No announcement yet.

HBO Boxing 2012 Telecasts show very strong Ratings

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by croz View Post
    These are all HBO ratings. It only shows their ratings are good by their own standards. Since they're a small network these numbers are normal. If these same boxers were fighting on something like CBS they'd be household names since their numbers might be ten fold what they get on HBO. For example Mike Tyson fought on network TV with ratings in the 40 million range. These days those same fights would be PPV. If Canelo fought on CBS he could nab in the 10 million plus range.
    Where is the proof that a young not yet established Tyson drew 40 million viewers? I have a circle of about 8 or 10 people that all follow and watch boxing just like myself. So if there is about 10 of us here than I think it is just fine nationwide. I don't know anybody that watches NASCAR but that does alright.

Comment

tyson did huge ratings

Comment

Originally posted by Thornton Melon View Post
        Where is the proof that a young not yet established Tyson drew 40 million viewers? I have a circle of about 8 or 10 people that all follow and watch boxing just like myself. So if there is about 10 of us here than I think it is just fine nationwide. I don't know anybody that watches NASCAR but that does alright.
        http://articles.latimes.com/1995-12-...2_1_mike-tyson

Fox said its research showed that more than 43 million people viewed all or part of the telecast, which also included Terry Norris vs. Paul Vaden.

At the same time, HBO reported a cable rating of 14.6 with a 23 share Friday night for its telecast of the Oscar De La Hoya-Jesse Leija fight at Madison Square Garden.

Each ratings point represents 1% of the network's total potential universe, which in the case of HBO is 22 million homes and in the case of Fox is about 96 million. Share figures represent the percentage of TV's in actual use.

GB and TR are kidding themselves if they think network TV won't build stars fast. I think Kathy Duva might be the only one with her head screwed on.
        Last edited by croz; 07-27-2012, 08:09 AM.

Comment

I totally forgot that Tyson fought on fox after he got out of prison. I was thinking about the Tyson that used to fight on Saturday afternoons on ABC when Lampley was calling the fights for ABC. I was thinking there was no way he was drawing 40 million viewers on a Saturday afternoon. My bad.

Comment

In reality these are very low numbers. It's kinda dissapointing when you think about it. just 1.5 million people in all of the 300million population of the US ever see boxing. Like another guy said, I have never even met someone who knows anything about boxing. My dad only, but that doesnt really count.

I would love to see boxing get it's chance on network tv, but that will never happen. Promoters don't make as much money. If boxing got to networks, boxers would make the majority of money off of sponsors. Promototers cant take their share of that and they know it. With smaller overall purses it makes no sense to switch to networks.

Im ind of in denial about this but I am coming to terms. See boxing br big in America is a mini dream of mine, but deep down I know it will always be fringe.

Comment

A couple years ago people were dogging HBO about their ratings, not much has really changed other than a couple more popular fighters came along.

Boxing is a cyclical in nature and even a big dogs like HBO gets effected by that~

WRU Thomas Hauser~

Comment

Lundy vs Broner should be HBOs next big target

Comment

Working...
                X