Collapse
No announcement yet.

The earth is a very special planet - we don't realize how lucky we are

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This may help to explain why intelligent life is probably very rare in the universe:

Comment

complex organisms forming from inorganic elements isn't just rare, it's impossible.

Much less finding a suitable planet for this impossible thing to happen, of which we only know 1- earth.

Comment

If we weren't lucky, we wouldn't be able to debate how lucky we are in our placement.

We wouldn't be here.

Comment

Originally posted by Even Money View Post
          complex organisms forming from inorganic elements isn't just rare, it's impossible.

Much less finding a suitable planet for this impossible thing to happen, of which we only know 1- earth.
          We only know of one...

That's like having a fish tank with one goldfish in it and saying there's only one gold fish in all the water on earth, in fact that's probably an understatement.

When you realise the size of the universe, it makes you realise how insignificant we really are.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
            We only know of one...

That's like having a fish tank with one goldfish in it and saying there's only one gold fish in all the water on earth, in fact that's probably an understatement.

When you realise the size of the universe, it makes you realise how insignificant we really are.
            The size of the universe doesn't exceed how lucky we are to be alive.

And how valuable our time is. Nobody can realize the size of the universe we aren't mentally able to grasp its size.
            Last edited by DARKSEID; 06-14-2012, 07:31 PM.

Comment

it's a shame though that there are many powerful and wealthy people who would rather continue making a big profit if it means they are destorying the earth in the process...

Comment

Originally posted by Even Money View Post
                The size of the universe doesn't exceed how lucky we are to be alive.

And how valuable our time is. Nobody can realize the size of the universe.
                Considering the size of the universe is infinite to all intensive purposes anyway, it was bound to happen. We are just molecules arranged in a nice way over a long period of time.

As someone pointed out, you're made from the fragments of an exploding star.

The ratio of elements in the human body is similar to that, that makes up the universe.

Comment

Originally posted by PAC-BOY View Post
                  science amazes me...endless unanswered questions. The unknown! Cool shlt.
                  yes indeed!
                  I always wonder why we try so hard to go as far as we can in space when we still don't know what really lies in the deepest of the ocean or the jungles of Brazil

Comment

this has officially become a parody thread of some sort

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                      Considering the size of the universe is infinite to all intensive purposes anyway, it was bound to happen. We are just molecules arranged in a nice way over a long period of time.

As someone pointed out, you're made from the fragments of an exploding star.

The ratio of elements in the human body is similar to that, that makes up the universe.
                      That's another angle, but then again, if everything that makes life on this planet all came from the same source- the sun, that's still pretty incredible to me.

That billions of years ago, I(everything that makes me who i am) was part of a star, undergoing billions of years of thermonuclear fission.

Comment

Working...
                      X