and stand for about a year now, and its holding up great. I beat the tar out of it at least a few times a week and have no problems.

Good luck, don't forget to get some hand wraps and decent bag gloves. Go with title, they got good leather bag gloves that don't cost much. But if you got the money buy some Grants.

There are some drawbacks to not having the bag hang from a beam - its basically impossible to move 360 degrees around the bag, but that's no reason not to incorporate as much movement as possible anyway. Also, you'll have to put weights on the pegs/legs of the stand. As much as possible, based on your size you'll have enought mass behind your punches to move that stand and bag around a lot, so you should put as many weights on the pegs as possible (like 50lbs at least on each peg, and there are 3, 2 on the side one in back). If you don't have weights, a good cheap fix is to buy some bags of salt, or sand or something from home depot or somewhere. I have weights and a few 20 lb. bags of salt on each leg. You basically have to do this, or the bag will move everywhere and it would be just to annoying to even use.

If your looking for heavy bag workouts, what I did when I first got the bag was do a lot rounds of shadow boxing - then go down and just hit the bag, without doing rounds, just getting a feel for hitting something, workin up a sweat, probably in about 30 sec spurts - then after a few days I'd start doing rounds: 1st round focus on 1-2, 2nd round throw only jabs, 3rd round only right hands, 4th round put it all together. You can also do punch out drills: 30 secs of non-stop straight punches. Start by only doing straight punches, look up technique videos on youtube, watch them multiple times, look up tons and tons of fights too and look at the shoulders and footwork of technical fighters.

Also check out www.rossboxing.com there are some heavy bag workouts on there.

...can you tell I love hitting my heavy bag?
        Same here... I try to go atleast 6 rounds on it every day

Comment

Working...
        X