Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the next great generation of boxers already in MMA?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the next great generation of boxers already in MMA?

Seriously.

Connor with his speed and power would be a top Jr welter or lightweight champ. Jon Jones kills at cruiser or maybe lt heavy. GSP would've been an elite middle.

I don't think so, not yet at least. Eventually, I could see MMA having lots of all-around fighters, but that hasn't happened yet. They're usually training in one field and just skip over still. We have to wait for people to grow up learning MMA, instead of doing it late in their careers. That's why I never agreed with the hype MMA received, and that whole "MMA fighters would automatically beat boxers" thing. It was ridiculous. A boxer would've always had as much of a chance in MMA because they're not so different from what's already there. Holm proved it. You just have to learn a couple things, and you're set.

As for the stand-up, MMA fighters are nowhere near the same level as boxers. Liddell, who even Mayorga is better than, dominated the UFC for years. That alone says it all. It's easy to look good against MMA fighters who don't know how to box, but a real boxer would KO them in a second, if they ever tried that against them.

It's inevitable that the hype will come again, and people will say the same things. But boxers are some of the top martial artists out here today. I don't care what the mostly White, casual MMA fans think. There's something bad about how that sport is sectioned off like that. As much as I don't like Mayweather, I've enjoyed how far he's embarrassed the UFC. Boxing is all-around more inclusive, and thus has better talent.

Comment

Originally posted by SunSpace View Post
      I don't think so, not yet at least. Eventually, I could see MMA having lots of all-around fighters, but that hasn't happened yet. They're usually training in one field and just skip over still. We have to wait for people to grow up learning MMA, instead of doing it late in their careers. That's why I never agreed with the hype MMA received, and that whole "MMA fighters would automatically beat boxers" thing. It was ridiculous. A boxer would've always had as much of a chance in MMA because they're not so different from what's already there. Holm proved it. You just have to learn a couple things, and you're set.

As for the stand-up, MMA fighters are nowhere near the same level as boxers. Liddell, who even Mayorga is better than, dominated the UFC for years. That alone says it all. It's easy to look good against MMA fighters who don't know how to box, but a real boxer would KO them in a second, if they ever tried that against them.

It's inevitable that the hype will come again, and people will say the same things. But boxers are some of the top martial artists out here today. I don't care what the mostly White, casual MMA fans think. There's something bad about how that sport is sectioned off like that. As much as I don't like Mayweather, I've enjoyed how far he's embarrassed the UFC. Boxing is all-around more inclusive, and thus has better talent.
      How has Mayweather embarassed the UFC?

ALso, Holly succeeded in WMMA and therefore in a very weak division.

A Judoka with the same amount of MMA experience as Holly dominated with terrible striking and literally one submission.

No male fighter could do what Ronda did too a any male division with such a limited skillset.
      Last edited by VicariousVice; 04-17-2016, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SunSpace View Post

I don't understand how Floyd "embarrassed the UFC" at all. Explain that one.

For sure though Connor vs Floyd in strictly a boxing match Floyd wins but Connor vs Floyd in a street fight, MMA ring, kickboxing ring, muy Thai ring etc etc etc etc etc absolutely Connor murders Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by VicariousVice View Post
          How has Mayweather embarassed the UFC?

ALso, Holly succeeded in WMMA and therefore in a very weak division.

A Judoka with the same amount of MMA experience as Holly dominated with terrible striking and literally one submission.

No male fighter could do what Ronda did too a any male division with such a limited skillset.
          They've tried to use his name to launch fighters that they wanted to market, only to watch the plans go up in smoke (head kick and quick tap, respectively); Jon "Bones" Jones is clearly the UFC's best fighter, but the UFC won't hitch the wagon to him 1)due to his personal issues, that don't really sit well with the public and 2)because he's got the "wrong part" of Floyd Mayweather in him [unwilling to jump in on things on short notice, dotting i's and crossing t's about any business terms/dealings, not really shilling for the cameras, etc]

Royce Gracie did exactly what Ronda Rousey did; only difference is he did so in the days of openweight combat.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
            They've tried to use his name to launch fighters that they wanted to market, only to watch the plans go up in smoke (head kick and quick tap, respectively); Jon "Bones" Jones is clearly the UFC's best fighter, but the UFC won't hitch the wagon to him 1)due to his personal issues, that don't really sit well with the public and 2)because he's got the "wrong part" of Floyd Mayweather in him [unwilling to jump in on things on short notice, dotting i's and crossing t's about any business terms/dealings, not really shilling for the cameras, etc]

Royce Gracie did exactly what Ronda Rousey did; only difference is he did so in the days of openweight combat.
            Royce would make the entire may weather family men, women, aunts, uncles, babies and grandparents tap all on the same night. Man couldn't be touched in his prime

Comment

Why are you even talking about this gay ass sport? take this **** to the bastard MMA forum.

Comment

Originally posted by lparm View Post
                Royce would make the entire may weather family men, women, aunts, uncles, babies and grandparents tap all on the same night. Man couldn't be touched in his prime
                And Floyd Mayweather, Roger(now), Big Floyd(now), Jeff(now), novice Justin Jones-Mayweather, "lil bro" Broner, and a host of other people in Floyd's family would box the **** out of Royce; not sure what your point is.

Royce Gracie was 26 years old when UFC 1 came around; he walked away at 28 years old.

If I had to guess, the idea that he may end up having to fight a guy like Oleg Taktarov (6' and just over 200lbs, Taktarov was also a grappling/judo practitioner in his own right) likely had a significant say in him "calling it a career".

Comment

Originally posted by lparm View Post
                  I don't understand how Floyd "embarrassed the UFC" at all. Explain that one.
                  There's some kind of theory that because Ronda and Conor said they would beat up Floyd in an interview, then lost to other MMA fighters, Floyd holds wins over both of them.

According to the same logic Roy Jones holds a win over Anderson Silva, Tyson Fury holds a win over Junior Dos Santos, Wladimir Klitschko holds a win over Kane Velasquez...

Damn in my imagination boxers are way better than MMA fighters
                  Last edited by ////; 04-17-2016, 11:32 PM.

Comment

No. Hang out at some gyms and you'll find that there's no end of talent out there. The number that make it to tv isn't dictated by how many good fighters there are, it's about how big the fanbase/market is.

Comment

Working...
                    X