bruno by decision
    0.00%
    draw
    0.00%
    ike by ko
    88.89%
    ike by decision
    0.00%

Ike no question, he had the better chin and better boxing skills. In my opinion the 90's would have been the era of Ike if he hadn't gone nuts, not Lewis'. I take Ike by mid KO, though it would have been a hell of a fight while it lasted.

Comment

Originally posted by La_Vibora View Post
      Ike no question, he had the better chin and better boxing skills. In my opinion the 90's would have been the era of Ike if he hadn't gone nuts, not Lewis'. I take Ike by mid KO, though it would have been a hell of a fight while it lasted.

Ike is way over rated today. He never beat a big top heavyweight so we have no idea how he would have fared. We do know he went life and death with Tua who himself was easily out boxed by Rahman until landing a late punch and by Lewis himself. To me Ike is nothing more than an excellent prospect that crapped away any potential he had. He never showed me a thing that made me believe he would have beaten Lewis or the K bros.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
        Ike is way over rated today. He never beat a big top heavyweight so we have no idea how he would have fared. We do know he went life and death with Tua who himself was easily out boxed by Rahman until landing a late punch and by Lewis himself. To me Ike is nothing more than an excellent prospect that crapped away any potential he had. He never showed me a thing that made me believe he would have beaten Lewis or the K bros.
        We've always agreed on this. But I'd pick Ike against Bruno. Big Frank lost EVERY major fight he was in, except for the McCall fight. And he was fading badly late against McCall.

Comment

Tua at the time, was a top heavyweight. And a decided favorite over Ike. Tua wasn't the blown up version we saw in subsequent bouts, he was a solid 225lbs who used his legs, jab and combinations to get inside and work for the eventual KO. And Chris Byrd was a highly ranked HW as well who Ibeabuchi demolished in a way that was never repeated by any of the top heavyweights that Byrd encountered.

Ibeabuchi probably does get overrated but, on the surface, he appeared to be the goods. The manner in which he won those two fights were very impressive. He stood in the trenches for twelve rounds with a young, dynamite fisted Tua, both throwing a record amount of punches and won a decision. He was craftier than the slick Byrd, using old school tactics and a variety of skill to set Byrd up for that finale. He probably would've beaten Michael Grant (who he was scheduled to meet next) and then it would've been on to Lennox. Bruno would've been hell for him, though. In spite of that Byrd KO, Ibeabuchi didn't really have one-punch power. He could, however, maintain a high workrate that would probably win him a decision as Bruno wears down toward the end.

Comment

Ike being overrated depends on who youre talking to.

One thing for certian is that he was a rare prospect. Tua and Byrd were damn good wins. I consider that version of Byrd to still be the best win that Wladimir has. and it wasnt just Ibeabuchis wins over them that were good...it was how he did it. He demolished Byrd in a way that really didnt happen again for years and years until Byrd was shot, and back then Byrd had a very good chin and was very elusive.

Tua may have been one dimensional, but back then before legal problems and everything he was trim and in shape, and had a high workrate to go along with his hard head and fists. And Ibeabuchi didnt just go the 'outboxing' route, he fought Tua at his own game and took a number of solid shots from him. one of the biggest failings in prospects is when they get hit, and Ike passed that test.

Im not one of the people that says 'oh, he would have flattened Lewis and the Klitschkos', but still...certainly would have liked to see what he could have become if he wasnt such a lunatic.

Comment

If Bruno stayed behing the jab like he did against McCall he would have a good chance. However if he went in like Tua, he would end being helpless on the ropes in the late rounds.

Comment

The reason I think he could have beat Lewis for various reasons. I think he would have beat Lewis the same way that Ray Mercer beat Lewis(yeah you read that right) The most important reason was that he was bat**** crazy, he would have charged Lennox forcing him to fight. To beat Lennox Lewis you had to get him out of his comfort zone, force him to come out of his shell to fight, I believe Ike had the speed and power to do that. One thing that was very understated about Lewis is that he had stamina problems, if Ike could get him to fight for 7 or 8 rounds, he wouldn't have much left for rounds 9-12, I think Ike could have got a late round KO over Lennox much like Vitali was on his way to doing before his cut got too bad.

Comment

ibeabuchi via knockoutus spectacularus

that's latin for something brutal

Comment

Originally posted by La_Vibora View Post
                    The reason I think he could have beat Lewis for various reasons. I think he would have beat Lewis the same way that Ray Mercer beat Lewis(yeah you read that right) The most important reason was that he was bat**** crazy, he would have charged Lennox forcing him to fight. To beat Lennox Lewis you had to get him out of his comfort zone, force him to come out of his shell to fight, I believe Ike had the speed and power to do that. One thing that was very understated about Lewis is that he had stamina problems, if Ike could get him to fight for 7 or 8 rounds, he wouldn't have much left for rounds 9-12, I think Ike could have got a late round KO over Lennox much like Vitali was on his way to doing before his cut got too bad.

This like other posts in this thread seems very reasonable. I still find Ike very overrated, but I like the logic behind this

Comment

Working...
                    X