No announcement yet.

Why did Lampley and Foreman fall out?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ironmt View Post
    Lampley, Merchant and Foreman were the best trio ever and provided plenty of entertainment and laughs

-The referee is going to be the most important person in the ring tonight besides the fighters (During Roy Jones Jr vs John Ruiz)

-Generally when there's a lot of smoke... there's just a whole lot more smoke.

-He broke his legs. His legs are broken (During Lewis-Grant, Grant gets up seconds later and continues to fight)

Foreman: Look at De La Hoya's shoulders
    Lampley: What about them?
    Foreman: Look at them. They're massive.

Foreman: Antonio Tarver is just as fast as Roy Jones
    Lampley: Oh I don't know about that
    Foreman: Oh yes he is, with that uh straight left hand...(followed by awkward silence)

-Roy Jones is playing the feinting game and Griffin is benefiting by it (Seconds before Jones knocks him out)

-Oh you better look out for those rich guys. They eat Caviar but they sure are tough. I wouldn't mess with those rich guys. (During De La Hoya-Vargas)

-All he needs is one big punch (Every single HBO broadcast)

-Hopkins is tired now. His back just touched the ropes. (During Hopkins-Trinidad)

Foreman: You gotta admit, we're watching this great fight and it was Larry Merchant, who never stopped talking about the rematch, that's why the fight is happening
    Merchant: You think I brought in these 13, or 14 thousand people George?
    Foreman: Oh yes you did
    (While Barrera-Morales go toe to toe in the 12th round of their second fight)

-Go get me a sandwich and sit down (To Teddy Atlas)

Foreman: These guys are big for middleweights
    Merchant: They're light-heavyweights George
    Foreman: Light-heavyweights

-I have De La Hoya and his piston like jab winning hands down (While DLH is clearly losing to Mosley)

-He should punch him in the chest, saps all of your opponents energy away (Every HBO broadcast)

Lampley: Can you believe Jack Mosley is telling his son he is winning the fight
    Foreman: Oh yes he is
    (During the last round of Forrest-Mosley 1)

-Torres can take Cotto's best shot (second later Cotto knocks Torres down)

-Oh there it is! He's been looking for that punch all night (Camacho lands a soft left hand against De La Hoya in the 12th) Lampley says something like "come on George"

Lampley says something like Hopkins doesn't look to be tiring
    Lampley: What are the signs Hopkins is slowing down?
    Foreman: He went back to the corner and laid his legs out, Trinidad is still sitting in a upright position

-De La Hoya has a better jab than Quartey (While Quartey peppers De La Hoya with the jab)

-You never follow a puncher (Every single HBO broadcast)

-Jones can beat any of these heavyweights. I don't care if their 6 foot 12 (During Jones-Ruiz)

-Believe me, Lewis is hurt right now (Seconds later Lewis knocks down Ruddock)

-Shane better be careful he doesn't get intimidated by those trunks. Sometimes you see a guy with trunks like that and you go wow (During Mosley-Stone, Stone is wearing tiger print trunks)

-Barkley can still turn it around (After Barkley had lost 10 rounds to James Toney)

-Ledwaba is a master boxer, he should use it to his advantage and box (a few rounds later) Sometimes you cant rely on your boxing abilities and fight the guy (During Pacquiao-Ledwaba)

-All this backing up that Hopkins is doing saps his strength and you need all of your strength against a puncher like Trinidad (In the 10th round after Hopkins dominated the whole fight)

-Oscar's jab is much better, much sharper. Everyone talks about this great jab Quartey has, I don't see it (Even though Quartey is winning the early rounds of their fight)

Foreman: I don't like the way the sweat is rolling off Jones head
    Lampley: What don't you like about it? (Clearly confused)
    Foreman: It's just rolling off...pitifully
    (During Roy Jones vs Eric Lucas)

Bravo, man. Holy ****. I remember hearing so many of those live and being like "What the ****...?"

Comment

Originally posted by ironmt View Post
      Lampley, Merchant and Foreman were the best trio ever and provided plenty of entertainment and laughs

-The referee is going to be the most important person in the ring tonight besides the fighters (During Roy Jones Jr vs John Ruiz)

-Generally when there's a lot of smoke... there's just a whole lot more smoke.

-He broke his legs. His legs are broken (During Lewis-Grant, Grant gets up seconds later and continues to fight)

Foreman: Look at De La Hoya's shoulders
      Lampley: What about them?
      Foreman: Look at them. They're massive.

Foreman: Antonio Tarver is just as fast as Roy Jones
      Lampley: Oh I don't know about that
      Foreman: Oh yes he is, with that uh straight left hand...(followed by awkward silence)

-Roy Jones is playing the feinting game and Griffin is benefiting by it (Seconds before Jones knocks him out)

-Oh you better look out for those rich guys. They eat Caviar but they sure are tough. I wouldn't mess with those rich guys. (During De La Hoya-Vargas)

-All he needs is one big punch (Every single HBO broadcast)

-Hopkins is tired now. His back just touched the ropes. (During Hopkins-Trinidad)

Foreman: You gotta admit, we're watching this great fight and it was Larry Merchant, who never stopped talking about the rematch, that's why the fight is happening
      Merchant: You think I brought in these 13, or 14 thousand people George?
      Foreman: Oh yes you did
      (While Barrera-Morales go toe to toe in the 12th round of their second fight)

-Go get me a sandwich and sit down (To Teddy Atlas)

