Bob Arum and his agenda

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Arum and his agenda

Mosley vs Pac 2009

Manny Pacquiao should avoid falling into the trap being laid out for him by Shane Mosley.

Rex “Wakee” Salud – issued the warning after Mosley said he’s ready to stake his WBA welterweight crown if he gets to face the Filipino champion at a CW of 144 lb on Oct. 17.

“Manny may be too small for Mosley if he agrees to fight at 144 pounds."

“It’s Mosley who needs Manny so he should agree to what Freddie Roach (Pacquiao’s trainer) wants and that’s 142. Or at least, maybe they can make 143. But not 144,” added Salud.

“That’s Manny’s comfort zone, to weigh in at 138, 140 or 142 lb. If he agrees to 144, that will give Mosley all the comfort he needs,” Salud said.

Mosley asked Roach why they can’t fight him at 147 lb just like Dela Hoya and the three-time Trainer of the Year simply said Mosley is not Hoya.

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx...bCategoryId=69

Notice how EVERY lb is a BIG deal to them?

"Shane Mosley Willing to Fight Pacquiao at 140."

http://www.liverpuncher.com/articles...40-pounds.html
    http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquire...acquiao-at-140

"Shane came to the gym twice to ask me to let him fight Manny," Roach says. "I told him no both times, and both times for the same two reasons: First, there isn't enough money there, and second, you're too good a fighter."
    - Freddie Roach

Yet now, Pac selects to fight Shane? Between then and now, when did Mosley become "marketable"? Is this not what they are now saying about Berto? JMM? Excuses...

Mayweather on Pac & OST:

"Throughout this whole process I have remained patient, but at this point I am thoroughly disgusted that Pacquiao and his representatives are trying to blame me for the fight not happening when clearly the blame is on them.

"First and foremost, not only do I want to fight Manny Pacquiao, I want to whip his punk ass.

"Before the mediation, my team proposed a 14-day, no blood testing window leading up to the fight. But it was rejected. I am still proposing the 14-day window but he is still unwilling to agree to it, even though this is obviously a fair compromise on my part as I wanted the testing to be up until the fight and he wanted a 30-day cut-off. The truth is he just doesn't want to take the tests.

"In my opinion it is Manny Pacquiao and his team who are denying the people a chance to see the biggest fight ever. I know the people will see through their smokescreens and lies. I am ready to fight and sign the contract. Manny needs to stop making his excuses, step up and fight."

http://www.mlive.com/mayweather/inde...nt_to_whi.html

Opposingviews

"I’m glad that this poorly conceived blood bath between Manny Pacquiao and ‘Splenda’ Shane Mosley got put together. Sure, we’ll get yet another painfully awful-to-watch fight from the Filipino superstar, but at least we can put all those ridiculous “people’s champ” chants to rest. He’s in it for the money, just like everyone else. He’s in it for himself, just like everyone else.
    And, most importantly, his strings are pulled and buttons are pushed by somebody bigger and smarter – just like everyone else. I won’t even bother delving into the fact that Bob Arum himself called this fight a bad match-up. No point in rehashing that.

Let’s just discuss the facts for a moment. ‘Splenda’ Mosley is 39 years old. On the day when Pacquiao will most likely knock him out, he will be four months away from his 40th birthday. The style with which he fights tends to worsen quickly, something that fans of older heavyweights -- who have suited up for past-their-prime token matches -- need to realize.

Further, if we learned anything from the beating that Floyd Mayweather Jr. threw him or his boring and very telling split draw with Sergio Mora – it’s that Mosley’s superstar days are in the rear view mirror. Don’t get me wrong, though. At one point, Mosley could bring it. Nobody will forget the way Pacquiao ducked this guy when he was still in his prime. Back when he was ‘Sugar’ and not ‘Splenda,’ Mosley had a flair about him that few in the history of the sport ever had. Those days are long gone, now.

I don’t blame Mosley for accepting this sure-fire beating in exchange for a nice little payday. Nope, as usual, I’ll put the blame squarely where it belongs: Pacquiao and Arum. Between them, these two slick PR masters have done it again. They’ve picked out an opponent who will guarantee them a great payday yet has a minimal chance of even scratching up Pacquiao. And now they will set out to prove to the world that he’s the best opponent available. What a joke.

Let’s be clear on why the falsely honored “people’s champ” and his puppet master settled on this bout: moolah. Because Mosley had parted ways with Golden Boy, the door opened for Arum to secure a recognizable fighter while not dealing with his mortal enemies, Oscar De La Hoya and Richard Schaefer. He still, to this day, holds a grudge against both men for revealing him to be the sneaky, conniving (admitted) liar that he always was – and for creating a company that will soon rival his Top Rank group.

