No announcement yet.

How skilled was/is Ronda Rousey really?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ROSS CALIFORNIA View Post
    How would you know? The internet was not around back then. Not everyone on the street was a fan of boxing and really knew Tyson back then. I'm pretty sure most of this overhypeness you've seen of Rousey has been on the internet. We didn't have that back in the late 80's.
    That doesnt even make sense kid ,Tyson was the most popular athlete ever and still is to this day,EVERYONE knew who he was just on video games ,and im probably like 2 decades older than you are ,no boxing fan could ever make such a flat out wrong comment like that.

Comment

Originally posted by kaps View Post
      She beat everyone else in the weight class, easily. I think she just got bested by a superior striker with a perfect game plan. The scary thing is that she knew that would be Holm's game plan and couldn't prevent it. I think she should ditch Edmund and get with a real camp. I don't know if Holm can run through the rest of the weight class though. I think she'll have problems with Meisha and Cat. I hope Ronda takes some time off, I like it when weight classes get shook up.
      The thing is, Holm is still new to the MMA game. She is on a level of her own in the standup department but working with Greg Jackson camp, a camp known for it's safe fighters; mostly wrestlers. When Holm's ground game catches up to her stand up, it's gonna be ridiculous.

I think Ronda will bounce back but I'm unsure if she can beat Holm though. It's one of those things where IQ is what makes the difference and that isn't just trained. You kinda have it or don't. Well, unless you have a coach like Greg Jackson, then he just does the thinking for you and you just execute.

Originally posted by ROSS CALIFORNIA View Post
      Where did you say that? Link please
      It's in the Ronda-Coreia topic. Can't be bothered to search through it but I said it literally right after Coreia got her top knocked off.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
        The thing is, Holm is still new to the MMA game. She is on a level of her own in the standup department but working with Greg Jackson camp, a camp known for it's safe fighters; mostly wrestlers. When Holm's ground game catches up to her stand up, it's gonna be ridiculous.

I think Ronda will bounce back but I'm unsure if she can beat Holm though. It's one of those things where IQ is what makes the difference and that isn't just trained. You kinda have it or don't. Well, unless you have a coach like Greg Jackson, then he just does the thinking for you and you just execute.

It's in the Ronda-Coreia topic. Can't be bothered to search through it but I said it literally right after Coreia got her top knocked off.
        Relatively speaking, Ronda has roughly the same amount of MMA experience as Holm. Holm has more fight experience though, and a far higher fight IQ. I think Holm will be a beast in the future, but the time is now for a wrestler like Tate to beat her.

Comment

How good or skilled is Ronda really? Was/is she just the precursor to Women's MMA, much like the Royce, Renzo etc to Male MMA? Or do y'all think she just got bested like any other mma fight? Like GSP to Hughes and Serra?
          Idk that that question really gets answered til Ronda fights again. Ronda's biggest asset was always her ability to compete. Chael Sonnen had a long tirade about this previous to the fight on his podcast that felt like he was preaching to my choir on that topic. How Ronda responds to being defeated for the first time in MMA should be with some hardwork & dedication.

Comment

Relatively speaking, Ronda has roughly the same amount of MMA experience as Holm.
            People keep saying this (& they both did turn pro in MMA in the same month in 2011), but idk that I buy it really. I think people are ignoring or just don't know that Holly has kickboxing experience that predates her boxing career. Holly been kicking people in the head since pre-Ronda having boobs probably (ie 14-15yrs ago).

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
              People keep saying this (& they both did turn pro in MMA in the same month in 2011), but idk that I buy it really. I think people are ignoring or just don't know that Holly has kickboxing experience that predates her boxing career. Holly been kicking people in the head since pre-Ronda having boobs probably (ie 14-15yrs ago).
              And Ronda has been throwing and armbarring *****es since before Holm had bush, but as far as MMA itself goes, they're pretty even in experience.

Comment

And Ronda has been throwing and armbarring *****es since before Holm had bush, but as far as MMA itself goes, they're pretty even in experience.
                Holly is religious I bet she has & has had mad bush for a long ass time (or thats what I wanna believe), certainly by age 17 when Ronda started competing in Judo as an 11yr old.

And I still say kickboxing is more beneficial to know in the Octagon than Judo is thus I see Holm as more experienced in MMA & certainly more experienced in a realer more physical element of combat sports when you add in her vast boxing experience + kickboxing vs Ronda's judo hip tossing boring ass sport experience.

Comment

She's not that new. She's incorporated mma training for years before her mma debut. She was a regular sparring partner of the female mma fighters in her gym like Julie Kedzie who joined her gym in early 2007, Sarah Kaufman and Michelle Waterson, not to mention guys like Carlos Condit.

I don't think Holly will ever fully develop her ground game. Having a strong take-down defense with superior striking is solid (until you run into a superior striker like Liddell did with Jackson). It's funny because Holly & McGregor both started catching hype at the same time. I remember Pat Miletich was calling a Holm fight saying that unlike McGregor, Holly would live up to her hype, lol. He was half right.

I think Ronda is proven legit by nearly clearing out her division in dominate fashion. Her dominance probably stunted her development, but before Holly, nobody could shut down her judo take downs. This should force her to evolve other take downs, making it harder to to deal with her ground game. Her striking is crude, but her KO power is legit. Holms admitted to getting hurt a couple times (probably when her mouth piece was knocked out). She can definitely learn not to fight so panicked next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                    Holly is religious I bet she has & has had mad bush for a long ass time (or thats what I wanna believe), certainly by age 17 when Ronda started competing in Judo as an 11yr old.

And I still say kickboxing is more beneficial to know in the Octagon than Judo is thus I see Holm as more experienced in MMA & certainly more experienced in a realer more physical element of combat sports when you add in her vast boxing experience + kickboxing vs Ronda's judo hip tossing boring ass sport experience.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
                      No different than when Tyson was leveling everyone...the difference is more media in the modern era, and the fact she's a woman...

Tyson didn't have 12 fights.

Comment

Working...
                      X