Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's Muhammad Ali's most underrated feature?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NoLove View Post
    You realise there are other weight divisions besides heavyweight? There are easily 30 guys better than Ali throughout history.
    If you can easily name 30 better fighters, how did he make your top 30?

Comment

His power. People remember him by his movment and hand speed but never really talk about his actual power.

Comment

How about his KO over Bonevena with the left hook.

Comment

if he didn't have a great chin he would have been oft stopped.
          he gets tons of credit for it in hardcore boxing circles, but outside of them it's never mentioned. ali had a great chin.

he wasn't actually as hard to hit as people make it out, especially after his layoff. he had great range and physical and mental speed, but he had some fundamental flaws in his defense. he used to pull straight back from punches. henry cooper, for instance, hit him with the left hook.

ken norton broke his jaw
          frazier beat the snot out of him in the two fights they had that were close. they beat the snot out of each other, to be fair.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
            I wouldn't say his chin was underrated. Most would say that he had one of the best abilities to hold a punch in heavyweight history.

I think his power might have been a touch underrated though. He isn't thought of as being a particularly concussive puncher. But he certainly hurt and knocked out guys with decent chins, through more than just a combination of speed, accuracy and timing.
            Yes, Ali was a hard puncher and his punch selection and accuracy helped him score a lot of KO's. However, I don't Ali always used his power. Wactching some of his fights I always got impression that if he had sat down on more of his punches he could have got more KOs. He went the distance with a lot of guys that he should have knocked out.

Comment

Originally posted by NoLove View Post
              You realise there are other weight divisions besides heavyweight? There are easily 30 guys better than Ali throughout history.

Originally posted by kendom View Post
              LOL man you made a foolish post, we all do that from time to time just back down, you're not going to name me 30 greater fighters than Ali
              Take that advice and fall back.

Comment

Working...
              X