Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where is Santa Cruz's much talked about but unseen power?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
    That was vs the little guys. He says he wanna go all the way up to 140? Good luck. It's gonna be non existent.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
    This, the first fight I saw him (in network tv no less) he was beating the brakes out of a guy around his size but he wasn't able to take him out. In his next two fights, he fought two little guys and knocked them both out pretty quickly. I remember thinking that he looked twice the size of both guys.

Comment

He's never been a hard puncher. He overwhelms with activity and wears fighters down. His shots hurt, obviously, but he's not a puncher.

Comment

Originally posted by Garcia's Dad View Post
        The idea of a young mini-me of Margarito sounded awesome. But I dunno, I'm just not feeling Santa Cruz. It just feels repetitive and boring. He badly needs better opponents.
        The better opponent will probably be next, unless he gets turned down.

Comment

We just thoroughly enjoy watching him fight. He doesn't have one punch ko power though.

Comment

I'll have to admit I was a little disappointed he didn't KO Mijares or a least drop him. I even told my wife's Uncle and Dad he wouldn't last 12 rounds and the little dude hung in there.

Comment

I don't see the power either. I didn't really hear the commentators, it was just my own observation. In my head I was like damn this guy is f-cked when he steps up, he has no damn power and he's just a high volume guy. I don't see him being much of a problem for Rigondeaux. I can't say anything about Frampton cause I never seen him fight but if Frampton got decent defense and respectable pop and some footwork, he should decision Santa Cruz.

I don't know about that nickname, El Terremoto, he's more like those little harmless whirlpools I see in my bathtub after I am done bathing. I thought he would stop Mijares.

Comment

Not sure I've ever heard anyone claim he has power all you have to do is watch his fights to see he is the poster child for punchers are born not made.

Comment

Originally posted by RyunosukeRonin View Post
                  Not sure I've ever heard anyone claim he has power all you have to do is watch his fights to see he is the poster child for punchers are born not made.
                  One thing I noticed about both Mijares and Santa Cruz was their backs was flat, with no sign of any toned muscle. It made me think, what if weak punchers have a lot to do with not having strong backs or legs. Look at Mijares legs, they are like toothpicks, and his back looks like a wall, and then look at his punching power.

Of course Timothy Bradley and Floyd Mayweather Jr came to mind, they're toned, ripped, and look like they can KO anyone around their size but they are also weak punchers. Then thought well, Bradley is a vegan, and Floyd is small at only 150lbs, if he fights other 150lb boxers he'd probably have a higher KO ratio.

I can't really put a finger on it, but I don't think puncher's are born. I think it has a lot to do with muscle development.

Comment

For the first time in my life, I felt frustrated watching a guy that landed nearly 400 punches. Mijares showed little to no effect and just stood there taking punch after punch. It was like holy ****, did they put mini pillows in LSC gloves?

Comment

i liked that whole venue except for the Santa Cruz/Cristian Mijares
                      where neither had power to hurt. what a drag.

Comment

Working...
                      X