Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paul Williams vs Sergio Martinez 1 Appreciation thread: Did Maravilla deserve to win?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember having it close watching it live. Think it was Martinez by a point, or even a draw. I'm gonna' try score this one again.

Comment

Good thread. Live I had Williams but I admit bias. I'll watch it again and do an RBR.

Comment

Originally posted by BigAlexSand View Post
        Without a doubt, and I haven't watched it since I saw it the second time. Personally Marteniz was dangerous for damn near every middleweight currently and past. Unfortanitly his drive destroyed his body.

I have nothing but the largest amount of respect for Sergio Martinez. For his size and lack of experience was made up by a enormous Heart and natural talents. An amazing fighter and person!
        agreed...the guy literally came out of no where to me....when I first saw him fight I was like " Woooo, where'd they hide this guy?"

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
          agreed...the guy literally came out of no where to me....when I first saw him fight I was like " Woooo, where'd they hide this guy?"
          Hiding at a soccer field... It's ironic how stupid people are when it comes to realizing how late he started and the fact the man fought people naturally bigger than him, his whole career. What is interesting, Martinez could have fought at 154lb divison but went to middleweight seemingly to be destroyed but did the exact opposite.

Comment

martinez won 8-4 or 7-5. 2 judges gave the first to williams so yea martinez had no chance at winning. fun fight though.

Comment

That was a very close fight and really Sergio's coming out party as the man at 160. I felt Paul Williams won the fight but wouldn't have been mad if Sergio got the decision.

Comment

Originally posted by BigAlexSand View Post
                Hiding at a soccer field... It's ironic how stupid people are when it comes to realizing how late he started and the fact the man fought people naturally bigger than him, his whole career. What is interesting, Martinez could have fought at 154lb divison but went to middleweight seemingly to be destroyed but did the exact opposite.
                yea I heard, also he was a cyclist

he wouldve cleaned house at 154

He should get credit for being outsized in his championship days...he wa sa natural junior middleweight

Comment

Hell yes dude! Thanks for taking my suggestion!

Comment

nah, pwill won that fairly imo , Sergio gassed at the end

Comment

What I liked about this fight is that 99% of the defense in this fight came from head and body movement. Both fighters rarely attempted to block punches with their gloves , which may partly explain why it was so much fun.

Comment

Working...
                      X