Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did Manny rematch Morales instead of fighting Raheem?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
    Pac was free of Murad Muhammad before he ever moved up to 130. Which "Raheem style" fighter was around at 122-126, Gainer?
    he is talking bout Arum son
    NEW YORK -- Erik Morales lost his fight to Zahir Raheem on Saturday night but gets to keep his big payday against Manny Pacquiao anyway.

The purpose of Saturday's doubleheader pitting Morales against Raheem and Pacquiao against Hector Velasquez in Los Angeles was to set up a Jan. 21 bout between Morales and Pacquiao. In pre-fight buildup, promoter Bob Arum said Morales and Pacquiao would meet again if they both won Saturday.

Despite Raheem's upset decision over Morales, Arum claims his original plan stands. Morales and Pacquiao still will fight Jan. 21 and make $1.75 million apiece.

"This does not affect the January 21 fight," Arum said. "We're going ahead with it."

Arum is the promoter for Morales and Raheem, so why not let Raheem fight Pacquiao instead? Because Arum thinks there's more money to be made from a Morales-Pacquiao rematch.

Morales won the first fight, and Arum suspects his loss to Raheem will stoke interest among Pacquiao fans from the Philippines.

"This time the Filipinos will probably be even bullish with Pacquiao's chances. The Filipinos will be betting more money on Manny," Arum said.

It is a good thing Arum is not the commissioner of baseball as he probably would have let the New York Yankees play in the World Series last year despite losing to the Boston Red Sox in the playoffs because the Yankees attract more interest.

Raheem, who fought on the 1996 U.S. Olympic team, instead will try to land a lightweight title shot after scoring the biggest win of his career by far.

"I beat a legend tonight," Raheem said. "I've always believed in myself. I have just always needed an opportunity like this."

Although the decision was unanimous against him, Morales thought he won.

"He didn't seem like he wanted to fight," Morales said. "He kept running. I thought I was more aggressive and should have won. But give him credit. He was slick and he boxed very well. He was very difficult to hit and he got in a few good shots."

Raheem actually was just as aggressive and nearly twice as accurate as Morales. Raheem landed 161-of-586 punches compared with 85-of-543, according to CompuBox. Raheem had a 111-62 edge in power-punch connects. He also staggered Morales in the fifth round.

"I think I'm ready for anyone in the lightweight division now," Raheem said. "Anybody they want to put in front of me, let's go."

Morales said he's ready to go back down to junior featherweight against Pacquiao, although he won't rule out meeting Raheem again eventually.

"I'm still looking at fighting Pacquiao again and then after I beat him, I'll come back and get Raheem," he said. "I'll just study his style and next time I'll have to answer."

Pacquiao held up his end with a sixth-round KO of Velasquez and is happy to have another shot at Morales.

"I will prepare harder this time for Morales," Pacquiao said. "I will get back at him. That's why I will train for no less than two months for our rematch."

Barrera's prospects
    Marco Antonio Barrera also could figure in the future of Morales or Pacquiao. Barrera, who has won two of three from Morales and got stopped by Pacquiao, takes on Robbie Peden Saturday night in Las Vegas.

Barrera's WBC and Peden's IBF junior lightweight titles will be at stake. The winner could be in line for a defense later next year against the Morales-Pacquiao winner.

Perhaps because the fight has not gained the attention of the Morales-Pacquiao doubleheader, Peden's promoter Dan Goosen tried to spice things up by predicting a KO victory for the heavy underdog.

"I believe anyone who has smart money will put a ton of it on Robbie Peden because I feel he is going to stop Marco Antonio Barrera," Goosen said. "That's the type of shape he's in."

"Dan Goosen will not be stepping in the ring," Barrera replied. "The one stepping in the ring is Robbie Peden."

Roy Jones update
    Rumors that Roy Jones injured his left hand in training and might withdraw from his October 1 bout against Antonio Tarver prompted Jones to issue a terse statement saying he will show up for the fight.

"I'll be there," Jones said. "Nothing stops the RJJ."

That's about all Jones has said about the Tarver fight. He's skipped all the news conferences for the bout, remaining home in Pensacola, Florida, while Tarver carries the promotion.

"All he's been is a bunch of hot air," Tarver said of Jones.

As for the injury talk, Tarver said, "Leave all those excuses in Pensacola because I don't want to hear it. He won't be able to hit me with that left hand anyway - so he won't be needing it."

