Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Kellerman: Golden Boy Has Right Approach For Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I respectfully disagree with Max. I feel GBP has no choice but to put their fighters in with bigger name tough opponents so their fighters can gain bigger name recognition should they win or look good in defeat.
    Let's face it, the only big truly big name fighter GBP has is Canelo (I don't count Hopkins because he has a ownership stake in GBP) and they have not matched him tough because there are few fighters that currently have a bigger name than his. If they were truly matching him tough there is a slew of JMW's that could give him fits but these guys can't get a sparing session with Canelo let only a fight.
    The other fighters they have are only known in certain circles but none are close to transcending all circles or even the sport of boxing.

Since the supposed end of the cold war, you can count on one hand the number of so called big fights GBP has made and ironically of those few even fewer were against TOP TEIR TR opponents.

I understand politic in corporate America. Max has no choice to toe the line on this topic. He has to speak highly of all promotional companies doing business with HBO. To do otherwise could jeopardize his career. I ain't mad at him.

Comment

Originally posted by HAY-B View Post
      Not really trying to get in the middle of you all's conversation, but... What constitutes boxing in your opinion? Is it two people in the middle of the ring just standing there going blow for blow until one falls? Or is it one person beating the living day lights out of the other person? I'm just curious? Are you a fan of boxing or a fan of fighting?

I just happen to be a fan of boxing and I get no enjoyment in seeing two skill-less people standing in the ring going blow for blow, with each person only knowing how to deflect a punch with his or her face. To me I can go to any neighborhood USA and find this action. No need for a TV
      I also get no enjoyment from obvious mis-matchers. Now just because I may have heard of one of the fighters and not the other does not mean it's a mis-match.
      If one fighter is not trying to nullify the others attack or one fighter is not trying to use a jab to set-up a power shot it's not boxing to me.
      Boxing is about violence but its more about controlled violence. In other words its about thinking and being strategic in your attack and your defense in my opinion.
      I'll take all those pawing and nullifying type fights you don't find entertaining over two idiots swinging for the fences that can't get out of the way of the others punch type of tough man competition fights you seem to crave any day. Because to me that's just fighting and anybody with two hands can do it. Everybody can't be a boxer (traditional or boxer-puncher).
      Its all about preference. Just because a fan prefers one style over the other doesnt mean he's not a "true boxing fan".

I"m a big fan of hip hop music. Just because I dont like a particular artists style or music, does it mean I'm not a true fan? No, it means that I'm not a fan of his particular style.

What entertains me it a fighter with a killer instinct. A fighter who enters the ring with the ambition to take his opponents out. That may not entertain you but that's why there's the other types of fighters. Feel free to watch who you want.

Its just crazy at how nowaday's when a fighter excessively clinches, potshots for points, runs, and just does whatever it takes to spoil a fight... Its described by the so-called "boxing aficionados" as "the sweet science". It's as if those types of fans see less fighting as a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Cinci Champ View Post
        i agree to some extent. but you still got to build stars to have big fights. Well see haymon has been bashed and i get some of it others i think its just ridiculous cause even when he gives the fights he should like santa cruz mares or broner porter or broner maidana or jacobs quillen or garcia peterson and garcia khan and garcia matyssee now it sounds like porter thurman and wilder jennings are a few examples hell even guerrero thurman or gary russel lamenchenko or degale dirrel i could go on and on with how its obvious haymon is now starting to make the big fights it just seems like even when haymon does what we want and gives us the good fights people complain. if u want haymon to make big fights quit ignoring the good fights he does make and make it worth it for them to make these fights.

I dont know i love that gbp is willing to make these fights dont get me wrong but its not like even his top fighters have not gotten in the ring with guys they are ridiculously favored against. Not only that I think when haymon does what u guys want thats still not enough for u cause in the end you dont want the big fights u just want him to fail
        Dude you listed some fights from 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by T.M.T View Post
          mayweather jr whoopped pacquiao's ass and thats what counts
          Dont you have to actually hurt or cause physical harm for it to be considered an "ass whooping!"? What floyd did was outpoint Pac. Pac looked like he just spent the day at a spa after that fight. Far from an "ass whooping" LOL.

