No announcement yet.

Hacker Group Threatens Sony, PSN Undergoes Maintenance

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hacker Group Threatens Sony, PSN Undergoes Maintenance

Anonymous issues threat against PlayStation domains.
    April 4, 2011

Noted hacker group Anonymous issued a threat to Sony this morning saying it would attack its web domains in response to the company taking legal action over George Hotz and others over breaking the PlayStation 3's security.

The group issued a press release on its website, telling Sony: "You have victimized your own customers merely for possessing and sharing information, and continue to target those who seek this information. In doing so you have violated the privacy of thousands of innocent people who only sought the free distribution of information." The group also posted a video threat on YouTube, which is embedded below.

Soon afterwards, Sony said on its Twitter account that PSN is currently "undergoing sporadic maintenance" and that access to the PSN "may be interrupted throughout the day." Additionally, the PlayStation Blog and the official PlayStation website have since been loading slowly or not at all.

SCEA has yet to officially confirm these issues are due to a cyber attack. We'll update this story if the company releases a statement.

Too late sony. Boost your security all you want. If it truely is "anonymous" you pissed off, you're boned.

GG

Comment

I got an email saying Best buy was hacked of ppls emails, their Reward zone, is being investigated too LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Ether View Post

Anonymous issues threat against PlayStation domains.
        April 4, 2011

Noted hacker group Anonymous issued a threat to Sony this morning saying it would attack its web domains in response to the company taking legal action over George Hotz and others over breaking the PlayStation 3's security.

The group issued a press release on its website, telling Sony: "You have victimized your own customers merely for possessing and sharing information, and continue to target those who seek this information. In doing so you have violated the privacy of thousands of innocent people who only sought the free distribution of information." The group also posted a video threat on YouTube, which is embedded below.

Soon afterwards, Sony said on its Twitter account that PSN is currently "undergoing sporadic maintenance" and that access to the PSN "may be interrupted throughout the day." Additionally, the PlayStation Blog and the official PlayStation website have since been loading slowly or not at all.

SCEA has yet to officially confirm these issues are due to a cyber attack. We'll update this story if the company releases a statement.
        The problem I have with this is, for one I hate hackers! Two, this group claims to be fighting for the right for people to trade information and such, yet are willing to ruin the online experience for those exact same people (and everyone on the PSN).

Ah, anyway, guess I will just have to see how this affects me...

Comment

Originally posted by HandSpeed303 View Post
          The problem I have with this is, for one I hate hackers! Two, this group claims to be fighting for the right for people to trade information and such, yet are willing to ruin the online experience for those exact same people (and everyone on the PSN).

Ah, anyway, guess I will just have to see how this affects me...
          they didnt ruin anything in regards to the online experience for psn users. sure the psn store is down but this is just reaction on their part. its always been a choice to use the hack to download games. sony allowed for users to install linux without properly investigating if there were loopholes in allowing this and paid for it. instead of counting their losses they themselves prohibited the use of linux putting the people that bought the first gen ps3 for the full price (like me) in a major disadvantage. not only did people like me buy a machine expecting they would be able to use it to its full potential but we're actually being victimized by the reluctancy of sony to properly prevent events like this

panda doesnt support the ps3 hackers, the online experience is too important for me to give up but sony havent been handling themselves well and couldve prevented all this

Comment

I have mixed feelings on it. I absolutely hate spending my money on something, and then being told what i can and can not do with it. Especially in the computer world. I hate buying a computer, telling it that i want to delete or modify a file and the computer saying "No, thats a violation of" blah blah blah. I paid for it I should be allowed to tinker with it.

Sony is suing these dudes that anonymous is trying to protect for 1.4 million because they posted information on how to hack into your own ps3?

That makes me sad, but the proper way to handle it is for everyone to stop buying sony, not to cyber attack them.

But i can't say i'm not excited to see how this plays out

Comment

Lulz, that must be why I couldn't get into PSN on me PSP yesterday.

Comment

Sony Investigating Possible Cyber Attack
                Says it may have been targeted from an "outside party."
                April 5, 2011

Sony said today it is investigating what caused PlayStation Network and its web domains to suffer from outages yesterday. The company issued a statement this morning suggesting it was a possible target from an "outside party." The statement can be read in full below:
                We are currently investigating, including the possibility of targeted behavior of an outside party. If this is indeed caused by such an act, we want to once again thank our customers who have borne the brunt of the attack through interrupted service. Our engineers are working to restore and maintain the services, and we appreciate our customers' continued support.

Yesterday, the hacker group known as Anonymous issued a threat to Sony saying it would attack its web domains. Sony later said PSN would be "undergoing sporadic maintenance" and that access to the PSN "may be interrupted throughout the day."

Comment

When I turned on my PS3 yesterday and tried to log in to my PSN account, every time this message came up saying:

An error has occurred. You have been signed out of the PlayStation Network.

I'm guessing these hackers are to blame?

Comment

Sony should drop that lawsuit.

Comment

Working...
                    X