Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calzaghe SMW reign vs. Hopkins MW reign

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was laughing at your post, hence the lmao.

johnson was always better than reid. and speaking of johnson calzaghe ducked him no less than THREE documented times.

hopkins at least had the balls to fight anyone during his reign unlike calzaghe who it took ten years before he stepped up and fought a legit challenge in lacy. ten years. always had some excuse he was scared of flying, some convenient injury, some type of problem. and he revealed that himself in his book and interviews the man was terrified of losing, hence the pathetic padding of his record.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
      I was laughing at your post, hence the lmao.

johnson was always better than reid. and speaking of johnson calzaghe ducked him no less than THREE documented times.

hopkins at least had the balls to fight anyone during his reign unlike calzaghe who it took ten years before he stepped up and fought a legit challenge in lacy. ten years. always had some excuse he was scared of flying, some convenient injury, some type of problem. and he revealed that himself in his book and interviews the man was terrified of losing, hence the pathetic padding of his record.
      You have an agenda that I don't have. Hopkins' comp minus Jones who he lost to was crap until the Holmes fight. It's true that the division sucked and Don King was holding onto Joppy and Holmes (?), but his comp still sucked. Johnson was a nobody back then. He wasn't regarded as better than guys like Vanderpool and Woodhall. Calzaghe at least strung together a lot of wins over guys who at some point held belts during the quiet part of his reign.

If I got even money, I'd bet on Reid over Johnson in a second given the versions we're talking about. And I'm a winning gambler with boxing, comfortably.

Comment

The whole Hopkins/ Calzaghe debate needs to end, I'm not even a fan of Hopkins (respect him though) and he trounces Calzaghe in every aspect of boxing. He has a better Resume, Better skill, much much greater Legacy, and made Calzaghe look like a fool at the age of 43.

Comment

calzaghe, to be honest

Comment

Bumville.........
            Last edited by Danny Gunz; 07-01-2012, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MRBOOMER View Post
              He lost the tarver fights? News to me considering they only fought once
              You know I meant Taylor. He only fought Tarver once, and it was at LHW.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
                doesn't matter that he "lost" to Taylor.

beating undefeated glen Johnson and Trinidad alone is better than anything joe did at smw. not too mention hopkins fought and beat every top fighter in the division, which calzaghe didn't do (as pointed out he only fought TWO top 5 guys that entire time).

its really a no brainer.
                Glen isn't all that. Was he even ranked in the top10 back then? Trinidad wasn't a MW, but sure, it was a good win.

Comment

Originally posted by Bring It On View Post
                  Glen isn't all that. Was he even ranked in the top10 back then? Trinidad wasn't a MW, but sure, it was a good win.
                  hearns wasnt a MW either, does that mean he wasnt a great win for hagler? trinidad was a beast, his best weight was 154 but at 160 he was still a great fighter and it was a great win for hopkins. better than anything calzagha achieved in his career.

glen is all that, or i should say was all that. back when he fought hopkins he was one hell of a fighter. much better than lacy for example who is considered one of calzaghes best wins. g. johnson at any point in his career would straight up murder lacy, completely diffrent class of fighter. that too was just as good if not better than anything joe did at 168.

calzaghe at 168 didnt achieve anywhere near what hopkins did at 160, this should be common sense.
                  Last edited by #1Assassin; 07-01-2012, 07:23 AM.

Comment

So what I'm getting from this thread is that in order to say Hopkins' reign was better, you have to pretend that Glen Johnson was the man 15 years ago and Trinidad at middle was better than a peak Kessler. Also leave Eubank out of the discussion entirely and write off Lacy who was legitimately good before the Calzaghe fight and injuries.

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal Buck View Post
                      So what I'm getting from this thread is that in order to say Hopkins' reign was better, you have to pretend that Glen Johnson was the man 15 years ago and Trinidad at middle was better than a peak Kessler. Also leave Eubank out of the discussion entirely and write off Lacy who was legitimately good before the Calzaghe fight and injuries.
                      lacy was never good. he was always a slow, plodding, one dimensional slugger with no defense or ring intelligence. you are the one pretending he was all that diffrent before joe destroyed him, he wasnt. the only thing diffrent was his competition, he never in his life beat a world class oppponent anywhere near their prime. if you look up hype in the dictionary there is a picture of jeff lacy, proven overrated.

back when hopkins beat johnson he was one hell of a fighter, he had alot of losses bcuz he was a part time fighter who often took fights on short notice or in his opponents backyards. on top of that hes been robbed about half a dozen times. when hopkins fought him he was undefeated, he was fighting for a world title so he took time off to prepare properly and brought alot ot the table.

trinidad at MW was much better than peak kessler, that should be common ****ing sense. kessler was/is a good SMW but tito is an atg, he was one of the very best fighters of his time in any division. when has kessler ever been in a p4p discussion? what great fighters have he beat that can compare to titos resume? tito is a diffrent class entirely even at MW. you are the one pretending tito was completely diffrent at 160, it wasnt his best weight but it didnt decrease his ability as much as you pretend.

eubank was a very good win for joe, he was a bit past his prime but still a very good fighter. still not as good as tito though.

you are the one in denial and pretending dude.

Comment

Working...
                      X