Comment

Since the supposed end of the cold war, you can count on one hand the number of so called big fights GBP has made and ironically of those few even fewer were against TOP TEIR TR opponents.
            Compare that with the Haymon camp where there's no cold war to worry about. Numerous fighters are all in one big tent. Yet how many high profile fights he came up with so far?

Ever wonder if all these fighters are in the GBP premises?

Last edited by al-Xander; 10-09-2015, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Not really trying to get in the middle of you all's conversation, but... What constitutes boxing in your opinion? Is it two people in the middle of the ring just standing there going blow for blow until one falls? Or is it one person beating the living day lights out of the other person? I'm just curious? Are you a fan of boxing or a fan of fighting?

I just happen to be a fan of boxing and I get no enjoyment in seeing two skill-less people standing in the ring going blow for blow, with each person only knowing how to deflect a punch with his or her face. To me I can go to any neighborhood USA and find this action. No need for a TV
              I also get no enjoyment from obvious mis-matchers. Now just because I may have heard of one of the fighters and not the other does not mean it's a mis-match.
              If one fighter is not trying to nullify the others attack or one fighter is not trying to use a jab to set-up a power shot it's not boxing to me.
              Boxing is about violence but its more about controlled violence. In other words its about thinking and being strategic in your attack and your defense in my opinion.
              I'll take all those pawing and nullifying type fights you don't find entertaining over two idiots swinging for the fences that can't get out of the way of the others punch type of tough man competition fights you seem to crave any day. Because to me that's just fighting and anybody with two hands can do it. Everybody can't be a boxer (traditional or boxer-puncher).
              Why do people assume that people who don't like boring fights, void of drama, only like mindless violence? There is a middle ground that incorporates both strategy and violence, they're also full of excitement and drama. That's what fans want and like. There's too little of that in boxing, especially lately, which is why nobody cares about it anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                LOL.

Mayweather-Pacquiao
                Canelo-Cotto
                Thurman-Guerrero
                Lee-Quillin
                Garcia-Peterson
                Dirrell-Jack
                Dirrell-DeGale
                Broner-Porter
                Thurman-Collazo
                Frampton-Gonzalez
                Huck-Glowacki

Matthysse-Postol
                Santa Cruz-Marez
                Bundrage-Charlo
                Wilder-Stiverne

Lots of quality this year.
                Bold I really didn't care for, Broner already got his sht pushed in by Maidana and exposed for what he is. Mares-Cruz came too late, didn't really care that the fight was finally happening after obscurity due to a year long cherry binge.

Don't know why people are so high on Thurman-Guerrero or Thurman-Collazo. Seems like your typical prospect going through the gatekeeper trial.

Frampton and Huck, I don't follow those guys. Might watch Hucks fight.

PBC need to step out of their bubble to build some hype for these guys against other threats, not keep them fighting bums in obscurity because PBC only has the one other guy to make a real fight with. They did good with Andre and Porter albiet both with Hearn.
                Last edited by SplitSecond; 10-09-2015, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by El-blanco View Post
                  Why do people assume that people who don't like boring fights, void of drama, only like mindless violence? There is a middle ground that incorporates both strategy and violence, they're also full of excitement and drama. That's what fans want and like. There's too little of that in boxing, especially lately, which is why nobody cares about it anymore.

Because on this forum many people label everybody who dares to box as "boring" .

There are levels.
                  For instance, Wlad vs Povektin was absolutely unwatchable, I wouldn't argue with that, but saying that Rigo is boring is either ignorant or specious (Max Kellerman and Bob Arum included).

Comment

Originally posted by B-Bomber View Post
                    Because on this forum many people label everybody who dares to box as "boring" .

There are levels.
                    For instance, Wlad vs Povektin was absolutely unwatchable, I wouldn't argue with that, but saying that Rigo is boring is either ignorant or specious (Max Kellerman and Bob Arum included).
                    Too sophisticated for some people to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post

Frampton and Huck, I don't follow those guys. Might watch Hucks fight.

I think you might want to watch Frampton instead , very good fighter and more entertaining than Huck imo.

Comment

Working...
                      X