No announcement yet.

Rigondeaux's flaws will work in Donaire's favor

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigondeaux's flaws will work in Donaire's favor

Rigondeaux better bring something new to the table because the things he usually does in the ring won't work against Donaire. In fact, they will work in Donaire's favor.

-His right hand is very low and he likes to use it as a range finder, touch his opponent's gloves and bring it back low, he's pretty much asking to get countered over the top with a left hook.

-He's actually fairly easy to hit with right hand leads but even when he does duck the straight right hand, he gets low and then gets back up with his right hand by his waist. The straight right hand-left hook combination will be the key for Donaire in this fight, the right hand will either touch Rigo or will make him duck and open himself up for the left hook when his head goes back up.

-He doesn't jab much, he doesn't even throw that many punches, he's not that type of classical boxer. He's a patient counterpuncher who spends most of his time measuring his opponent. He doesn't open up until the timing and distance are perfect and when he does open up it's usually one shot at a time (unless his opponent is hurt). I don't see him winning many rounds that way against Donaire, Donaire will be throwing power shots and even if most of them are blocked his work will be enough to win most of the rounds. A couple clean left hands a round won't be enough for Rigo to win a decision.

-When he hurts his opponent he finally opens up and is very lethal BUT he relies to much on his left hand and throws it at a predictable rhythm. Even if he does hurt Donaire, I'm confident Donaire has the ability to time Rigondeaux's repetitious one-fisted attack and catch him with a deadly counter as he wounds up a left hand.

So in conclusion I would say that Rigondeaux is very skilled but in a mechanical kind of way, everything he does is calculated, not much variety but he's very efficient. Donaire on the other hand is highly instinctive, he can explode with power shots from both hands, change angles and throw punches on the move, he's very unorthodox and unpredictable. I think Donaire's explosiveness will disrupt Rigondeaux's rhythm and won't allow him to think as much as usual, that's why I got Donaire winning by KO or decision.

Your thoughts?

Not bad,you are right about Rigo's habits with his right hand. It is the one of the things I don't like in his technique that and his stance can get too wide. Rigo has a very good jab but as you point out uses it as a range finder not a weapon.That is because he is so good he adopts a cautious approch much as Mayweather does. However I don't think he is going to fight the style you describe when he gets in the ring with Donair but if he does the points you make are valid.
    I see it the other way round. That Donair is the one that needs to tidy up as he is too open to be hit and gets hit too much and with Rigp's straight fast powerful punches I see him getting marked up. I see Rigo throwing more combinations when he gets the opportunity than he normally does.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
      Rigondeaux better bring something new to the table because the things he usually does in the ring won't work against Donaire. In fact, they will work in Donaire's favor.

-His right hand is very low and he likes to use it as a range finder, touch his opponent's gloves and bring it back low, he's pretty much asking to get countered over the top with a left hook.

-He's actually fairly easy to hit with right hand leads but even when he does duck the straight right hand, he gets low and then gets back up with his right hand by his waist. The straight right hand-left hook combination will be the key for Donaire in this fight, the right hand will either touch Rigo or will make him duck and open himself up for the left hook when his head goes back up.

-He doesn't jab much, he doesn't even throw that many punches, he's not that type of classical boxer. He's a patient counterpuncher who spends most of his time measuring his opponent. He doesn't open up until the timing and distance are perfect and when he does open up it's usually one shot at a time (unless his opponent is hurt). I don't see him winning many rounds that way against Donaire, Donaire will be throwing power shots and even if most of them are blocked his work will be enough to win most of the rounds. A couple clean left hands a round won't be enough for Rigo to win a decision.

-When he hurts his opponent he finally opens up and is very lethal BUT he relies to much on his left hand and throws it at a predictable rhythm. Even if he does hurt Donaire, I'm confident Donaire has the ability to time Rigondeaux's repetitious one-fisted attack and catch him with a deadly counter as he wounds up a left hand.

So in conclusion I would say that Rigondeaux is very skilled but in a mechanical kind of way, everything he does is calculated, not much variety but he's very efficient. Donaire on the other hand is highly instinctive, he can explode with power shots from both hands, change angles and throw punches on the move, he's very unorthodox and unpredictable. I think Donaire's explosiveness will disrupt Rigondeaux's rhythm and won't allow him to think as much as usual, that's why I got Donaire winning by KO or decision.

Your thoughts?
      Perfect Observation!

Comment

i guess that why the fight is fought on the ring and not on paper on a discussion board.

If it was pacman would've destroyed marquez lmao

Comment

Originally posted by Cubanborn87 View Post
          i guess that why the fight is fought on the ring and not on paper on a discussion board.

What flaws of Marquez is Pacquiao able to capitalize, on paper?

Comment

Good point at least it has moved on from a battle of resumes as the key determinant of outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
              What flaws of Marquez is Pacquiao able to capitalize, on paper?
              I'm not going to go on detail my point is if it was fought on paper pacman would've whooped him because more people would've picked him. Don't get sensitive Marquez is the man, my fav mexican fighter.

Comment

I've seen Rigo train in Miami and yo...dude is small. I've never seen Nonito in person but I know come fight night he's going to be a lot bigger than Rigo. Skill wise I think Rigo has more technique, but against Donaire at the level he's at right now I don't think it's going to affect him. I also don't think Rigo's punches will have an effect. We've seen Rigo stunned several times, but if (and when) he feels Donaire's power...it's a completely different league.

If I'm a Donaire fan though, I'd be a lil concerned that maybe Donaire doesn't get up for this fight and takes Rigo for granted (which I think is what many of the Rigo fans are hoping for). I like Rigo too, but I think Donaire is at a different level right now.

Comment

I'm not going to go on detail my point is if it was fought on paper pacman would've whooped him because more people would've picked him. Don't get sensitive Marquez is the man, my fav mexican fighter.
                  Not getting sensitive, just curious about the example.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Rigo win this fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
                    Not getting sensitive, just curious about the example.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Rigo win this fight.
                    i hope so i have always been very high on rigo, but nonito is an excelent fighter also so we shall see

Comment

Working...
                    X