No announcement yet.

What made Tyson vs Lewis a megafight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What made Tyson vs Lewis a megafight?

I remember before this fight was made thinking, Lewis is going to Kill Iron Mike. To big (height & weight) & pretty skilled. Tyson had already been KO'd twice before, some can argue the Real Deal was on his way to KO'ing him again before the ear incident, he was coming off a NC win for popping for pot, & not to mention he was never really the same after he did time (as most fighters are not).

So again what was all the buzz about? Was it just because it was Tyson & the persona he carries? Was it an England vs. U.S. thing? All & all, it wasn't pretty predictable before hand except for that "what if" Tyson catches him clean but Tyson was KO'ing quality guys anymore at that point of his career...
    Last edited by WarVeteranO01; 05-01-2015, 10:18 AM.

Because Tyson was still a massive name in sports and he was challenging for the heavyweight championship. Lewis was a big, established name by that point as well.

Comment

Fans still thinking/hoping Tyson had something left. The press conference with Tyson biting Lewis's leg also helped.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
        I remember before this fight was made thinking, Lewis is going to Kill Iron Mike. To big (height & weight) & pretty skilled. Tyson had already been KO'd twice before, some can argue the Real Deal was on his way to KO'ing him again before the ear incident, he was coming off a NC win for popping for pot, & not to mention he was never really the same after he did time (as most fighters are not).

So again what was all the buzz about? Was it just because it was Tyson & the persona he carries? Was it an England vs. U.S. thing? All & all, it was pretty predictable before hand except for that "what if" Tyson catches him clean but Tyson was KO'ing quality guys anymore at that point of his career...
        Many of the English press row were picking a Tyson victory. A lot of people were taking the view that if Rahman can KO Lewis with one punch......even a partially shot Tyson can do at least as good!

Tyson always had the aura and the casual fan bought the story that if he got in shape and had a decent trainer that he'd be 'invincible' again. Tyson was going bonkers in interviews saying he wanted to eat Lewis's kids.....and Tyson took a chunk out of Lewis's leg at one of the press conferences. His savagery appeared to be back!!

He had quite a good run up to Lewis too. He looked pretty useful against Norris, Savaresse, Francis and Nielsen.......and had finished Golota and Botha with savage blows.

I thought Tyson had a punchers chance too......and for 'one' round, he did look pretty good. Ha ha

Comment

I was still a kid and Lewis was my favorite fighter growing up, Tyson was still big, and on the news alot even for stuff outside of boxing. I was excited for this fight, but my dad told Tyson was going to get KO'd, hes was well washed already. This was also the first time i saw Pac fight on the under card.

Comment

Originally posted by RetroSpeed05 View Post
            I was still a kid and Lewis was my favorite fighter growing up, Tyson was still big, and on the news alot even for stuff outside of boxing. I was excited for this fight, but my dad told Tyson was going to get KO'd, hes was well washed already. This was also the first time i saw Pac fight on the under card.
            Lewis ur fav fighter? you have a bad taste.

Comment

Originally posted by Norm Peterson View Post
              Because Tyson was still a massive name in sports and he was challenging for the heavyweight championship. Lewis was a big, established name by that point as well.
              this........

Comment

Tyson ate & pooped out Lewis' children. What a furore that caused.

Comment

The fight had time to grow, like we have Mayweather-Pacquiao now. Makes for a mega fight. Clash of personalities has something to do with it too, in both instances.

Comment

It's was a fight people still wanted Tyson was still a major draw and it was for the most prestigious title in boxing ..

Comment

Working...
                    X