Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Roberto Duran: I Would Have Busted All of Mayweather's Ribs!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tiliheels View Post
    when marquez came up in weight from 135 to 147 ppl said floyd was pickin gon the little guy
    but when duran, who would have to come from 135 to 147 for this version of floyd he is talkin about now, says that he will bust his ribs ppl say yea HE SURE WOULD lol...floyd aint losing to no smaller fighter or no one his own size and that is real talk..HE PUTTING A RIGHT HAND FEST ON MARQUEZ AT THE SPEED OF LIGHTENING DURAN WOULD BE NO DIFFERENT
    Marquez was not a 135lber... Marquez had chased Pacquaio UP TO 135. Its a huge difference, we are talking the best natural 135lber of all time, vs Marquez who was already stretching how far he should be moving up in weight at 135...

And to quote SRL "Nobody had ever hurt me to the body before, he hurt me to the body".

Duran could bang at 147 at 135, it would be a white wash. Imagine what Castillo was able to accomplish, then swap castillo with Roberto Duran... you think Floyd would have won that fight?

Comment

• Originally posted by Isaac Clarke View Post
      Styles make fights it couldn't be any clearer than in the Duran vs Leonard fights. 1st fight Leonard went toe to toe, 2nd fight he moved. Two different styles, two different outcomes. Mayweather would beat Duran.
      There is more to it than that. Leonard is on record saying he had people watching duran and picked the fight to happen when Duran was in the worst shape, and would have to spend all of camp making weight instead of preparing for the fight.

Throw in the ****iness of having bullied SRL in the first fight, and lack of preparation for a different kind of fight.

The 2nd fight wasn't as bad as people think.

Comment

• Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
        Duran would've had his work cut out for him against Money Mayweather. For one, Floyd's defense; Especially his upper body movement would have posed serious trouble for Duran; Let alone his lower body movement.

Even if he had Mayweather pinned along the ropes, Floyd was a master inside fighter who was good at covering up, slipping punches, blocking and deflecting his opponents punches with elbows and shoulders.

Roberto would fare better much better against Mayweather if he was an offensive oriented fighter, who stood flat-footed and was a stationary target, because Floyd would have enjoyed more physical advantages against him in terms of height and reach.

Moreover, movement/defense has always been Roberto Duran's achilles heel. I can see this fight as a repeat of the Manny Pacquiao bout in which neither fighter would be able to cut off the ring against Floyd.
        Lower body movement? Everyone that gave Floyd trouble banged him to the body. Castillo, DLH, Maidana, Cotto.

Floyd isnt a runner or a mover, his defense is predicated on having his balance set, and ready to defend. Moving means you might get caught off balance. He is great at moving after punches are thrown, but guys with the ferocity of Duran. They just aren't around anymore. The relentless body attack, with body shots that lift you off the ground. And then his intelligence. Duran was not a dumb fighter, he was brilliant. As gifted technically as Floyd, although fighting a different style. His defense was superb, his reflexes were great, his counter punching, his body punching, his fluidity.

Probably the greatest defense of a come forward pressure fighter ever.

He is without a doubt the greatest of the fab 4,

He is also the only contemporary fighter that purists and historians can unanimously agree is a top 10 atg fighter.

Old timers who are dead set that nobody can ever be better than SRR, have no problem listing Duran as the greatest 135lber of all time, a division that Henry Armstrong fought in.
        Last edited by !! Shawn; 02-01-2016, 03:32 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
          Marquez was not a 135lber... Marquez had chased Pacquaio UP TO 135. Its a huge difference, we are talking the best natural 135lber of all time, vs Marquez who was already stretching how far he should be moving up in weight at 135...

And to quote SRL "Nobody had ever hurt me to the body before, he hurt me to the body".

Duran could bang at 147 at 135, it would be a white wash. Imagine what Castillo was able to accomplish, then swap castillo with Roberto Duran... you think Floyd would have won that fight?
          nobody ever hurt him to the body bc his level of competition was horrible before that fight..and his legs were to good but he didnt use his legs..and then when he did use them he made the guy quit...floyd is not dumb enough to have a bad gameplan in the biggest fight of his life..i have never see it happen..vs corrales he used his legs and f'd that dude up..

Comment

• Originally posted by hugh grant View Post
            Duran gave hagler a run for his money. So Floyd hasn't shown he could beat Duran.
            If Floyd fought GGG at 160 then we would be better to gauge where Floyd is! If Floyd does well I could entertain the idea Floyd could beat a prime duran
            Id go for this. There is just too much of Duran doing the impossible to give Floyd any chance to beat him, outside of playing him to catch him out of shape.

But in a best form vs best form fight. We have an old blown up Duran taking one of the top 3 middle weights of all time to a Split decision.

Comment

• Originally posted by T.M.T View Post
              Duran would've came up short himself. he was in a great era,but boxing is boxing. that said floyd finds away to beat him too. sugar ray would be the only fighter that had a chance to defeat mayweather.
              Yet the slow Maidana, who is Duran in slowmo without hte intelligence or power, gives Floyd a difficult fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by AllEyesOpen View Post
                IMHO I think Hearns has the size, reach and strength to have beaten Mayweather. As for Duran on his best day he could take Mayweather, but Mayweather would have never stood toe to toe with him like SRL did so he might have made Duran quit out of frustration.
                There is no way Mayweather would have ever beat Hearns. Nobody ever outboxed hearns, and there is no way Floyd is putting on the pressure and getting the KO.

Comment

• Originally posted by AllEyesOpen View Post
                  IMHO I think Hearns has the size, reach and strength to have beaten Mayweather. As for Duran on his best day he could take Mayweather, but Mayweather would have never stood toe to toe with him like SRL did so he might have made Duran quit out of frustration.
                  Just like he didnt stand toe to toe vs Castillo.

We are talking prime for prime. Duran was not prime for SRL, which makes it so impressive. At 135, Duran could chase you down no matter how great your legs were.

Comment

• Originally posted by fredhopple View Post
                    Duran-Leonard-Pryor-Hearns-Whitaker-even Benitez would have beaten little mini Floyd. Floyd came along when the great eras of boxing were over and floyd the felon faced weak opposition and made a great name beating weak opponents. Arguello would have stopped floyd. maybe even Boom Boom.
                    Duran Leonard, Hearns, Whitaker I can see. I think Floyd is perfect to destroy Pryor. Benitez I think was too defensive and would lose a razor close decision.

Comment

• Originally posted by RisAri0 View Post
                      Eventually counter uppercuts would take its toll on anyone going to his body, so hard to say if Duran would continue aiming for it. Not to mention Floyd's jab stopping his tracks coming in for it.
                      Duran was the slickest pressure fighter ever. Those counter uppercuts aren't so easy to land on him. He is not a flat footed mexican that stands there and waits to eat a punch after he throws one.

Comment

Working...
                      X