In addition, the other main reason for this fight is that Mosley poses zero threat to Pacquiao. While all of Mayweather’s detractors want to go on and on regarding his love affair with being undefeated, few will acknowledge that Pacquiao is equally, if not more so, threatened by fighting against real competition. If Pacquiao truly wanted to prove that he’s worth all this undeserved hype he gets, he would have laced up against Andre Berto or Juan Manuel Marquez. Those two men have his number, and he knows it. We all know it. Instead, the eight-division paper champ would prefer they roll Mosley out, wheelchair and all, and put him in the ring so that he doesn’t have to take too bad of a beating.

This whole thing is a disgusting indicator to the pathetic depths that boxing has sunk to, but nobody will admit it. Instead, Arum and Top Rank will now set out on a mission to prove that Mosley supposedly can beat the Filipino superstar. The same way Pacquiao magically stopped training hard for the Antonio Margarito fight. The sad part is, Pacquiao’s fans will eat it up. God bless their gullible little souls, they’ll completely buy into the hype and think their so-called “people’s champ” is fighting Mosley for them. Not the real fans, though. We’ve watched this sport and know its dark, dirty inner-workings all too well. This is a shady, grimy business built on deceiving fans – and this Mosley-Pacquiao"

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/mosle...bob-arum-greed

Andre Berto, WBC CHAMPION:

Andre Berto’s name was also in the preliminary mix, although he was viewed as a pretty long shot since he is yet to have a high profile fight against a household name like Pacquiao. Top Rank promoter Bob Arum did not make it much of a secret that Mosley was his favorite choice, seemingly intrigued by the draw the fight will get because of Mosley’s name value.

Many fans were turned off when they heard the latest news, since Mosley has the look of a guy who is past his prime. Out of 11,238 voters, as of noon on December 22nd, 53% were “not interested” according to an ESPN Sports Nation poll that asked “How interested are you in the Manny Pacquiao-Shane Mosley fight?” A mere 13% responded “very interested”, while 34% responded with “somewhat interested.”

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5...-for-the-fight

There's no hindsight for Pac fighting Mosley. Everyone knows right now that a 39-40 year old Mosley is shot. Remember that with Bob Arum, its not about "ability" or "availability" but "marketability".

JMM (cinco de mayo) = "marketability" who would sell more PPVs than Mosley/Berto.
    Berto = "ability" but not "marketability".
    Mosley = ? See previously (Mayweather vs Mosley) Bob's quoted as saying Mosley won't sell enough let alone everyone saying he's old & shot.

"Selecting" Mosley over Berto and JMM because of "marketability" is false. At the end of the day this is what it comes down too, “I would never take a fight which I think my fighter couldn’t win.” - Freddie Roach

How do we expect Pac to EVER get in the ring with "a fighter like Mayweather"? Is it not clear enough that Arum doesn't like to deal with other promotional companies, doesn't care what the fans think, couldn't care any less about Pac fighting Mayweather, and has an agenda.

It is VERY plausible that Pac is ducking these fighters for a 40 year old past his prime. Arum was looking for the lowest bidder that had no affiliation with GBP. Arum's been selling boxing Pac vs "former" Champions and spending months attempting to justify there "selection" as most if not all of the time it contradicts what they previously stated.

Pac/Arum are exposed for strategically hand "selecting" certain fighters AT certain weight classes AT certain weights. No matter what Floyd does or says Arum will have an excuse readily availably just as he did for Mosley (when he was a Champion), WW Champion Berto, LW Champion JMM and Former JMW Champion/Current MW Champion Martinez.

The media buys into his excuses like a fresh batch of hotcakes right out of the oven on a christmas morning that your aunt made. It's always after the fact that you remember she sucks at baking. At least you didnt pay 60 bucks for them.

its not the bobfather's fault floyd is a b1tch............its not his fault pac picked shane either......

Comment

Originally posted by puga View Post
      its not the bobfather's fault floyd is a b1tch............its not his fault pac picked shane either......
      I agree with the first comment. But the second one is nonsense. Arum wanted Mosley and he sold it big to Manny.

Comment

arum's agenda = $$$$$$$$

simple as.

Comment

It's Christmas....

Comment

Yes, I know this is completely biased. The point is even with Mayweather on "vacation" and in court, Pac still avoids the "better" talent just as he did with Mosley in 2009.

You can't use the, well he fought Cotto who beat Mosley ect etc etc excuse because that is irrelevant in 2010/2011.

What's to say Pac's not avoiding Berto or JMM now? Let alone a JMW challenger Martinez who wants HIS title back and Mayweather if and when he comes back?

