Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Can I Sleep Better When A Vacuum Cleaner/Hoover Is On?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [PLEASE HELP] Why Can I Sleep Better When A Vacuum Cleaner/Hoover Is On?

I have difficulty sleeping sometimes and used to listen to the sound of rain to help knock me out. I recently lay in bed while my wife did the cleaning and I was out in about 5 mins, due to the sound of the vacuum cleaner/hoover.

Personally, I'd never come across this before.

I'm already a weirdo but does this help others sleep to or am I the only one?

ask your psychiatrist.

honestly, i don't know. it's supposed to be soothing somehow. google 'white noise' you should probably come up with something.

Comment

I've always had a rough time getting to sleep without some kind of sound in the background, a fan or something. Were you scared of the dark when you were little?

Comment

Originally posted by Big BRICKS View Post
        I've always had a rough time getting to sleep without some kind of sound in the background, a fan or something. Were you scared of the dark when you were little?
        I've been through the fan phase. Fan, TV, radio... you name it, I've tried it.

I don't really remember if I was ever afraid of the dark, thinking about it though, I did watch the 'Are you afraid of the dark?' episodes on the BBC as a kid lol

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy Horton View Post
          ask your psychiatrist.

honestly, i don't know. it's supposed to be soothing somehow. google 'white noise' you should probably come up with something.
          Don't think I need a psychiatrist

I've looked it up but didn't really find many details on it. On 'white noise', yes, you get a few descriptions but I'm more after how it actually works.

Comment

haha, I've slept with a fan on my entire life. It drains out all the other noise so I'm just used it now.

Comment

It goes back to being in utero. The sound of the cord blood plus your mother's heartbeat sounds quiet similar to a vacuum cleaner. I had to run my hair dryer for my daughter when she couldn't sleep.

Doctors actually will tell you to run a vacuum to help a newborn sleep if they are fussy (I kid not, by the way)
              Last edited by Bossy; 01-06-2012, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X