Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is it that when people compare Floyd or manny to past fighters?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by larryx2013 View Post
    I dont go for that "oh he fought before there was colored tv so he has to be great crap" these fighters had over 200 fights and there is footage of maybe 50 and they are automatically better than current fighters cause some old ass dude with a cane said so.hell when i get old if i tell some one Floyd is better than anyone who ever fought i guess that is the gospel right cause im old as hell and i said so.and no new age fighter has any chance at all to be the best cause there is to much footage on them and the fight was in color
    stop assuming people don't watch old fights. They're usually much better than those we get to see today.

No you don't glorify old fighters of the past but instead you make sweeping generalizations of things you know little about.

Larry: Chocolate taste better than vanilla. I have never tried vanilla but i know Chocolate taste better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Balls View Post
      Yeah i scored it 8-4 in favor of Mayweather despite him fighting my favorite fighter and i admitted to being emotionally invested. I felt it was very clear and never closer than competitive.
      But sure enough. If you feel I'm driven by an agenda for not scoring it 9-3 in favor of Floyd, so be it. Floyd is one of my favorite active fighters.

Yes. Tommy has a good variety of choices to win these matchups while Floyd and/or Pac doesn't. Floyd would pretty much have to trade with Tommy and i don't think he has the toughness, chin (despite having a good chin) or power to do that.

That's why i asked. The poster said "it's obvious" as it is just that. IT's obvious.
      I don't like that argument for other matchups, but the Hearns one is... obvious.

Actually, i feel it is the other side that come with flawed arguments if any. They assume that because some other sports have developed rapidly, boxing has too.
      They fail to put into the equation that boxing was more prestigious (hard to compensate for lack of great athletes), competition more fierce and the methods of training pretty much the same.

So in the end Floyd is better than those scrubs you see in black and white clips on youtube because he eats rahmen noodles, twinkies and hang out with 50 cent.
      Because i fail to see the rapid evolution of this very primitive sport in any other capacity.
      Sorry about that. I have been on the phone and that response was meant for someone else. Please excuse it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alx. View Post
        people here are too attached to the past
        Today is the shadow of tomorrow
        Today is the present future of yesterday
        Yesterday is the shadow of today
        The darkness of the past is yesterday
        And the light of the past is yesterday
        The days of yesterday are all numbered in sum
        In the world once

Because once upon a time there was a yesterday
        Yesterday belongs to the dead
        Because the dead belongs to the past

The past is yesterday

Today is the preview of tomorrow but for me
        Only for my better and happier point of view
        My point of view is the thought of a better or try
        Reality is today of eternity
        The eternity of yesterday is dead

Yesterday is as one

The eternity of one is the eternity of the past
        The past is once upon a time
        Once upon a time is past
        The past is yesterday today
        The past is yesterday today
        While we're searchin for tomorrow

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Balls View Post
          Good point IronDanHamza.

Pac and Floyd would never be rated at welterweight historically.
          Maybe the problem is that a lot of the new breed of fans are not aware of the great fighters below lightweight (and in many cases welterweight) as these guys mostly never received a "legendary fights" special by hbo.

Hearns vs. Pac/Floyd is NOT fair. But it's not like those matchups originate in the history forum section. It's from guys that get upset because I'm not as impressed with Pacs run as i am with Armstrongs. It's from guys that get upset at hearing Floyd is not one of the 25 greatest welterweights.

Both Pac and Floyd are beasts. But not so much at 147. Maybe it's hard to understand how horrible the division is outside of those two at the moment.

But how many responses would a Kid Chocolate vs. Floyd Mayweather thread get?
          When Manny is unified champion in three real weight classes the P@ctards can give me a call. Armstrong did that, still waiting for Manny and Floyd to match that.

Poet

Comment

• Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
            Just keep this in mind when some fighter that did not accomplish as much as Floyd and is not as good a super featherweight as he was is being compared to him, and you want to tell that person that they are clearly wrong because they are.

One day all these people accusing others of being biased to "old school" fighters (that fought in the 80s and/or 90s for f***s sake) are going to understand the point the rest of us are making. I'm 24 and I feel like an old man because I'm defending the greatest fighters ever and being told I'm just biased.
            Larry has some bug up his azz about "old dudes". Not sure where that comes from. He also apparently defines as "old dudes" anyone over 30 years old......wuzzup wit dat? :dunno9:

Poet

Comment

• This is still going?

Comment

• Originally posted by Alx. View Post
                people here are too attached to the past
                and you are too attached to the present

Comment

• Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                  Larry has some bug up his azz about "old dudes". Not sure where that comes from. He also apparently defines as "old dudes" anyone over 30 years old......wuzzup wit dat? :dunno9:

Poet
                  Now he's saying anyone who's retired is old school

I'm pretty sure he's just trolling though.

Comment

• Some people on here don't even believe Pac can beat Kostya let alone Robinson.

Comment

• Originally posted by MRBOOMER View Post
                      The older fighter typically wins like really wtf

In the case of Robinson vs mayweather or manny at 147 how much footage of Robinson there exist? For you to say he'd beat these two? Just because he one of the greatest doesn't mean he'd win...has he ever fought anybody with there style sets? And beat them? Is their footage to prove it?

This goes for every other ATg fighter there compared to
                      Bassilo
                      Whitaker
                      Trinidad
                      Pryor
                      Hearns
                      SRL
                      And the list goes on? I just don't get it just cause they beat other great fighters doesn't just mean they'd beat these two

The majority of those guys are larger than them. I mean saying Hearns and SRL who both started at 147 would beat guys who started at much lower weight classes isnt really being biased.

Comment

Working...
                      X