Crunching the numbers : Mayweather's defense vs. Wright's defense

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by larryx View Post
    check boxrec homie..he won...floyd has never lost..get over it
    he shouldnt have though, castillo was robbed.

Comment

Originally posted by El Cabron View Post
      I thought Winky should have won that fight

hell naw..all winky landed was jabs..hopkins damn near doubled the power punch connects

Comment

I thought the fight was closer than what people was saying but i give the win to b-hop
        but like i said before. at a lower weight winky would give hopkins a L

Comment

Originally posted by oldgringo View Post
          No, I think you did it on purpose. *****.
          I don't even like Floyd. A simple use of your "search" feature will sort that out.

NEW TOTALS (casting out Chavez and replacing it with the first Castillo fight).

Wright's totals remain unchanged : He gets his 693 times over the course of those 5 fights, and connects with his opponets 1,178 times.

Floyd's new totals are as follows : Floyd gets hit 599 times, rather than the previous total of 578. An increase of 21 connects landed on him. And Floyd's new connect number is 854 connects over the course of those 5 fights. A decrease in connects by 70 punches.

Comment

Originally posted by boxasmash View Post
            he shouldnt have though, castillo was robbed.
            when you get done floyd won..and robbed??boy please///

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
              I don't even like Floyd. A simple use of your "search" feature will sort that out.

Wright's totals remain unchanged : He gets his 693 times over the course of those 5 fights, and connects with his opponets 1,178 times.

Floyd's new totals are as follows : Floyd gets hit 599 times, rather than the previous total of 578. An increase of 21 connects landed on him. And Floyd's new connect number is 854 connects over the course of those 5 fights. A decrease in connects by 70 punches.
              i know i was just polluting this with nonsense. i'm surprised this good topic hasn't devolved into another trashy floyd thread. sorry.

Comment

I want to make it clear that the numbers are concrete here.

This really doesn't prove which fighter's defense is/was better, it's just some science I suggested be researched earlier, and I felt compelled to look into it myself.

To get a definitive answer on this, you'd have to get the thrown/landed percentages from every single one of their fights in their entire career, and average those all together.

Even then I think the results would be somewhat reflective of what we're seeing right now : Floyd gets hit less (most likely as a result of his elusive style), while Winky lands more shots (most likely as a result of Floyd's low output at times).

Comment

Originally posted by oldgringo View Post
                  i know i was just polluting this with nonsense. i'm surprised this good topic hasn't devolved into another trashy floyd thread. sorry.
                  Oh, it's cool.

I appreciate you and Boxasmash getting the totals for the first Castillo fight.

I searched for them for 20 minutes or so but couldn't find them, and I wasn't about to download the fight and skip to the ending just to find out.

As I said, this isn't conclusive. Just some number crunching I felt compelled to do.

It's pretty interesting stuff, I'll probably make some more threads like this in the future. Comparing different fighters with different styles and whatnot.

It beats arguing with the fanboys.

Comment

thanks for crunching the numbers. imho i'd rather have floyd's defense than winky's... especially since floyd's offense is better than winky's

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post

Those numbers put Wrights effectiveness at 1.69:1 while Floyd is at a lowly 1.42:1

Winky Wright is 16% better than Floyd Mayweather at hitting and not getting hit.

That means that if Wright and Mayweather both landed the same amount of punches in a fight, Wright would get hit 16% less than Floyd would.

Comment

Working...
                      X