Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's next for the Puerto Rican fanbase?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by littlemac
    I think the Puerto Rican fanbase or any Fanbase who only follow boxing for nationalistic reason can gain in new perspective on appreciating and being a fan of a fighter's skill then where he comes from which would enrich their enjoyment of the sport even more.

"El Finito" Lopez, "Chiquita" Gonzales, Chicanito, and Chavez were some of the fighters that gravitated me to boxing because of my Mexican background. Since then I have evolved into loving the sport more for what it is then just nationalistic reasons. Am not saying the being nationalistic is necessaryly bad, but it can limit you on truely enjoy the complete talent in boxing. Just my 2 cents.
    I'm not saying you have to follow the sport for nationality reasons but let's face it, it's always nice to have someone to root for. I guess it's a pride thing. Its nice to have someone represent your country and show what they're a capable of. I think I remember you saying you were Mexican. Maybe you don't feel the "pain" cause you guys always have someone to root for but me being Cuban I know it sucks . We're rare in the states and barely have one of our own to root for.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Puerto Rican boxing is in bad shape for real.

I guess they can hope Roman Martinez and Jayson Velez keep winning.

Comment

Yep, my Rican bros are being drugged thru the mud, i really dont see any fighterfrom PR who can rise them up, Dulorme was my one of my favorite prospects

I say they should stick with Danny, and i think Dulorme can comeback n be decent, but Garcia is the only one that looks good n can be special

Comment

Originally posted by TX_BOXNG View Post
          Yep, my Rican bros are being drugged thru the mud, i really dont see any fighterfrom PR who can rise them up, Dulorme was my one of my favorite prospects

I say they should stick with Danny, and i think Dulorme can comeback n be decent, but Garcia is the only one that looks good n can be special
          Garcia is American. It's like Mexico claiming Mikey Garcia or America claiming Abner Mares.

I don't see a Puerto Rican right now who can be a force in the sport.

Comment

I don't like Danny Garcia but I think it's phony that he never really repped his people. Then some PRs started embracing him once he beat Morales the first time and had a flag on his trunks. I don't remember a flag on his trunks when he fought Holt...

Comment

Puerto Ricoclaiming Garcia is like Cuba claiming Quillin. Yeah they may rep resent their heritage, but they are American.

Comment

Originally posted by jsfd26 View Post
                It's been a tough year for this fanbase. First, they witnessed Juanma's downfall in their own country, twice. Then came Dulorme due to some horrible matchmaking and the pressure of being on HBO. The same could be said for Del Valle. Last night Cotto fell short for a second time in the span of 7 months. And lastly, they lost Macho Camacho (RIP). So who's out there that can revive Puerto Rican boxing? In the US at least. Can these guys who lost bounce back?

This thread is not intended for bashing these guys as they are having a rough year as it is. So those Margarito lovers, stay out if you don't have anything constructive to say.
                P.R. boxing is definitely in a sad state right now. They only have Rocky Martinez and Jayson Velez who are actually looking good. I hope Juanma takes a tune up or two before trying to step up competition again. He needs to seriously work on his defense, he can't go on eating shots like he does. Cotto is battle worn. I seriously don't see him beating anyone else above 154. He should call it a career and retire. Dulorme, needs to learn defense and how to adjust also. His chin is questionable now too. Del Valle has good skill and chin, but he was rushed. Jonathon Gonzalez (the middleweight) is a lazy bum. He needs to hire a strength and conditioning coach. He impressed me against Dzinzuruk with his skill but he seemed gassed out due to his shape. WV2 is short of good. He has a lot of heart though I respect him for that. Thank god I watch boxing for the love of the sport though and not because of my nationality or else I'd be upset haha

PS. I like Garcia, but he's American. Born and raised here. I wouldn't even count him as a P.R. champion. You can't really.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
                  Seriously! Does everything has to do with race to you?
                  Yes my whole world revolve around race.

Comment

Both of Garcia's parents are born and raised in Puerto Rico so that counts. Btw Felix Verdejo debuts this week on ESPN he could be the next big thing and has Top Rank behind him.

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeVen0m
                      Quote:

Originally Posted by jsfd26

It's been a tough year for this fanbase. First, they witnessed Juanma's downfall in their own country, twice. Then came Dulorme due to some horrible matchmaking and the pressure of being on HBO. The same could be said for Del Valle. Last night Cotto fell short for a second time in the span of 7 months. And lastly, they lost Macho Camacho (RIP). So who's out there that can revive Puerto Rican boxing? In the US at least. Can these guys who lost bounce back?

This thread is not intended for bashing these guys as they are having a rough year as it is. So those Margarito lovers, stay out if you don't have anything constructive to say.

P.R. boxing is definitely in a sad state right now. They only have Rocky Martinez and Jayson Velez who are actually looking good. I hope Juanma takes a tune up or two before trying to step up competition again. He needs to seriously work on his defense, he can't go on eating shots like he does. Cotto is battle worn. I seriously don't see him beating anyone else above 154. He should call it a career and retire. Dulorme, needs to learn defense and how to adjust also. His chin is questionable now too. Del Valle has good skill and chin, but he was rushed. Jonathon Gonzalez (the middleweight) is a lazy bum. He needs to hire a strength and conditioning coach. He impressed me against Dzinzuruk with his skill but he seemed gassed out due to his shape. WV2 is short of good. He has a lot of heart though I respect him for that. Thank god I watch boxing for the love of the sport though and not because of my nationality or else I'd be upset haha

PS. I like Garcia, but he's American. Born and raised here. I wouldn't even count him as a P.R. champion. You can't really.
                      I'm not sure if Juanma is capable of coming back. He has taken 2 major beatings late in his career and has been out for a year already. Hopefully Dulorme can make a comeback, he got some good skills. Del Valle was brutalized but not destroyed like Dulorme so I think he will be alright. WV2 started boxing late and like you said he's short of good as well as a questionable chin.

The reason I'm not getting into the Garcia topic is cause some Cubans have embraced Quillin who's in the same situation as Garcia but I think he's been repping the flag longer. I like the guy (Quillin) but not cause of his nationality. Exciting fighter with alright skills who shows progression.

PRs got the Olympians but its probably gonna be a while till those guys make it into the scene.

Comment

Working...
                      X