No announcement yet.

Help with School? Boxing Paper

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with School? Boxing Paper

Hey, so we have to do an informative paper in my English class about anything that interests us and I chose boxing. Only I need a direction to go in? What would be a good, non persuasive boxing topic I could do an informative 5 page essay on? Any input is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Originally posted by iseah100 View Post
    Hey, so we have to do an informative paper in my English class about anything that interests us and I chose boxing. Only I need a direction to go in? What would be a good, non persuasive boxing topic I could do an informative 5 page essay on? Any input is appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    You should make it specific to a boxer, or a particular fight, or NSB.

Comment

How about an essay on the "Styles makes Fights" analogy?

You can discuss that the true art of the Sweet Science is hitting without being hit.

Furthermore, you can discuss various styles of fighting that emphasize such and elaborate on the differences of styles (i.e brawler verse a pure boxer).

If you can use visuals such a videos use specific fights with particular boxers that exemplify those styles.

Example: Two blood and guts brawlers: Gatti/Ward I

Two counter punchers : Floyd/Marquez

One boxer one brawler: Ali/Frazier I

Understand these are just random examples hope this helps you in the right direction.

Comment

I'd write about the punches and their use. You could go on all day about the jab and hook.

Then write about fights where they were well used. Mention some historical accolades like Frazier shook up the world when he left hooked Ali into the ground.

Boxing is a niche sport that's a highly specialized interest. Chances are whatever info you put in will seem accurate

Comment

Anything that interests you?

I assume you should be writing as to why boxing interests you? Thats up to you

Not sure if you're in a school or college, or whatever, but make it academically interesting, maybe something along the lines of:

Intro
          Context of boxing (history, and what roles it plays in society)
          Links between history and now (Corruption, how its the same or changed, sanctioning bodies, titles, type of people who box)
          The effects of globalisation (how this has changed the boxing scene, a good thing to write here is perhaps the olympics especially London 2012, rise of Europe at heavyweight, female boxing, Manny Pacquiao, China suddenly appearing in the mix recently)
          Future of the sport (how you see it playing out)
          Conclusion - why boxing is and should be a key sport.

My outlook on the sport tends to centre around the idea that boxing is much more professional now, its purpose in society is no longer solely to get kids off the street, but also caters towards people who just have a keen interest too. Corruption is still there though still unproven, its the pink elephant in the room. Boxing is also not fan-friendly - it caters to the needs of the people making money, not its fans - a good argument distinguishing it from other sports. Globalisation has made a massive change to boxing. The US is slowly losing its status as the boxing nation of the world because of the nature of the world today.

Not sure if this is what you wanted, but I tried anyway

Comment

One more word of advice, try not to win people over making people try to love the sport. I've given up on **** like that years ago. It's either you like and appreciate the art/craft of a fighters work/heart/skill or you don't it's that simple.

Comment

Informative speech. Hmmm.

You can talk about titles in boxing. Talk about the suspicious things that sanctioning bodies do, and how there's so much favoritism towards popular fighters. You can talk about their unfairness towards deserving fighters. Bring up Canelo-Hatton, Pacquiao-Margarito at 150 when neither of them were ranked in the top 10 at 154. Figure out who were the actual fighters that deserved to fight for the WBC 154 title instead of Margarito and Pacquiao. Talk about the story that came out recently about the WBA and Strum paying to become the Super champion to avoid Golovkin. Talk about the outrageous amount of titles that each organization has, mention the WBC, Diamond, Silver, Interim titles PER weight class, and how there's 17 weight classes, and fighters have to pay a percentage for these titles. Bring up the WBA Super and Regular titles. Research corruption on boxing titles.

I wrote a paper on this for English., it was great, I barely looked up anything since i'm so used to all the crap that sanctioning bodies do, I knew exactly what to write. I only cited sources because it mandatory but honestly I didn't need any sources, I wrote everything off the top.

Comment

Wow! Thanks guys, everyone. I'm getting some great ideas. I'm in college btw. Appreciate it very much.

Comment

I wanted to do a paper on the corruption in boxing, such as the suspicion of fixed fights, sanctioning bodies, etc. What else could I include that makes boxing seem corrupt?

Comment

I wanted to do a paper on the corruption in boxing, such as the suspicion of fixed fights, sanctioning bodies, etc. What else could I include that makes boxing seem corrupt?
                    Look up Frankie Carbo a.k.a "Mr. Grey" who was a mobster and whose primary focus was to fix fights...

Comment

Working...
                    X