No announcement yet.

UFC news: Chuck Liddell KTFO in the second round

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by warp1432 View Post
    Lol. Ramapage and Lidell both lose. Not a good day for the most popular guys in that sport.
    LOL Rampage also was arrested a while back hahaha. Still he's my favorite mma fighter, as far as personality goes. As a fighter my favorite is Anderson Silva followed by George St Pierre and Fedor Emilianenko. St Pierre resembles Jean Claude Van Damme ALLOT, accent, does the split, is also a kickboxer. Fedor Emilianenko makes you think Ivan Drago, the Rocky IV character "killing machine from Russia" and Rampage is just the funniest guy not making comedies i know.

Comment

A world class boxer would have never gotten hit with a wild overhand right like that, and they would never jump in with a wild uppercut like that.

Liddell is supposedly a very good standup fighter, but i cannot possibly see that considering how much of a ****in bum he is, and how atrocious his technique has always been.

Its a testament to how untalented most of his opponents are, that only a few people have done this too him
      Last edited by Kball15; 09-07-2008, 12:08 AM.

Comment

anderson silva is the mma's 2000's version of 1990's roy jones....

Comment

Originally posted by Kball15 View Post
          A world class boxer would have never gotten hit with a wild overhand right like that, and they would never jump in with a wild uppercut like that.

Liddell is supposedly a very good standup fighter, but i cannot possibly see that considering how much of a ****in bum he is, and how atrocious his technique has always been.

Its a testament to how untalented most of his opponents are, that only a few people have done this too him
          I think that's very harsh. You can't judge MMA by boxing standards.

Comment

Originally posted by Mozza View Post
            I think that's very harsh. You can't judge MMA by boxing standards.
            in a lot of ways you can. Its no coincidence that Liddell has been knocked out badly by every fighter he has faced that had some standup skills.

ANY boxer would have had that left hand tight to his face if he were going to jump in there with an uppercut from outside, and on top of that no elite boxer is stupid enough to jump in from the outside with a freakin uppercut

Comment

Caught the outro replay of the KO after Diaz-Katsidis. It was a good counter and a true KO, he was out cold, but people are overrating it as "KO of the year" already.

Comment

Yeah, the thing with with these UFC fighters is that they, i mean, most of them, spend too much time training ground techniques and chockes, and forget to work hard on boxing. I mean, what the ****, why would anybody with any boxing knowledge jump with an upper towards your enemy like that, he deserved what he got. He fought both rounds with both his hands down all the time too...it will definetly make the top 5 ko's of the year, he went out cold.

Comment

in a lot of ways you can. Its no coincidence that Liddell has been knocked out badly by every fighter he has faced that had some standup skills.

ANY boxer would have had that left hand tight to his face if he were going to jump in there with an uppercut from outside, and on top of that no elite boxer is stupid enough to jump in from the outside with a freakin uppercut
                  I agree that though Liddell has always been marketed as this awesome stand-up fighter, he's really never been as good as he's been made out to be by the UFC. His stand-up is effective in MMA because he's lucky enough to have power and his takedown defense lets him keep the fight standing, where he has previously been much better than his opponents. He's been figured out now, and you're right he makes a hell of a lot of mistakes. There are some truely good strikers in MMA, guys like Anderson Silva, Crocop etc, and when you assess Chuck's skills in comparrison to these guys, it becomes apparent just how lacking he is in his boxing.

But I think some people often are overly harsh on MMA fighters stand-up skills. You can't watch an MMA fight and expect to see the same stuff you see in pro-boxing. There's a lot of stuff that works great in boxing, but would put you in a lot of trouble in MMA.

Stance, for one thing. You can't adopt a boxing stance in MMA because it leaves your front leg open to being destroyed with low kicks. And in MMA you need to stand squarer on to your opponent to stop takedowns. You can't plant your feet as firmly in MMA as that also leaves you open for takedowns. A lot of bobbing and weaving you see in boxing would get you headkicked in MMA.

Another thing is that MMA is such a young sport, fighters have only been analysing how to fight standing in a sport which involves punching, kicking, knees and takedowns for 15 years. The whole sport of MMA is still evolving. As better athletes enter MMA, and fighters discover and refine their boxing and kickboxing specifically for MMA, the standard of striking on show will increase. I mean, boxing wasn't perfected in it's first 15 years either.

Comment

Boxing is also less likely to end on a single punch that MMA simply by virtue of what they wear on their hands. That puts a very different slant on the risk-reward factor.

I generally agree that Liddell got a pass in MMA for years because people were scared of his power and instictively felt their best chance to beat him was to go to ground which actually played right into his hands. Even in fights he won, the rematch with Tito Ortiz springs to mind, I always felt he seemed more vulnerable to standing attacks than takedown attempts and the like.

Comment

the face of the UFC = OWNED.........again

TAKE THAT AND SUCK IT DANA!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X