Foreman: These guys are big for middleweights
      Merchant: They're light-heavyweights George
      Foreman: Light-heavyweights

-I have De La Hoya and his piston like jab winning hands down (While DLH is clearly losing to Mosley)

-He should punch him in the chest, saps all of your opponents energy away (Every HBO broadcast)

Lampley: Can you believe Jack Mosley is telling his son he is winning the fight
      (During the last round of Forrest-Mosley 1)

-Torres can take Cotto's best shot (second later Cotto knocks Torres down)

-Oh there it is! He's been looking for that punch all night (Camacho lands a soft left hand against De La Hoya in the 12th) Lampley says something like "come on George"

Lampley says something like Hopkins doesn't look to be tiring
      Lampley: What are the signs Hopkins is slowing down?
      Foreman: He went back to the corner and laid his legs out, Trinidad is still sitting in a upright position

-De La Hoya has a better jab than Quartey (While Quartey peppers De La Hoya with the jab)

-You never follow a puncher (Every single HBO broadcast)

-Jones can beat any of these heavyweights. I don't care if their 6 foot 12 (During Jones-Ruiz)

-Believe me, Lewis is hurt right now (Seconds later Lewis knocks down Ruddock)

-Shane better be careful he doesn't get intimidated by those trunks. Sometimes you see a guy with trunks like that and you go wow (During Mosley-Stone, Stone is wearing tiger print trunks)

-Barkley can still turn it around (After Barkley had lost 10 rounds to James Toney)

-Ledwaba is a master boxer, he should use it to his advantage and box (a few rounds later) Sometimes you cant rely on your boxing abilities and fight the guy (During Pacquiao-Ledwaba)

-All this backing up that Hopkins is doing saps his strength and you need all of your strength against a puncher like Trinidad (In the 10th round after Hopkins dominated the whole fight)

-Oscar's jab is much better, much sharper. Everyone talks about this great jab Quartey has, I don't see it (Even though Quartey is winning the early rounds of their fight)

Foreman: I don't like the way the sweat is rolling off Jones head
      Lampley: What don't you like about it? (Clearly confused)
      Foreman: It's just rolling off...pitifully
      (During Roy Jones vs Eric Lucas)
      Wow some of these had me giggling like a little girl.

Especially the one with middleweights/light-heavyweights. haha,

Comment

LM: George, I wanna ask you something, when Lewis comes inside, you say he doesn't have it there, but he's been showing he has it there with Holyfield in these last few rounds. When he stands back, you say he doesn't have the heart to get in there. Now which is it?

GEORGE: You know when Holyfield guards his ear with his glove he puts it ALL behind his ear that makes it so that Lewis can come up with those uppercuts!

Comment

Originally posted by RyanjLarose View Post
          GOLD ....i could read these for hours, got any more ?!
          Whatever street Micky Ward grew up on, you better get a drink of water from there if you want to be a fighter...eat whatever grows there.

These are men. (Gatti & Ward)

During Hamed v Barrera after the turnbuckle incident.

Jim "I don't think he likes him George".

Big George "I don't think you like him much yourself Jim".

Foreman: Boy, If you have a neighbour like (Wayne)McCullough you can leave your doors unlocked

Lampley: In Ireland?!

Foreman: Anywhere

Comment

Lol foreman was mad

Comment

Originally posted by MrRolltide91 View Post
              Lol foreman was mad
              Mad hilarious and good tv maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
                The Barrera thing clearly pissed off Foreman, but I think Lampley just got sick of him anyway. The stupid, petty arguments Foreman would cause during a broadcast were just annoying in the end. Like the time he picked Lampley up on referring to Vargas as a Mexican-American, even though Vargas himself would refer to himself in that way and was fighting with the Mexican crest on his trunks.

Foreman was always having moments like that where he'd get all stubborn over some stupid point and act like a child. I can understand why Lampley would have been glad to see the back of him.
                This is true. George has a strong self-righteous streak. It got a bit much at times. He could also be moody.

Great fighters rarely make great commentators.

As for the Barrera comments, I liked them. I don't care whether they were justified or not. Watching Hamed get hopelessly outclassed by Barrera and Lampley make jokes at his expense afterward was very enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
                  So? I don't particularly care but I still recognise it's wrong to mock someone's religion like that on national television when you're supposed to be an impartial announcer. We all know that's not what Lampley is though.
                  Spot on, Dirk.

Comment

Originally posted by takingaim View Post
                    Lampley had every right to do the whole 'B A R R E R A' thing. It was Hamed who brought his religion into the ring with him.
                    so does countless other fighters but i have only seen repercussions if the fighter in question is a muslim which is highly offensive.

lets also take into consideration that lampley not only dissrespected naz with that statement, but i think it was somewhat offensive to muslims in general. not much but a bit which is still enough, why even bring it up in the first place? no reason at all as far as im concerned.

as for the actual problem i just think george was too honest for lampley. say what you want about max and larrys bias, but at least its their bias. they dont seem to have the hbo execs in their ear at all times the way lampley does. i reckon foremans honesty made it hard for lampley to feed people his bull**** and when he stepped too far george even put his ass in check. he was never afraid to question or even correct someoneand that seemed to bother lampley imo.

Comment

Islam isn't a race. You guys call literally everything "racist" on here.

Lampley is about as racist as any other jockstrap carrying towelboy who worships sweaty black boys. If you think that cheeseball is racist you've never a real one.

Great commentator though.

Comment

Working...
                      X