Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steve Smoger discusses Khan-Peterson, Cotto-Margarito II stoppage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have to disagree, c/m stoppage came at the right time. there wasn't any need of a repeat of pac-marg; and khan's pushing ,pulling head down and hitting on break had to be penalized. maybe 2 points deductions were too much but the ref also gave khan a point for non existent kd. so in that sense a net total for khan is 1 real pt of penalty.

Comment

war smoger

Comment

Originally posted by Pugly! View Post
        look here man, it's like this, the best referees are neither seen nor heard unless there is some BLATANT fouling going on. . . HELL, technically, clinching is illegal; can you imagine how many points would be deducted, or how many fighters DQ'd? Stuff like inside grappling, pushing off, clinching/holding ARE PART OF THE GAME. . . Fighters who hold want to implement their game on the inside, and fighters who push off want to stay on the outside?

a referee has discretion, and that discretion should be used to keep the fighters SAFE, and keep the fight a nice, action fight without disturbing the ebb and flow. . .
        I agree man. I knew as soon as the ref was giving his final instructions on Saturday night and used that 'Thundah' line that he was going to be in on the show as much as he could.

Comment

Originally posted by Pugly! View Post
          look here man, it's like this, the best referees are neither seen nor heard unless there is some BLATANT fouling going on. . . HELL, technically, clinching is illegal; can you imagine how many points would be deducted, or how many fighters DQ'd? Stuff like inside grappling, pushing off, clinching/holding ARE PART OF THE GAME. . . Fighters who hold want to implement their game on the inside, and fighters who push off want to stay on the outside?

a referee has discretion, and that discretion should be used to keep the fighters SAFE, and keep the fight a nice, action fight without disturbing the ebb and flow. . .
          I've seen points taken for excessive holding/clinching,the word to watch for is excessive and blatant..And Khan was both...

Comment

Smoger knows best.

He just confirmed that he wouldn't take a point away from pushing like we all had already expected.

No way in hell, should a referee take a point away in the final round for pushing, clinching or any other minor offence. **** outta here.

Comment

Originally posted by Rome-By-Ko View Post

Look at Khans Arms,they are fully extended..Ya can't do that bro..
              peterson was hugging, thats illegal a push was more than justified

Comment

"And I don't know about you, but I had sensed a little bit of a momentum shift."

So, Smoger, the man closest to the action, the guy best placed to judge (besides the principles themselves), was able to perceive this; yet the Cotto dick-swangers and the moral consensus on here would brand any of the realer posters who also picked up on it as delusional ******s?

Ok, people can STFU with that now.

Comment

I will tell you that in my career, I have never seen such an accentuation on the "foul of pushing."
                  "Sometimes that entails breaking away from the other fighter, which could be conceived as "pushing." In my career, I have never -- N-E-V-E-R-- taken a point for pushing. "

I was expecting a copout but respect to Smoger for telling the truth I'm not a big Khan fan but I honestly was disgusted at the officiating on Saturday

Comment

"And I felt that in Round 9 that Antonio was giving as much as he was getting."

Nono, Steve, get with the program. Cotto was taking his pittypats for fun and looked like he could go another 30 rounds, while Tony was being one-sidedly hammered and was on the verge of being stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky=Ward View Post
                      peterson was hugging, thats illegal a push was more than justified
                      So if a fighter is fighting on the inside(which Peterson was doing),you feel a fighter should be able to push to get out of his uncomfortable predicament??

Comment

Working...
                      X