Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did older fights last so long. ????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did older fights last so long. ????

I mean they fought damn near every weak in vicious fights sometimes theyd fight ATg fighters a couple times in a year. How is this possible? By today's standards most guys would lose there prime and be shot to hell.

Is it just a testament to how good they are?
    Was it ped's
    Or was them fighting so much a benefit that there body's could just take that punishment?

I shoulda put this in the history section.

I dont necessarily agree. I think guys could do it today. For every ATG they fought, they also fought 10 guys who were average to bad. It could be like instead of Floyd sparring, he fights Cotto but then after that he has like 4 fights against Matthew Hatton, Cotto's lil brother, Jesse Vargas, and guys even lesser than that

Comment

I think people overlook the preparation that goes into modern day fights. Fighters in the olden days may have fought every other week however I think present day fighters would have more sparring sessions in build up for the fight.

It is also the conditioning of fighters, nowadays fighters are more like machines built to do maximum damage, they also cut a lot of weight to make the fight which makes them more fragile.

Comment

/in before move to history section.

Because the sport was all around more competitive then. That means you now notice how the sport has been in decline all these years. Fighters today are babied, fighting once, twice a year if they are the top fighters. In the old days, you had to defend your title almost monthly, and to even fight for a title you had to have way more than 20-something fights. more like 50 or 60. It was a harder sport, and there was more talent. You had two people boxing each other for 15 rounds, today you have early round KO's and high KO ratios, due to lack of talent and poor levels of instruction.

Comment

Boxing is 75% mental and 25% physical, some will say 90% mental and 10% physical but boxing is a mental sport first and foremost, fighters back during the time you're speaking of were stronger mentally thus stronger physically and could endure weeks of punishment inside the ring, times were different back then so a different mentality was needed

Today's fighters have it easier and because of the fighters who paved the way before them and now because of this fighters today have puzzy mentalities and are real weak mentally, money is really what changed the game, so its the economics of the game as well....all in all fighters could do this back then because they were stronger mentally...the body follows the mind....Strong Mind = Strong Body

Comment

Life was harder, so men had to be too.

Comment

I see we are back to the thinking of everything in the past is much greater then the present? I wonder what people 30 years from now will be saying about this era

Comment

Originally posted by DLT View Post
                I see we are back to the thinking of everything in the past is much greater then the present? I wonder what people 30 years from now will be saying about this era
                If boxing continues to decline, that is what will be recognized. Because the sport has been in decline for over 50 years, and that is a fact, not an opinion. Go do research then come back with a more educated opinion.

Comment

They were like corley

Comment

Originally posted by DLT View Post
                    It is the trend of history. Societies tend toward decline, particularly after they peak.

The myth embracing person is actually the one that assumes that "things will always be as they have been".

If you want to avoid the cycle you have to work at it, but the only thing that is automatic is decline.
                    Last edited by res; 05-24-2012, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X