Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying out deadspace for the 1st time...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i thought the first was kind of boring, the 2nd and 3 amp it up a notch with the action.
    the 2nd its my favorite, the babies were pretty creepy

Comment

I bought it in 2008, and completed the single player in 2012 haha. Was too nervous to play it for any prolonged period of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BetterCallSaul View Post
        I bought it in 2008, and completed the single player in 2012 haha. Was too nervous to play it for any prolonged period of time.
        Damn, no $h!t??

Comment

Well I'm on the 10th mission of the original deadspace and it's so good I went and got 2 before I even finished 1. And my brother got me 3 already. I cannot wait to finish 1 and continue the series.

Comment

Yeah, I recently beat the original. Was heavily disappointed with the ending. For a game that good, that 30 second ending was busted.

Part 2 has a tighter feel to the gameplay, better graphics, but seems less thorough than the 1st. Hell I don't even know when I pass a mission. At the next save spots I be like 2 missions ahead of where I originally thought.

All in all enjoying the series. Can't wait to pop in part 3!!

Comment

Ok, beat part 2. The ending was far better and the game itself grew more and more intense the further along I went. J

It seems Mass Effect and Deadspace are brother games, ( I unlocked Mass Effect armor) apparently. The feel so far of part 3 is more shooter based. However very exciting and slightly more Mass Effectish in gameplay. Have a feeling I'm in for great things!!

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                The first two Dead Space games are the best survival horror games for quite some time. Even better than RE4 IMO.
                I disagree with the RE4 comment. I have both and played both, they are two slow paced survival horror game. It definitely revived what real SH is.But better than RE4? RE4 is the ultimate SH/action game that found the perfect balance between survival horror and action.

Comment

While I love RE4, I found absolutely no survival horror elements in it whatsoever. In fact, that was the game that propelled the series towards it's current downward trajectory. It was a fantastic third person action romp, but there were literally no horror elements to it at all : Ammo was plentiful, every enemy dropped gold which made it incredibly easy to overpower your weapons very early in the game, there were way too many weapons to choose from, the bosses were incredibly weak, etc...

The only moment I can think of in RE4 that I'd even describe as being slightly tense would be the underground area wherein Salazar's right hand (Verdugo) is stalking you, and even that is only tense the very first time you play it. After that you realize he's a total b*tch and never sit on the edge of your seat again.

It's an action game. The presence of monsters doesn't immediately make it horror. If that's the case then my favorite shooter series this generation (Gears of War) is a horror game, too.

Only it's not.

Comment

Bringer I don't know what you find scary, I actually hate horror films because they do not scare me anymore they are just gore. But the first time I played RE4, I barely made it out of the beginning woods and I quit the game because I was too scared to move forward with it. The game seriously made me nervous.

It then took me to grow giant balls to actually beat the horde of ganados you are attacked by in the village, including the a$$hole chainsaw guy. I beat that part scared to death.

The place where you are trapped by the two Bane looking blind dudes who only go by sound was nerve wrecking. Also the part where you are trapped with one in a cage.

The first time I heard the caped dudes say "Morir es vivir, morir es vivir" in their creepy voice, I nearly sh-tted myself.

The part where you are in a maze looking for puzzle pieces, and infected dogs jump out at you out of no where would make my heart jump out of my chest.

The Bella sisters (with chainsaws).

These are just some of the scary/nerve-wrecking parts of RE4.

Bringer I know how you feel about RE now, but to discredit RE4 as a non-SH game is just over criticizing the series. Give credit where credit is due. I'll give you RE5-RE6 as action games. But RE4 was the perfect balance, hence why it's one of the greatest games of all time, and consistently seen as the best game in the series, if it's just an action shooter like you say, it gets sh-tted on by many games of that genre.
                    Last edited by -Kev-; 11-02-2013, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                      Bringer I don't know what you find scary, I actually hate horror films because they do not scare me anymore they are just gore. But the first time I played RE4, I barely made it out of the beginning woods and I quit the game because I was too scared to move forward with it. The game seriously made me nervous.

It then took me to grow giant balls to actually beat the horde of ganados you are attacked by in the village, including the a$$hole chainsaw guy. I beat that part scared to death.

The place where you are trapped by the two Bane looking blind dudes who only go by sound was nerve wrecking. Also the part where you are trapped with one in a cage.

The first time I heard the caped dudes say "Morir es vivir, morir es vivir" in their creepy voice, I nearly sh-tted myself.

The part where you are in a maze looking for puzzle pieces, and infected dogs jump out at you out of no where would make my heart jump out of my chest.

The Bella sisters (with chainsaws).

These are just some of the scary/nerve-wrecking parts of RE4.

Bringer I know how you feel about RE now, but to discredit RE4 as a non-SH game is just over criticizing the series. Give credit where credit is due. I'll give you RE5-RE6 as action games. But RE4 was the perfect balance, hence why it's one of the greatest games of all time, and consistently seen as the best game in the series, if it's just an action shooter like you say, it gets sh-tted on by many games of that genre.
                      "Scary" is obviously a subjective term, but you're literally the only person I've ever met who used it in reference to RE4.

Video games that I found scary or unnerving? Silent Hill 2 immediately springs to mind. Others that put me on the edge of my seat would include Fatal Frame 2, the original RE, Eternal Darkness, Siren, and F.E.A.R.

Most of those games have a common theme : They play on the mind of the player and rely heavily on atmosphere and soundtrack to achieve their goal of making the player feel uneasy about their surroundings. They also don't cater to new-comers by making an arsenal of weapons and ammo available to ensure an easy path of completion.

In the case of Eternal Darkness, it routinely broke the fourth wall and actually ****ed with your mind by simulating changing your television volume and channel, corrupting your memory card at a vital point in the game, and stalking you with randomly placed piercing screams and the sound of footsteps so close that you'd have to remind yourself that it was just a game.

Those types of atmospheres and gameplay mechanics wherein you're placed in a threatening environment ill-equipped to handle it are far more unnerving to me than some **** with a potato sack over her head coming at me in a straight line with a chainsaw.

I see that **** at every haunted attraction I visit every year and it hasn't scared me since I was very young. It damn sure doesn't have much of an effect when I have an inventory of a dozen fully upgraded weapons with hundreds of rounds of ammo, various types of grenades, and about a dozen healing items.

And no, it's not being overly-critical of the RE series to state the obvious, which is that RE4 is a straight-forward action title. There's nothing wrong with action games, I love them myself, I'm just not going to pretend like it's atmospheric and hostile when it's so ridiculously easy to kill every threat you face.
                      Last edited by ßringer; 11-02-2013, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X