Put these Mexicans In Order

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    I'd agree with you on that.

Lopez was very skilled (Although I think his skills are overrated) but in terms of greatness, he's very overrated.
    I don't think ive ever seen people overrate his greatness, his lack of quality opponents is what hurts him. But I still consider him an ATG, just not above fighters like Chavez, Olivares , Morales, Barrera and Marquez.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtli. View Post
      I don't think ive ever seen people overrate his greatness, his lack of quality opponents is what hurts him. But I still consider him an ATG, just not above fighters like Chavez, Olivares , Morales, Barrera and Marquez.
      I'd say he's a boarderline ATG.

And he get's overrated all the time from my view. Other than Chavz, I see people saying he's greater than all those names you mentioned.

For example, I can't see any logical way he can be ranked ahead of Erik Morales.

Comment

And he get's overrated all the time from my view. Other than Chavz, I see people saying he's greater than all those names you mentioned.

For example, I can't see any logical way he can be ranked ahead of Erik Morales.
        I don't see how anybody can put him above Morales, I agree. I think it has more to do with his skills that people praise him the way they do. And thats just people who follow boxing closely, a casual fan wouldn't even know who Lopez is.

Comment

I see similarities between he and Joe Calzaghe. Great stats, shallow depth of opp (not style wise). Both were divisional greats in divisions still developing their history. Both were great fighters but get overrated when talking about where they rate all time with their finest countryman. I saw some people call Calz the GOAT Brit at times. Nutso.

Oh, and two more guys I'd rate over Lopez All-Time from Mexico: Zarate and Canto.

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
            God this looks Brutal..... How the hell do i split these guys!? lol

I'll have a think on it and get back to you homie
            It's not just brutal, it's hellish. Splitting Mexicans can result in a Machismo Mushroom Cloud

. . . a big f**k you to anyone who thinks that taking a backwards step, holding when hurt and not being willing to die in the ring are an acceptable part of boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Stokely View Post
              It's not just brutal, it's hellish. Splitting Mexicans can result in a Machismo Mushroom Cloud

. . . a big f**k you to anyone who thinks that taking a backwards step, holding when hurt and not being willing to die in the ring are an acceptable part of boxing.
              Haha!
              Mexicans.....

Comment

Chavez
                Sanchez
                Lopez
                Olivares
                Marquez
                Morales
                Barrera

Comment

I'll add one more, maybe not the most talented but definetly the most "mashisimo" and popular!

Gaspar "el Indio" Ortega WW top ten fighter, most telivised boxing shows ever! One of the most popular "full time prize fighters" from 1954 thru 1964!

152 wins (21 as a superfly to lightweight Mexican Records) 69KO wins--39 losses (stopped one time) 6 draw decs.

Notables;
                  Decs loss to Basillo giving 10lbs.(welter vs middle)
                  Decs loss to Griffth widely accepted as a robbed decs. return bout has Griffth tko winner in 12 for Ortegas only title try & only tko loss!
                  Tony D'Marco & Gaspar fought 3 times in a row with Gaspar winning 2 out of 3
                  Gaspar defeated a prime Benny "kid" Peret prior to Perets defeat to Griffth.
                  Stan Harrington 4 bout warriors were legendary they split 2&2!
                  Defeated Kid Gavalin in Kids prime.
                  once fought 11 times in a month! fought 5 bouts in 9 days! his last year he said he knew he was done because his legs just couldn't hold him anymore but his "chin" never failed him from getting up. He went on a 29 fight holiday all over the world with 21 of the fights being fought in his opponents home territory!

I'm abit bias to Gaspar because I first met him when I was about 8 years old and from then until now he is a total gentleman who carrys himself with dignity and class. Anyone who knows him will say the same about him!!
                  The term "great" and "warrior" is abit over used here but I can honestly say that El "Indio" was a "Great Warrior" and will always be included in any boxing list about terrific Mexican Fighters!!! If you know the history! Ray.
                  Last edited by Ray Corso; 12-15-2012, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                    I'll add one more, maybe not the most talented but definetly the most "mashisimo" and popular!

Gaspar "el Indio" Ortega WW top ten fighter, most telivised boxing shows ever! One of the most popular "full time prize fighters" from 1954 thru 1964!

152 wins (21 as a superfly to lightweight Mexican Records) 69KO wins--39 losses (stopped one time) 6 draw decs.

Notables;
                    Decs loss to Basillo giving 10lbs.(welter vs middle)
                    Decs loss to Griffth widely accepted as a robbed decs. return bout has Griffth tko winner in 12 for Ortegas only title try & only tko loss!
                    Tony D'Marco & Gaspar fought 3 times in a row with Gaspar winning 2 out of 3
                    Gaspar defeated a prime Benny "kid" Peret prior to Perets defeat to Griffth.
                    Stan Harrington 4 bout warriors were legendary they split 2&2!
                    Defeated Kid Gavalin in Kids prime.
                    once fought 11 times in a month! fought 5 bouts in 9 days! his last year he said he knew he was done because his legs just couldn't hold him anymore but his "chin" never failed him from getting up. He went on a 29 fight holiday all over the world with 21 of the fights being fought in his opponents home territory!

I'm abit bias to Gaspar because I first met him when I was about 8 years old and from then until now he is a total gentleman who carrys himself with dignity and class. Anyone who knows him will say the same about him!!
                    The term "great" and "warrior" is abit over used here but I can honestly say that El "Indio" was a "Great Warrior" and will always be included in any boxing list about terrific Mexican Fighters!!! If you know the history! Ray.
                    On what Planet is Griffith-Ortega 1 widely accepted as a robbery?
                    Last edited by IronDanHamza; 12-15-2012, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
                      I see similarities between he and Joe Calzaghe. Great stats, shallow depth of opp (not style wise). Both were divisional greats in divisions still developing their history. Both were great fighters but get overrated when talking about where they rate all time with their finest countryman. I saw some people call Calz the GOAT Brit at times. Nutso.

Oh, and two more guys I'd rate over Lopez All-Time from Mexico: Zarate and Canto.

Those who overrate Lopez and Calzaghe are probably enamored with the undefeated status they hold. Some people think that boxing is like college football where a loss is devastating.

Comment

Working...
                      X