Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did Marciano retire soo abruptly after achieving 49-0?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rocky could not hold larry holmes jock strap doe...

Comment

Marciano suffered from a cronic bad back since he was a young man.
      As training years continue the pain he dealt with through training for fights got to be to much to deal with.
      He fought 49 times from 47--55 thats alot of work load on a back thats damaged.
      As for Liston as an opponent Sonny wasn't even in 10 rounders when Marciano retired so he wasn't a contender yet!

The public has the Mayweather vs Marciano record really confuused.
      The Marciano record was always compared to other heavyweights records.
      First off Marciano won his fights at heavyweight Mayweathers fought a5t 5 or 6 different weight classes.
      Hell Sugar Ray put together two undefeated streaks with more than 80 wins BOTH times.
      Mayweathers streak pales compared to both.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by nathan_nall View Post
        Well, as much as we all revere Marciano... I think his retirement was bad for boxing in a way. I don't know because I've never really researched it, but I think Marciano leaving only slightly past his prime created the "Undefeated Record" craze. I get that your marketability goes down with a loss, but it shouldn't cause people to write you off.

I'm not naming names [cough cough], but we have people today that think an undefeated record matters more for their legacy than a history of consistently fighting the very best; to the point where they even claim they are better than past greats solely because they "haven't lost".
        Some how, some way in any thread somebody has to mention Floyd.

Jesus Christ stay on the theme

Comment

Originally posted by STREET CLEANER View Post
          Some how, some way in any thread somebody has to mention Floyd.

Jesus Christ stay on the theme
          Says the lady who just mentioned Jesus Christ.

Comment

Rocky was comfortable financially. He was very greedy when it came to money and never paid any drinks to friends etc. There is an article where he was out with Willie Pep and other friends at a bar. Pep said that he will pay the next round. Rocky told him that he is not going to spend any money and neither should he. Pep said that he earned his money the hard way and was determined to keep it .

Rocky also started boxing at a late age, and took a few punishments to get that great record. It is very difficult for a heavyweight to surpass that record.

Comment

He was getting old and his wife was putting constant pressure on him. It wasn't too abrupt.

Comment

He was used up, he took a lot of beatings, he had a great career and most importantly he had money. I seen a documentary on him where the first gym he went into told him to quit before he gets hurt (glad he didn't listen). The main reason he never lost was his will and desire, so if he wasn't 100% up for a fight, he more than likely would have lost and/ or got hurt.
                Also he seen fighters who fought too long (he didn't want to fight Joe Louis), he probably didn't want to end up ruining his legacy that he worked so hard for.

Comment

his manager had him in a slave contract, so he decided to retire. not unheard of

Comment

i dont get how that 49-0 is so special. chaves had double that win streak

Comment

Originally posted by nathan_nall View Post
                      Says the lady who just mentioned Jesus Christ.
                      OK *** boy

Comment

Working...
                      X