Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” — How Much Credit Does Broner Deserve?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” — How Much Credit Does Broner Deserve?

by David P. Greisman - This is an era in which seemingly anyone can be a world titleholder, with four major sanctioning bodies offering belts and baubles for everyone from the highest ranked to the highest bidder.

This is a business in which seemingly everyone’s career is navigated strategically, when an undefeated prospect is also often an untested one, and when even the true top talents have their opponents selected carefully to provide the appearance of accomplishment until they are truly ready to prove themselves.

And this is a sport in which the fans will doubt everyone and everything, with their opinions colored by their emotions and their expectations.

It’s no surprise, then, that what boxing fans thought of Adrien Broner’s win over Paulie Malignaggi depended on one of two things: what they thought of Broner before the fight, and what they thought would happen during it.

Broner has followed the blueprint of his boxing idol, Floyd Mayweather Jr., incorporating elements of his style and his shtick. Like Mayweather, he has positioned himself as an antihero to some and an antagonist to others. He is loved and loathed, rooted for and rooted against. [Click Here To Read More]

I think Pauli is a crafty C class fighter. He was never elite and never will be. But, he was still the champion and the fight was still in his back yard. Broner deserves a lot of credit for jumping 2 weight classes and fighting in Brooklyn. Pauli, though not elite, is a solid experienced fighter and is the best Broner has faced up to this point. Maidana will probably be next and he too is a C class fighter who presents different types of questions for Adrien to answer. Pauli had speed an experience where Maidana has raw power and determination. Will Broner be able to take that power? I think so. I think this kid is the real deal. There are only 2 questions left about him. Can he take a great shot and can he bounce back from adversity in the ring like a cut or knock down. Those are questions we have for all great fighters in the beginning. You can see from this fight with Pauli that he still has work to do because he is not a finished product, but he is only 23 years old. 2 more good solid fights and this kid will be elite. Outside the ring he has a love me or hate me mentality that will make him a rich man one day. In the ring behind all that gold and glitter stands a very tough street kid who will not take no for an answer. He's flashy but rough and I can't imagine anyone bullying him around in the ring. No doubt about it, he is a fighter and not a pretty boy. The sky is the limit for this guy so jump on the bandwagon now. 15 years from now, we will be comparing him to the greats.
    Last edited by jvsnypes; 06-24-2013, 02:16 AM.

Comment

little to none considering all of the trash that he talks...................

Comment

Credit.....for losing to Paulie and apparently not even getting drug tested?

Comment

Anyone who had Broner on their pound for pound lists can now remove him.

Comment

The main issue I have with Greisman's article is his reliance on the punch stats because I don't think they were accurate.

Comment

little credit

Broner hand picked Paulie. He thought he was easy Pickings since he had a belt and had his face smashed in by Cotto, had his ass handed to him by Khan. Broner barely won that fight against a gamed Paulie. Disappointed former fan. Stick to showtime cause I'm not paying to see boner fight on ppv.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
                The main issue I have with Greisman's article is his reliance on the punch stats because I don't think they were accurate.
                I'm not surprised Paulie landed less, because "EVERY ROUND ALL NIGHT" he probably only managed to hit boner once out of a 5/6 patty punch flurry.

Example: Shoulder > elbow > glove > shoulder > shoulder > body shot. do you really think this is scoring 6 times? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by BajanXLegend View Post
                  I'm not surprised Paulie landed less, because "EVERY ROUND ALL NIGHT" he probably only managed to hit boner once out of a 5/6 patty punch flurry.

Example: Shoulder > elbow > glove > shoulder > shoulder > body shot. do you really think this is scoring 6 times? LOL
                  Working hard there, aren't you?

Comment

Broner deserves the credit any fighter would get for winning tough against Paulie Malignaggi at this point. Whatever you feel that is.

Comment

Working...
                    X