No announcement yet.

Wrestling dropped from 2020 Olympic Games

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrestling dropped from 2020 Olympic Games

Wrestling has been dropped from the 2020 Games to make way for a new sport.

The International Olympic Committee's executive board made its decision after assessing the performance of all 26 sports at the London Games.

"The news from the IOC is extremely disappointing," said British Wrestling chief executive Colin Nicholson.

There is a slim chance wrestling may win a reprieve when the IOC meets in Buenos Aires in September to ratify its choice.

But it will be vying with seven other sports, among them squash, roller sports and sport climbing, that are hoping for inclusion in the Olympic programme.

Modern pentathlon and taekwondo were thought to be the sports most at risk when the IOC committee met in Lausanne, Switzerland on Tuesday, but wrestling was the surprise choice for the axe.

It will now compete with baseball/softball, squash, karate, sport climbing, wakeboarding, wushu and roller sports for a place in the 2020 Games.

"This is not the end of the process, this is purely a recommendation," said IOC spokesman Mark Adams. "This is not about what's wrong with wrestling but what is good for the Games."

It is extremely unlikely that wrestling will be voted back in so soon after being removed by the executive board, but Adams stressed: "Today's decision is not final."

Amateur wrestling's world governing body, the International Federation of Associated Wrestling Styles (FILA), said it was "greatly astonished" by the decision.

In a statement on their website FILA said: "FILA will take all necessary steps to convince the executive committee and members of the IOC of this aberration of a decision against one of the founding sports of the ancient and modern Olympic Games.

"FILA has always complied with IOC rules, is present in 180 countries where wrestling is a national sport for many, offering athletes their only chance of competing at the Olympics and contributing to the Games' universality."

Wrestling, which combines freestyle and Greco-Roman events, was included in the inaugural modern Olympics in Athens in 1896.

It has been in every Games since then, apart from Paris in 1900. At last year's Olympics, it featured 344 athletes competing in 11 medal events.

British wrestler Non Evans told 5 live: "I didn't see it coming. I'm very shocked, surprised and disappointed. Wrestling is one of the most ancient sports, but I think the world has changed."

Despite Tuesday's news, Nicholson said Great Britain would not lose focus in the next Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.

"We will be looking to deliver success in 2016," he said. "We have two athletes who we believe are genuine medal contenders."

Nicholson also pointed out that wrestling remains part of the Commonwealth Games.

"We are fortunate that we are a Commonwealth sport so our athletes will continue aspiring towards 2014 and 2018," he said.

"In the meantime, we will remain hopeful that the IOC may give wrestling another chance to remain part of the Games."

Before making its decision, the IOC's programme commission assessed each sport by looking at such factors as TV ratings, ticket sales, anti-doping and global popularity.

Klaus Schormann, president of modern pentathlon's governing body, said he had lobbied hard to protect his sport's Olympic status.

"We have promised things and we have delivered," he said. "That gives me a great feeling. It also gives me new energy to develop our sport further and never give up."

GB Modern Pentathlon chief executive, Jon Archer, expressed relief at the news that his sport had been spared.

"Olympic inclusion is absolutely essential to our sport," he said. "It is at the centre of everything we do. We can relax now and work to continually modernise the sport and raise awareness."

Samatha Murray, who won silver for GB in the Modern Pentathlon at London 2012, said on Twitter: "This is a very sad day for wrestling. However I want to thank the IOC's decision to keep #ModPen in the OG for 2020. I'm elated. Thank you."

Golf and rugby sevens will be part of the programme for the 2016 Games in Rio de Janeiro after winning inclusion in 2010.

The IOC will also decide in September whether Istanbul, Madrid or Tokyo will host the 2020 Games.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/21427455

are you fuking kidding me? I could name about 20 events that should be removed before wrestling.

2 of which are power walking and equestrian dressage for god sakes.

and how is removing wrestling good for the Olympics? that was the most shocking part of the whole statement. Isn't it one of the key sports that has made the Olympics what they are? smh

Comment

Wrestling is one of the oldest, original Olympic sports. How could you take it away?

Comment

Yeah, wrestling is one of the more worthwhile Olympic events, I was surprised when I saw it and hope it gets overturned. It has a great history and isn't dominated by just one nation.

Comment

The dressage should definitely be taken away over wrestling.Ive no problem with the walking while it may look ridiculous it is a brutal test off endurance.Wrestling being pulled is crazy

Comment

Originally posted by any craic lad? View Post
            The dressage should definitely be taken away over wrestling.Ive no problem with the walking while it may look ridiculous it is a brutal test off endurance.Wrestling being pulled is crazy
            its a ridiculous sport. non of the participants even follow the rules.

you can't at anytime have both feet off the ground at the same time. It has been proven that 100% of the participants break that rule multiple times every single event yet almost no one ever gets penalized. It defeats the purpose of the whole event. The sport itself is highly flawed while also not very aesthetically pleasing to watch.
            Last edited by -Swizzy-; 02-12-2013, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Ridiculous.....someone needs to start a petition or something that will relay our feelings about this to the committee at least.

Comment

This is nuts. The hell are they thinking ?? Wrestling is like one of the purest and oldest form of fighting/combat sport known to men ....

Comment

To be honest, olympic wrestling is kinda ghey, and lame. I love MMA, but the short outfits, pinning and boringness of it doesn't make me too sad to be honest. South park nailed it on the head with their episode about it. There are a lot worst sports still on though.

Comment

Who the f%$& even watches squash and sport climbing? I don't even know what wushu is. Wrestling is the one event I usually watch every summer games, usually have to watch it online because I never see it even televised anymore, along with boxing. This sucks, I also read about this on Bleacher Report.

Comment

Working...
                    X