Fighting Mosley is not justifiable and only validates that he's avoiding the WW Champion or any real threat. We all know Mosley was no threat after Mayweather dominated him and after Mora went 12 with him.

Its been agreed that JMM is the "marketable" selection out of the 3. Especially on cinco de mayo. There are no excuses for fighting a former champion once again.

This completely exposes Bob's agenda. Be on the look out for Pac vs Cotto II AT JMW. The division that they said was "too big" for Pac.

Comment

Originally posted by WESS View Post
              Mosley vs Pac 2009

Manny Pacquiao should avoid falling into the trap being laid out for him by Shane Mosley.

Rex “Wakee” Salud – issued the warning after Mosley said he’s ready to stake his WBA welterweight crown if he gets to face the Filipino champion at a CW of 144 lb on Oct. 17.

“Manny may be too small for Mosley if he agrees to fight at 144 pounds."

“It’s Mosley who needs Manny so he should agree to what Freddie Roach (Pacquiao’s trainer) wants and that’s 142. Or at least, maybe they can make 143. But not 144,” added Salud.

“That’s Manny’s comfort zone, to weigh in at 138, 140 or 142 lb. If he agrees to 144, that will give Mosley all the comfort he needs,” Salud said.

Mosley asked Roach why they can’t fight him at 147 lb just like Dela Hoya and the three-time Trainer of the Year simply said Mosley is not Hoya.

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx...bCategoryId=69

Notice how EVERY lb is a BIG deal to them?

"Shane Mosley Willing to Fight Pacquiao at 140."

http://www.liverpuncher.com/articles...40-pounds.html
              http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquire...acquiao-at-140

"Shane came to the gym twice to ask me to let him fight Manny," Roach says. "I told him no both times, and both times for the same two reasons: First, there isn't enough money there, and second, you're too good a fighter."
              - Freddie Roach

Yet now, Pac selects to fight Shane? Between then and now, when did Mosley become "marketable"? Is this not what they are now saying about Berto? JMM? Excuses...

Mayweather on Pac & OST:

"Throughout this whole process I have remained patient, but at this point I am thoroughly disgusted that Pacquiao and his representatives are trying to blame me for the fight not happening when clearly the blame is on them.

"First and foremost, not only do I want to fight Manny Pacquiao, I want to whip his punk ass.

"Before the mediation, my team proposed a 14-day, no blood testing window leading up to the fight. But it was rejected. I am still proposing the 14-day window but he is still unwilling to agree to it, even though this is obviously a fair compromise on my part as I wanted the testing to be up until the fight and he wanted a 30-day cut-off. The truth is he just doesn't want to take the tests.

"In my opinion it is Manny Pacquiao and his team who are denying the people a chance to see the biggest fight ever. I know the people will see through their smokescreens and lies. I am ready to fight and sign the contract. Manny needs to stop making his excuses, step up and fight."

http://www.mlive.com/mayweather/inde...nt_to_whi.html

Opposingviews

"I’m glad that this poorly conceived blood bath between Manny Pacquiao and ‘Splenda’ Shane Mosley got put together. Sure, we’ll get yet another painfully awful-to-watch fight from the Filipino superstar, but at least we can put all those ridiculous “people’s champ” chants to rest. He’s in it for the money, just like everyone else. He’s in it for himself, just like everyone else.
              And, most importantly, his strings are pulled and buttons are pushed by somebody bigger and smarter – just like everyone else. I won’t even bother delving into the fact that Bob Arum himself called this fight a bad match-up. No point in rehashing that.

Let’s just discuss the facts for a moment. ‘Splenda’ Mosley is 39 years old. On the day when Pacquiao will most likely knock him out, he will be four months away from his 40th birthday. The style with which he fights tends to worsen quickly, something that fans of older heavyweights -- who have suited up for past-their-prime token matches -- need to realize.

Further, if we learned anything from the beating that Floyd Mayweather Jr. threw him or his boring and very telling split draw with Sergio Mora – it’s that Mosley’s superstar days are in the rear view mirror. Don’t get me wrong, though. At one point, Mosley could bring it. Nobody will forget the way Pacquiao ducked this guy when he was still in his prime. Back when he was ‘Sugar’ and not ‘Splenda,’ Mosley had a flair about him that few in the history of the sport ever had. Those days are long gone, now.

I don’t blame Mosley for accepting this sure-fire beating in exchange for a nice little payday. Nope, as usual, I’ll put the blame squarely where it belongs: Pacquiao and Arum. Between them, these two slick PR masters have done it again. They’ve picked out an opponent who will guarantee them a great payday yet has a minimal chance of even scratching up Pacquiao. And now they will set out to prove to the world that he’s the best opponent available. What a joke.

