No announcement yet.

Ricky Hatton: Collazo is a horrible fight for Khan

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ricky Hatton: Collazo is a horrible fight for Khan

Manchester boxing legend Ricky Hatton claims Amir Khan has picked a ‘horrible fight’ against one of his former opponents, Luis Collazo.

Bolton boxer Khan will make his welterweight debut on the undercard for Floyd Mayweather's bout against Marcos Maidana at the MGM Arena in Las Vegas on May 3.

Khan was hoping to the pound-for-pound superstar himself, but will instead fight the hard-hitting New Yorker Collazo, with the winner possibly set to face Mayweather in September.

Hatton believes Khan has the tools to win, but has warned the boxer that he needs to do just that, box, and not get drawn into a war.

“I just think it's a horrible fight for Amir. There are easier fights he could have had, but that's why we love him," Hatton said.

"My advice to Amir is, if his team think he will go to war like he has done in the past, it's going to be a very, very tough night for him.

“He's going to have to be disciplined. If he uses his speed and boxing ability I think he will win.

"But if he goes to war, which is what he tends to do, he's got a big heart and he likes to get stuck in, he could come a cropper.”

Hatton also claimed he sees no reason why Khan would be denied a shot at Mayweather if he defeats Collazo.

“He would have proven he deserves the shot then.

"100 per cent I give Amir credit for taking the fight. Collazo's a southpaw, he's big, he's fast, he's just beaten Victor Ortiz in two rounds – a great win – and I'm a bit shell-shocked.

“I'm sure there are other welterweights he could have gone in with who are world class but not big punchers.

Khan (28-3, 19 KO) is moving up to 147 pounds for the first time, and hopes that winning the fight will finally get him the big money bout against the unbeaten Mayweather (45-0, 26 KO).

The Olympic silver medallist has not fought since an unconvincing point’s victory over Julio Diaz in Sheffield last April.

The 27-year-old must now continue to wait for the chance to face Mayweather, but in the meantime is eager getting back between the ropes against notoriously awkward Collazo.

Hatton gave a few tips to his fellow countryman on how to beat Collozo, as the ‘Hitman’ was able to beat the American in a bruising encounter in Boston in 2006.

"When I fought Luis Collazo, back when I was young and fresh, my chin was as solid as a rock," Hatton said.

"Only a few fights before I'd fought Kostya Tzsyu and I'd walked through everything he threw at me. I was always a very physically strong light-welterweight and I had a good chin."

Hatton, known for his brutal body power shots, says he immediately noticed the difference when he moved up the weight divisions, and thinks this could be a huge factor if Khan gets drawn into a brawl.

"Collazo's an all-rounder. As a light-welterweight, I was able to throw people around a little bit at 10 stone – even Kostya Tszyu at the time,” Hatton said.

“But when I went up seven pounds, the first time I went in with Collazo at close quarters and I just tried to nudge him, he didn't move.”

“And I thought, 'Jeez,' this is different. You'd like to think Amir will beat him if he sticks to his boxing, but if he goes to war it would be the worst thing he could do."

http://www.mancunianmatters.co.uk/co...80%99-upcoming

Seems to me Ricky's hinting towards picking Collazo to win.

As are many others.

Gonna be an interesting one that's for sure.

Comment

Aka Khan is going to get iced. WARKHAN!!!!!!!

Comment

I agree with Hatton. Khan has to avoid the exchanges and keep this fight on the outside with constant jabs, movement and fast combination punching. He cannot allow himself to get drawn into a fire fight with Collazo; Which is perhaps his only chance of winning. In addition, since Collazo is a good inside pressure fighter who punches in volume; Khan would need to learn the art of clinching, in order to avoid absorbing punishment to the midsection and torso.

Comment

I don't know if I would call it a horrible fight because Khan does have the tools to take it to Collazo. However if Khan fights in what I will be generous and call it a non-thoughtful manner (which is pretty much the norm) it will be a rough night for him because Collazo it good at setting up his shots and Khan gets real predictable.

Comment

I agree with Ricky, he has fought him after all...I recently finished his new book and remember the part he was talking about Collazo, he kind of talks the same way in this article.

It is an interesting fight, I like Khan but he can't afford some stupid stuff. Yeah he makes the fights entertaining but his career is in the balance if he is stopped again let's be honest.

Comment

I'm getting more and more confused regarding this fight as the time goes on, I'm starting to have doubts over Virgil Hunter as a good trainer, his fighters aren't doing jack shi8 and losing fights.

It will solely depends on which Khan turns up come May3rd, if its the same Khan as was against (Diaz,Peterson,Prescott etc.) there's no chance.

Still putting my money on Khan to win by a UD, jeez! Khan sure is a hard one to bet on, he's bookie's nightmere.

Comment

Originally posted by Uklad View Post
                I'm getting more and more confused regarding this fight as the time goes on, I'm starting to have doubts over Virgil Hunter as a good trainer, his fighters aren't doing jack shi8 and losing fights.

It will solely depends on which Khan turns up come May3rd, if its the same Khan as was against (Diaz,Peterson,Prescott etc.) there's no chance.

Still putting my money on Khan to win by a UD, jeez! Khan sure is a hard one to bet on, he's bookie's nightmere.
                Good point. Actually, everytime I see Khan and Hunter together, I feel something is just not right. I am not feeling this Hunter guy at all. Khan needs a different trainer, and fast.

Comment

I'm going with Collazo by KO in this fight.

Comment

I know what Ricky is saying, but if Khan ain't ready for Collazo why on earth would he be ready for Mayweather which seem's to be what Khan is proclaiming.

If Khan keep's blabbing on about fighting the best fighter on the planet he has to step up and fight the best welterweights on the planet, and let's be honest Collazo is a little below that level, although a good fighter and one i believe will spark Khan.

Comment

Working...
                    X