Comment

The reason of all mayweathers fights.

MONEY

(except the may vs pac fight, because his health was first )

lol

Comment

Originally posted by Ashy Larryx View Post
        lol,true

NEW YORK -- Erik Morales lost his fight to Zahir Raheem on Saturday night but gets to keep his big payday against Manny Pacquiao anyway.

The purpose of Saturday's doubleheader pitting Morales against Raheem and Pacquiao against Hector Velasquez in Los Angeles was to set up a Jan. 21 bout between Morales and Pacquiao. In pre-fight buildup, promoter Bob Arum said Morales and Pacquiao would meet again if they both won Saturday.

Despite Raheem's upset decision over Morales, Arum claims his original plan stands. Morales and Pacquiao still will fight Jan. 21 and make $1.75 million apiece.

"This does not affect the January 21 fight," Arum said. "We're going ahead with it."

Arum is the promoter for Morales and Raheem, so why not let Raheem fight Pacquiao instead? Because Arum thinks there's more money to be made from a Morales-Pacquiao rematch.

Morales won the first fight, and Arum suspects his loss to Raheem will stoke interest among Pacquiao fans from the Philippines.

"This time the Filipinos will probably be even bullish with Pacquiao's chances. The Filipinos will be betting more money on Manny," Arum said.

It is a good thing Arum is not the commissioner of baseball as he probably would have let the New York Yankees play in the World Series last year despite losing to the Boston Red Sox in the playoffs because the Yankees attract more interest.

Raheem, who fought on the 1996 U.S. Olympic team, instead will try to land a lightweight title shot after scoring the biggest win of his career by far.

"I beat a legend tonight," Raheem said. "I've always believed in myself. I have just always needed an opportunity like this."

Although the decision was unanimous against him, Morales thought he won.

"He didn't seem like he wanted to fight," Morales said. "He kept running. I thought I was more aggressive and should have won. But give him credit. He was slick and he boxed very well. He was very difficult to hit and he got in a few good shots."

Raheem actually was just as aggressive and nearly twice as accurate as Morales. Raheem landed 161-of-586 punches compared with 85-of-543, according to CompuBox. Raheem had a 111-62 edge in power-punch connects. He also staggered Morales in the fifth round.

"I think I'm ready for anyone in the lightweight division now," Raheem said. "Anybody they want to put in front of me, let's go."

Morales said he's ready to go back down to junior featherweight against Pacquiao, although he won't rule out meeting Raheem again eventually.

"I'm still looking at fighting Pacquiao again and then after I beat him, I'll come back and get Raheem," he said. "I'll just study his style and next time I'll have to answer."

Pacquiao held up his end with a sixth-round KO of Velasquez and is happy to have another shot at Morales.

"I will prepare harder this time for Morales," Pacquiao said. "I will get back at him. That's why I will train for no less than two months for our rematch."

Barrera's prospects
        Marco Antonio Barrera also could figure in the future of Morales or Pacquiao. Barrera, who has won two of three from Morales and got stopped by Pacquiao, takes on Robbie Peden Saturday night in Las Vegas.

Barrera's WBC and Peden's IBF junior lightweight titles will be at stake. The winner could be in line for a defense later next year against the Morales-Pacquiao winner.

Perhaps because the fight has not gained the attention of the Morales-Pacquiao doubleheader, Peden's promoter Dan Goosen tried to spice things up by predicting a KO victory for the heavy underdog.

"I believe anyone who has smart money will put a ton of it on Robbie Peden because I feel he is going to stop Marco Antonio Barrera," Goosen said. "That's the type of shape he's in."

"Dan Goosen will not be stepping in the ring," Barrera replied. "The one stepping in the ring is Robbie Peden."

Roy Jones update
        Rumors that Roy Jones injured his left hand in training and might withdraw from his October 1 bout against Antonio Tarver prompted Jones to issue a terse statement saying he will show up for the fight.

"I'll be there," Jones said. "Nothing stops the RJJ."

That's about all Jones has said about the Tarver fight. He's skipped all the news conferences for the bout, remaining home in Pensacola, Florida, while Tarver carries the promotion.

"All he's been is a bunch of hot air," Tarver said of Jones.

As for the injury talk, Tarver said, "Leave all those excuses in Pensacola because I don't want to hear it. He won't be able to hit me with that left hand anyway - so he won't be needing it."
        He's talking about Muhammad, and you're pulling up an article about Arum saying Morales is a way more marketable fight. Did he say anything that wasn't obvious?

