Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's the best defensive fighter of all-time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's the best defensive fighter of all-time?

Who is it and why?
    Willie Pep
    27.50%
    Pernell Whitaker
    35.00%
    Nicolino Locche
    7.50%
    Wilfred Benitez
    2.50%
    Flody Mayweather Jr.
    25.00%
    Other (specify)
    2.50%

Will o' the Wisp.

Comment

I'm going to go with Benitez. As with all Defensive guys though, a lot of it is because they don't throw much leather back themselves.

Against orthodox fighters I'd give Floyd a nod to.

you can stick James Toney in there as well as B-Hop, in there primes they were very defensive.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
        I'm going to go with Benitez. As with all Defensive guys though, a lot of it is because they don't throw much leather back themselves.

Against orthodox fighters I'd give Floyd a nod to.

you can stick James Toney in there as well as B-Hop, in there primes they were very defensive.
        B-Hop is more defensive now than he was in his prime. Go take a look at how "defensive" he was in his late 90s fights, Echols I at the top of the list.

Toney is just as defensive as he ever was, it's just no longer as good as it used to be. His reflexes are gone. Hard to say whether B-Hop's reflexes are any worse now. They were never really that great to begin with. His defense comes from a game plan, not too much improvisation in it. I think his problem is just his old legs.

Anyways my pick is Whitaker.
        Last edited by Obama; 12-17-2009, 04:57 AM.

Comment

im NOT a Mayweather fan, and i hate saying it, but Floyds defence is great!

Comment

Pea or Pep in my opinion.

Comment

Do you mean the highest placed defensive fighter on the aTG list? Or the fighter who had the best defence from a technical standpoint?

If the former, Willie Pep. If the latter, Mayweather, Toney, Pea, Benitez are all up there

Comment

sweet pea and mayweather. i'd rather watch a sweet pea fight cause he was way more active

Comment

Originally posted by RightCross94 View Post
                  Do you mean the highest placed defensive fighter on the aTG list? Or the fighter who had the best defence from a technical standpoint?

If the former, Willie Pep. If the latter, Mayweather, Toney, Pea, Benitez are all up there
                  Agreed and I'd add Nicolino Locche.

Unfortunately there's no film of Holman Williams that I know of but he was generally regarded as the best defensive fighter of the so-called "Murderer's Row" which included the likes of Charley Burley and Archie Moore who are both very impressive defensively on film.

Comment

if floyd makes pacman look like maquez in their fight then floyd takes it

Comment

Working...
                    X