Comments Thread For: President Barack Obama Reacts To Passing of Muhammad Ali

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chuckguy View Post
    He doesn't have to respect him.
    He doesn't even realize (as you don't seem to either) that you show class by being respectful to the departed. He also can P on the floor in the concert, but if he had any class or respect he wouldn't. Just because you can say or do something is no reason to say or do it. Wake up.

Comment

Originally posted by PunchyPotorff View Post
      He doesn't even realize (as you don't seem to either) that you show class by being respectful to the departed. He also can P on the floor in the concert, but if he had any class or respect he wouldn't. Just because you can say or do something is no reason to say or do it. Wake up.
      Ok so by your logic we needed to respect hitler bin laden and saddam Hussein

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
        When speaking of Ali's greatness, you can't just not talk about race/war. Ali stood up for that and was very vocal about his treatment as a black man in his prime. Ali is about boxing/war/race/hate...you can't escape these topics when speaking of Ali's life as a whole

Yep.......

Comment

fredhopple, I respect your candor and I also hold in high esteem those who sacrifice their lives in battle.

I also accept the choices of others who reject armed conflict as a pathway in mankind's evolution.

You may view Ali as a racist coward. I see him as a person who upheld his principles.

Please enjoy your weekend, sir.

Comment

Originally posted by fredhopple View Post
            Clay refused to fight for America and joined the Muslims who hated the USA. Clay was no hero and Clay was no idol to be worshiped and respected. Granted Clay/Ali was a great boxer and colorful but any man who won't fight for his country is not much of a man. The legends are those who died fighting for America and defending it. The wounded warriors from all of our wars are the heroes. Clay was just a guy filled with hate for America. Much better men died for America and still are defending the USA. Those are the heroes and deserve our respect. Clay gets my pity.
            The Vietnam War was a pointless war waged on a lie (much like the Iraq War), leading to the death of millions of Vietnamese civilians and thousands of young American soldiers. Ali had every right to oppose such a pointless war and every right to show solidarity with the Vietnamese people (like Martin Luther King did).

Ali didn't "dodge" the draft. If he wanted, he could've fled to Canada or Britain, and not face any consequences. But instead, he stayed in America and fought the draft head-on. He fought against the neo-cons, the white supremacists, and the American war machine. He was willing to be stripped of his belt, be thrown in prison, become America's most hated man, and even be assassinated. It takes extraordinary courage to put everything on the line in order to fight for what you believe in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd9aIamXjQI

And yet, despite America hating him, the rest of the world loved him for opposing the war. And eventually, when the truth came out about the lie behind the Vietnam War, America realized how wrong they were and learned to love Ali too. He wasn't just an American icon, but a global icon. You can continue hating him, but most of the world will continue loving him. Whether American neo-cons like it or not, Ali has earned his place as one of the most celebrated cultural icons of the 20th century.
            Last edited by aAgger; 06-04-2016, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
              If it's dividing its because race relations were a huge problem when Ali was young and his stance on that issue is part of what made him the icon he was.

You can't separate that legacy from the man.
              Again - what I have a problem with is Obama's rhetoric of 'us and them'; it's a nonsensical approach, as president of the United States you're supposed to unite, not divide.

Originally posted by PunchyPotorff View Post
              Not the radicals like you represent. He was elected by the clear thinkers, the progressives.
              Idiotic comment.

Comment

Obama a terrible president

just a poster boy.

Comment

You do know that during the time that Ali lived the US was a really racist country who also treated black folks like absolute shyt?!? Why should he fight a war when he and the other black folks were treated like absolute dog crap? I don;t agree with your statement at all, it's easy to talk especially when one never walked in that mans shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by mdportorock3 View Post
                    You do know that during the time that Ali lived the US was a really racist country who also treated black folks like absolute shyt?!? Why should he fight a war when he and the other black folks were treated like absolute dog crap? I don;t agree with your statement at all, it's easy to talk especially when one never walked in that mans shoes.
                    This^^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by THC View Post
                      fredhopple, I respect your candor and I also hold in high esteem those who sacrifice their lives in battle.

I also accept the choices of others who reject armed conflict as a pathway in mankind's evolution.

You may view Ali as a racist coward. I see him as a person who upheld his principles.

Please enjoy your weekend, sir.
                      Patriotism allows no one to reject thier country as Clay ali did. Clay hated America. Most all love America.

Comment

Working...
                      X