Comment

Triangle theorys do not work so kill that..Torrecamp sparked Manny out and didnt do **** in his career besides drive a cab,so you make no point

So why didnt Manny fight him?
          I make a very good point, you're just to obsessed with hate for Pacquiao to see it. It's already been explained to you why Pacquiao did not fight Raheem. No money or glory in beating Raheem and no revenge for the Morales loss in beating Raheem. Pacquiao fighting Raheem at that time instead of Morales would have made no sense at all. Damn, Pacquiao just got knocked cold by Marquez, isn't that satisfaction enough for you? Do you have to make threads like this to kick Pacquiao while he is down? You got your Manny bobsled going so give the Pacquiao hate a rest already.

Comment

So why didnt he do it?

Raheem was 133 with Morales he could have mad 130..so why not fight the man who beat Morales??hell he even fought Morales for a 3rd damn time
            here's the answer:

Comment

ive seen morales in his prime man,i know my boxing
              yet you needed a 9 page thread to ask why Manny fought Erik and not Raheem, presumably because you weren't following the sport at the time.

Comment

Raheem fought like a coward against Freitas.

Comment

Didnt pac lose to Morales so of course Pac wanted to avenge the loss. Historically, Morales is greater than Raheem, so is a better fight for Pac.

If Pac beat raheem, in years to come, people would just say Raheem who? Not really knowing raheem beat Morales, just like people probably wont know Diaz beat Morales as well and we know what Pac did to Diaz.

Comment

Morales was a bigger name. Pacquiao wanted to avenge his first defeat againts Morales.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Philadel View Post
                      Manny didn't fight Raheem because the dude who was promoting him wanted to keep him away from Raheem's style...if dude is telling the truth is another thing...but thats what he said about Manny fighting Raheem...look it up!!

didn't read through the thread so I don't know if this been dropped already
                      who are you referring to? Muhammad was gone and Manny didn't sign with Top Rank until a year after the Morales rematch was negotiated. Arum owned both Morales and Raheem and his interest wasn't in keeping the fighter he didn't own away from difficult styles, but in making the most lucrative match he could make with Pacquiao - even in victory over Erik, Raheem was nowhere near the brand name that Morales was, hence the Morales-Pacquiao rematch was made.

Pacquiao was using Gary Shaw as his middleman during negotiations for the Morales rematch (following his release from Murad Muhammad's clutches). Arum was Morales' promoter, Roach and Pacquiao felt that they needed someone to represent and 'protect' their side in negotiations with Top Rank, thus Shaw was selected. Shaw was Pacquiao's representative from summer 2005 to spring 2006 while he fought on bills that were promoted by Top Rank - first the Morales-Raheem warm-up bill (on which Manny fought Hector Velazquez, managed by Top Rank affiliate Fernando Beltran), then the big Morales-Pacquiao II show.
                      In Pacquiao’s rematch with Erik “El Terrible” Morales, Shaw earned a cool $250,000 or over P12.5 million, although most of the promotional work was done by Bob Arum and Top Rank Inc.
                      http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=64711 (originally from Manila Standard Today)

Arum had recently signed Raheem at the time of Morales-Raheem, he owned both fighters and had already mapped out the Morales-Pacquiao rematch.
                      LOS ANGELES (Staples Center) – In a card dubbed “Double Trouble” that was supposed to showcase the considerable talent of Erik Morales and Manny Pacquiao leading to a major rematch, “trouble” was the operative word. An unlikely star emerged named Zahir Raheem to upset the carefully choreographed spectacle, possibly dashing one rematch, but setting up an interesting mix of new opportunities.

Morales entered his first lightweight fight a huge favorite, not only of the Los Angeles crowd but also of odds makers. This bout was to be a tune-up for Morales in order to launch him to the major league, mega pay-per-view event with Pacquiao.
                      http://www.thesweetscience.com/artic...quiao-scotched

Arum wasn't about to let those plans be derailed when Raheem upset Morales.

Bob Arum was already the most influential figure involved in Pacquiao's dealings, but his interest was in making lucrative matchups against Pacquiao with his fighters, not in protecting Pacquiao (a fighter he didn't own) from tricky styles.
                      http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=2162540

hence Morales-Pacquiao II was set in stone.

the end.
                      Last edited by S. Saddler 1310; 01-28-2013, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X