Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Cotto in the same predicament as Gatti?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Cotto in the same predicament as Gatti?

Remember when Gatti became a "man without a country" towards the end of his career. He was too small for 154 and had trouble making 147. Is Cotto in the same predicament.

he looks fine to me @ 154

Comment

Originally posted by MANIAC310 View Post
      he looks fine to me @ 154
      He looked a little soft to me at 154. Foreman, Margarito, and Mayorga aren't exactly viable tests to how well he will do. I am just curious to how well people think he will do when he starts running into legit JMW's

Comment

Cotto is in the same position as Gatti via too many bloody wars.

Cotto, as much as I love the guy, is an old shell of what he once was now.

Comment

While I do think May is probably at his strongest, I don't see him at his most explosive.

I don't see it ending that bad. I mean, really, really bad.

I can maybe see it ending in the 9th, or 10th round, but I think Cotto makes it all 12.

But he ain't got like the punishment....

Comment

Cotto will go 12 just fine. He will get caught early by mayweather but once he starts backing up floyd aint exactly gonna go looking for him.

Comment

Cotto looked strong and seemed to have good stamina in the Marg fight. He's not a big 154lber though.

I think people are looking at Cotto's losses to both Margarito and Pacquiao as a precursor to what Floyd will do to Cotto, which I think is the wrong way to look at this fight based on Mayweather's style. Floyd doesn't beat you up more than just take you mentally out of the fight. I think the fight is going 12 rounds. One of the interesting points that I don't see anyone really mentioning is both guys' dirty tactics they get away with most of the time (Cotto's low blows, Floyd's elbow to the face). I see a very good chess match by both.

Comment

If Cotto goes back to the seek & destroy left to the body type of fight, he has a chance. IMO what Floyd does is make boxers think too much. That's why I firmly believe that the Margarito he avoided was a bad matchup for Floyd. A pure pressure fighter that's gonna throw punches regardless has the best chance against Floyd.

Floyd makes boxers/boxer punchers hesitate & think too much. Then they become gunshy & get picked apart. Guys like Kirkland, Tehe Punisher & a prime 2007 Margarito would have been dangerous, boxers & boxer punchers don't stand a chance because Floyd is superior to them.

Comment

Cotto is a short 154 lber, but i think his skills and power even that out.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
                    If Cotto goes back to the seek & destroy left to the body type of fight, he has a chance. IMO what Floyd does is make boxers think too much. That's why I firmly believe that the Margarito he avoided was a bad matchup for Floyd. A pure pressure fighter that's gonna throw punches regardless has the best chance against Floyd.

Floyd makes boxers/boxer punchers hesitate & think too much. Then they become gunshy & get picked apart. Guys like Kirkland, Tehe Punisher & a prime 2007 Margarito would have been dangerous, boxers & boxer punchers don't stand a chance because Floyd is superior to them.
                    No man thats the entirely wrong approach for Cotto to take against Floys and would get him sparked out quick.

He needs to fight a similar fight as to what ODLH did when he found success against Floyd. He has to use his jab to dictate the fight, inflict damage and make Floyd uncomfortable. If he can do that then he can use the rest of his offense effectively. That means he cant be reckless like he was when you refer to him as the "old Cotto".

If he can put Floyd in the Corner occasionally and get off some good shots on him he can do damage and put rounds in the bank. The problem DLH had with that strategy was that he stayed in front of Floyd too much and got countered. Get your sots off and get back out of range. If he can somehow get ahead on the cards and make put the pressure on Floyd to play catch up we will have great fight.

He has to box some and he has to aggressive but he may also need to fight on the back foot and walk Floyd into some good counters. Remember Cotto will be the bigger guy he will be the stronger guy but if he goes relying on that Floyd will pick him apart.
                    Last edited by freedom213; 02-06-2012, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X