Collapse
No announcement yet.

what was john mugabi power level at

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mugabi had very heavy hands. The truth is that the rest of his game was lacking. I'm usually suspicious of someone whose reputation was built on a loss.

Comment

Mugabi hit very hard but he didn't have the power to compete at the top level. Or the skill! That is a major component. Guys like Foreman, Tyson, Naz all had tremendous power, p4p worthy but they had skill to back it up and in the case of Foreman and Naz, terrific chins!

Comment

John Mugabi had legit power....

While on the subject could someone remind me the name of one of his opponents??
        Mugabi knocks the the guy down/out of the ring and the opponent bumps into the ref and he falls too!!!
        it was while he was undefeated...

Comment

Originally posted by Japanese Boxing View Post
          Over 9000!

Comment

Originally posted by Prince_Pugilist View Post
            Mugabi hit very hard but he didn't have the power to compete at the top level. Or the skill! That is a major component. Guys like Foreman, Tyson, Naz all had tremendous power, p4p worthy but they had skill to back it up and in the case of Foreman and Naz, terrific chins!

mugabi had all the power in the world, the fucc you on about?

and while he wasnt a great technician he wasnt someone who didnt have skills, he was a brawler after all with an olympic background. he had the skills to apply his power which is really all he needed.

how is taking hagler, the single greatest MW in history to hell and back not competing at top level? how is winning a world title not competing at top level? and thats in a great era for fighters at the weight.

he had a good chin too in his prime. but the chin is usually the first thing that goes in a fighter and mugabi took a good amount of punishment not to mention the guys who did put him out were ferocious punchers. his fight with hagler took a whole lot out of him, yet he was still able to win a title.

im not trying to build him up too much, but some of you arent giving him nearly enough credit. mugabi was indeed a beast!
            Last edited by #1Assassin; 03-09-2013, 02:41 PM.

Comment

He missed a left hook in the first round of the Hagler fight that had so much crack in it it must have sounded like a 300 magnum round going by.

Comment

always good stuff RC. the beast won against NABF/USBA competition and failed against hagler, norris. not to bad to lose to these two fighters. loved to watch him on tv back then. none of this ppv scrub fighters stuff. i would have liked to see him be more patient and set a guy up. lul him to sleep and he wasn't in shape. the few times i sparred with him. 3 to be exact. i got low under his punches. hit him on the hip and sometimes borderline low and in clenches kept my head tucked under his chin. he hated it. still i never forget the headaches i had after sparring him. i acted like he was nothing to me but tins of asprin (remember those) helped a little. one a tin a day for a few days lol. honestly;

Comment

I think of The Beast as just that - a Beast! The man was a bomber plain and simple. He had his flaws but power wasnt one of them. I wonder how good he could have been had he trained better, he'd seemingly sneak out of camp in the night only to return half pissed and stinking of booze having had next to no sleep and yet he seemingly still left everyone for dead on the group runs the camp did!

Comment

Working...
                  X