Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is it possible for froch to go down as the best ever british fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TartanSoldier View Post
    That's stupid.

Most people consider the red-haired pasty white Fitzsimmons to be the GOAT of Britain.
    Incredibly stupid.

Pretty much all of the British greats outside of Lennox Lewis are white.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      I think beating Bute on his hometown would be just another notch on his very good resume. But mainly because it's contracted and likely to happen. I'll be happy if it's skipped.

Avenging the Kessler loss would be a big win.

Not much else out there unless he goes to 175 and beats Dawson?

Froch will never beat Ward IMO so I won't entertain it.
      He could certainly beat Chad at this stage IMO.

I'm a big fan of Chad, but Froch present so many problems for him. A come forward fighter with an iron chin, good power and terrific stamina. Pascal for the first six rounds showed the problems Chad has with those type of fighters, then his gas tank started to empty.

Beating Kessler and then a win or two over big names at 175 would do him nicely.

Comment

I know he doesn't want to but I agree with the lads that said he would be if he could move up and grab a few titles at 175.

He could probably clean out that division before Andre Ward arrived. He could definitely beat Cleverley, Shumenov and Cloud and most likely Dawson too.

Comment

No chance Froch becomes the best British fighter, no matter what he does at this point. Wording it like that makes it sound like I have a certain bias against him but it's more like there is no one available to elevate his position in the rankings significantly.

I can't see him transcending the B group with the likes of Eubank, Benn, Calzaghe etc.

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
            No chance Froch becomes the best British fighter, no matter what he does at this point. Wording it like that makes it sound like I have a certain bias against him but it's more like there is no one available to elevate his position in the rankings significantly.

I can't see him transcending the B group with the likes of Eubank, Benn, Calzaghe etc.

Why not dude? Beat Ward and Kessler in rematches, and Froch has a greater resume than Eubank, Benn and Calzaghe

Comment

Absolutely not. Ted "Kid" Lewis, Bob Fitzsimmons, Lennox Lewis, etc. Are all much greater fighters than Froch. Even if he KO'd Andre Ward he'd still not be there.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                i wouldn't give hiim much extra cred on another bute win. what's he done, really?

kessler would be a nice win. a decisive win would also give strength to his performance in the first fight, which was frankly a pick em type of decision.

the real test for froch, imo, is a fight with ward. you want to be a great boxer from a great boxing country? you gotta beat the top guy in your division. then there is 175. froch has crazy long arms. solid bas on him, too. he can make for a solid LHW, imo. there aren't great names there, but it would give strength to wins over top 10 type guys if they're at 175.

i think froch is planning an exit strategy. he's a bright guy. i've heard that he's made some nice real estate moves, and owns rental properties.

two or three more fights for froch are what i think we're likely to see him take. kessler, maybe bute because of that contractual BS. they want the kessler fight on neutral ground or in the UK, and that sounds like a hill they're willing to die on.
                agree with your point in bold. alot of ppl make the win over bute out to be something its not. don't get me wrong a KO of another beltholder is not to be smirked at but bute is not in the same leagues as fighters like kessler, ward or martinez

imo for forch to be considerd the greatest british fighter ever he needs to beat kessler and ward and then go up to LHW and maybe get himself another belt.

froch has some good wins but hes lost to the two HOF'ers hes faced and that doesn't look too good in the cold light of day.

Comment

Originally posted by Saint G Groves View Post
                  Why not dude? Beat Ward and Kessler in rematches, and Froch has a greater resume than Eubank, Benn and Calzaghe
                  Even if did beat Ward, he wouldn't be #1 - but I won't entertain that idea as Dan said because it'll never happen. Froch is currently the #3 SMW. If he beats Kessler I'd probably put him ahead of Calzaghe, if he stepped up to 175 and picked up a title as well then he's definitely ahead.

Froch's resume isn't as great as what some people think. I think the notion that he's had the toughest run of fights in boxing is somehow being translated into a great resume, this isn't the case. I won't comment on where he ranks with the likes of Benn, Eubank & Calzaghe as I'd need to have a deeper look.

Comment

There's still such greats as Jimmy Wilde. He surpasses Calzaghe's legacy, and will be one of the greatest British fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
                      Even if did beat Ward, he wouldn't be #1 - but I won't entertain that idea as Dan said because it'll never happen. Froch is currently the #3 SMW. If he beats Kessler I'd probably put him ahead of Calzaghe, if he stepped up to 175 and picked up a title as well then he's definitely ahead.

Froch's resume isn't as great as what some people think. I think the notion that he's had the toughest run of fights in boxing is somehow being translated into a great resume, this isn't the case. I won't comment on where he ranks with the likes of Benn, Eubank & Calzaghe as I'd need to have a deeper look.

Yeah I don't rate his wins over Taylor, Johnson and Abraham all that much. It's the wins over Pascal and Bute that impress me, add Kessler to that, and Ward and Froch will go into the Hall of Fame. The greatest SMW is Roy Jones, then Calzaghe and Ward depending on who you rate higher as number 2. If Froch beat Ward, I'd make him number 2 as Ward is a great fighter in my opinion.

As for all time? The greatest British fighter has to be the legendary Bob Fitzsimmons, but Froch has to be knocking on the door of greatness if he wins the fights we've mentioned

Comment

Working...
                      X