Let’s be clear on why the falsely honored “people’s champ” and his puppet master settled on this bout: moolah. Because Mosley had parted ways with Golden Boy, the door opened for Arum to secure a recognizable fighter while not dealing with his mortal enemies, Oscar De La Hoya and Richard Schaefer. He still, to this day, holds a grudge against both men for revealing him to be the sneaky, conniving (admitted) liar that he always was – and for creating a company that will soon rival his Top Rank group.

In addition, the other main reason for this fight is that Mosley poses zero threat to Pacquiao. While all of Mayweather’s detractors want to go on and on regarding his love affair with being undefeated, few will acknowledge that Pacquiao is equally, if not more so, threatened by fighting against real competition. If Pacquiao truly wanted to prove that he’s worth all this undeserved hype he gets, he would have laced up against Andre Berto or Juan Manuel Marquez. Those two men have his number, and he knows it. We all know it. Instead, the eight-division paper champ would prefer they roll Mosley out, wheelchair and all, and put him in the ring so that he doesn’t have to take too bad of a beating.

This whole thing is a disgusting indicator to the pathetic depths that boxing has sunk to, but nobody will admit it. Instead, Arum and Top Rank will now set out on a mission to prove that Mosley supposedly can beat the Filipino superstar. The same way Pacquiao magically stopped training hard for the Antonio Margarito fight. The sad part is, Pacquiao’s fans will eat it up. God bless their gullible little souls, they’ll completely buy into the hype and think their so-called “people’s champ” is fighting Mosley for them. Not the real fans, though. We’ve watched this sport and know its dark, dirty inner-workings all too well. This is a shady, grimy business built on deceiving fans – and this Mosley-Pacquiao"

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/mosle...bob-arum-greed

Andre Berto, WBC CHAMPION:

Andre Berto’s name was also in the preliminary mix, although he was viewed as a pretty long shot since he is yet to have a high profile fight against a household name like Pacquiao. Top Rank promoter Bob Arum did not make it much of a secret that Mosley was his favorite choice, seemingly intrigued by the draw the fight will get because of Mosley’s name value.

Many fans were turned off when they heard the latest news, since Mosley has the look of a guy who is past his prime. Out of 11,238 voters, as of noon on December 22nd, 53% were “not interested” according to an ESPN Sports Nation poll that asked “How interested are you in the Manny Pacquiao-Shane Mosley fight?” A mere 13% responded “very interested”, while 34% responded with “somewhat interested.”

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5...-for-the-fight

There's no hindsight for Pac fighting Mosley. Everyone knows right now that a 39-40 year old Mosley is shot. Remember that with Bob Arum, its not about "ability" or "availability" but "marketability".

JMM (cinco de mayo) = "marketability" who would sell more PPVs than Mosley/Berto.
              Berto = "ability" but not "marketability".
              Mosley = ? See previously (Mayweather vs Mosley) Bob's quoted as saying Mosley won't sell enough let alone everyone saying he's old & shot.

"Selecting" Mosley over Berto and JMM because of "marketability" is false. At the end of the day this is what it comes down too, “I would never take a fight which I think my fighter couldn’t win.” - Freddie Roach

How do we expect Pac to EVER get in the ring with "a fighter like Mayweather"? Is it not clear enough that Arum doesn't like to deal with other promotional companies, doesn't care what the fans think, couldn't care any less about Pac fighting Mayweather, and has an agenda.

It is VERY plausible that Pac is ducking these fighters for a 40 year old past his prime. Arum was looking for the lowest bidder that had no affiliation with GBP. Arum's been selling boxing Pac vs "former" Champions and spending months attempting to justify there "selection" as most if not all of the time it contradicts what they previously stated.

Pac/Arum are exposed for strategically hand "selecting" certain fighters AT certain weight classes AT certain weights. No matter what Floyd does or says Arum will have an excuse readily availably just as he did for Mosley (when he was a Champion), WW Champion Berto, LW Champion JMM and Former JMW Champion/Current MW Champion Martinez.

The media buys into his excuses like a fresh batch of hotcakes right out of the oven on a christmas morning that your aunt made. It's always after the fact that you remember she sucks at baking. At least you didnt pay 60 bucks for them.

dude.. its xmas

Originally posted by puga View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
                It's Christmas....
                I know and its a crime we have football but no boxing!

Comment

Originally posted by shogun tua View Post
                  dude.. its xmas

yet you replied? lol just messin, im stuffed and wished I could enjoy boxing as all football fans are enjoying football!

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
                    arum's agenda = $$$$$$$$

simple as.
                    I thought that was Floyd's agenda? How did the standards change of acceptance?

Comment

Working...
                    X