Collapse
No announcement yet.

why both hands up (please read first!!)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why both hands up (please read first!!)

genuinely saerching for an answer here.
    i hear a lot of criticism when it comes to leaving that left hand low (lead hand).
    why is that?
    1. you're (to an amateur) too inexperienced to do this.
    2. not ready for shoulder roll yet (inexperience, like #1)
    3. left hand low = get nailed by a right.
    but i feel like these are unfair to say.
    1. how do you learn to fight another style if you dont try it to gain the experience to?
    2. how do you learn to shoulder roll if you dont spar (of course training before you spar this way) with it?
    3. that's what a shoulder roll is for?

i see maybe one reasonable reason? Amateurs go by points, and an inefficient right hand over the shoulder counts as a point...?

strongly dislike it when ppl accuse you of imitating mayweather.. just feel more comfortable with the left hand low to block body shots (only sometimes)

even mayweather uses the double guard when he is walking his opponents down

Comment

I think the reason its frowned upon is because of the reasons you mentioned.

To go one step further I think 80-90% of most boxing gyms don't have a coach that really knows how to teach or even use the philly or shoulder roll properly. Therefore the coaches don't want their fighter to get hurt trying to use it without being taught properly. Also a lot of coaches are too stuborn to se past their own ways.

imo if you really want to learn the philly or shoulder roll you have to go to the areas with rich boxing history where the knowledge has been passed on for decades. Brooklyn, Philly, Michigan and places like these.

That's not to say their is good knowledge in many other places but its fewer and far between every where else.

Comment

Originally posted by Beavis_5000 View Post
        I think the reason its frowned upon is because of the reasons you mentioned.

To go one step further I think 80-90% of most boxing gyms don't have a coach that really knows how to teach or even use the philly or shoulder roll properly. Therefore the coaches don't want their fighter to get hurt trying to use it without being taught properly. Also a lot of coaches are too stuborn to se past their own ways.

imo if you really want to learn the philly or shoulder roll you have to go to the areas with rich boxing history where the knowledge has been passed on for decades. Brooklyn, Philly, Michigan and places like these.

That's not to say their is good knowledge in many other places but its fewer and far between every where else.
        i see... thanks. btw i rly like discussions with you XD.
        and yea i dont understand, my instructor spars with shoulder roll left hand down low 80% of the time, but tells us not to at all..

Comment

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
          i see... thanks. btw i rly like discussions with you XD.
          and yea i dont understand, my instructor spars with shoulder roll left hand down low 80% of the time, but tells us not to at all..

Thank you, I enjoy the knowledge you share with me as well.

Does your instructor say no one should ever use a philly or shoulder roll? Or just specifically you guys where you are at in your stage of learning?

I know coaches/instructors can be weird like that. Tell you how to do something thing or how not to do something but then when they get in there they do the opposite.

I think its a "do as I say not as I do" thing. Just like I tell my children to put their dishes in the sink as soon as they are done or throw away their garbage as soon they are done but I slack on these things myself.

He could just be trying to show off. Nothing wrong there he just wants you guys to respect him. So do what he says not what he does lol.

Comment

Thank you, I enjoy the knowledge you share with me as well.

Does your instructor say no one should ever use a philly or shoulder roll? Or just specifically you guys where you are at in your stage of learning?

I know coaches/instructors can be weird like that. Tell you how to do something thing or how not to do something but then when they get in there they do the opposite.

I think its a "do as I say not as I do" thing. Just like I tell my children to put their dishes in the sink as soon as they are done or throw away their garbage as soon they are done but I slack on these things myself.

He could just be trying to show off. Nothing wrong there he just wants you guys to respect him. So do what he says not what he does lol.
            hmm.. well i guess i cant argue about that :/! he is intelligent after all.. just that i disagree with some of the things he says at times.

Comment

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
              hmm.. well i guess i cant argue about that :/! he is intelligent after all.. just that i disagree with some of the things he says at times.

Make sure you ask him everything you can think of. If you disagree with what he says then question it but in a respectful way. He wont think anything of it, he will just know you want to learn.

Don't be afraid to say "Coach this way seems more right to me". That's what a coach is there for.

You don't want to be left wondering why you disagree with him.

Like when you said your coach is telling you to jab against a taller fighter even when you are out of range. Don't be afraid to tell him you feel you are just opening your self up for counters or just getting helplessly out jabbed.

As far as the philly and developing our own style, once you are comfortable in the ring experiment with it. A butterfly has to spread its wings. A fighter has to develop their own style.

Listen to your coach and do what he says but make sure you let him know you want to experiment with the philly and shoulder roll.
              Last edited by Beavis_5000; 04-17-2014, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Make sure you ask him everything you can think of. If you disagree with what he says then question it but in a respectful way. He wont think anything of it, he will just know you want to learn.

Don't be afraid to say "Coach this way seems more right to me". That's what a coach is there for.

You don't want to be left wondering why you disagree with him.

Like when you said your coach is telling you to jab against a taller fighter even when you are out of range. Don't be afraid to tell him you feel you are just opening your self up for counters or just getting helplessly out jabbed.

As far as the philly and developing our own style, once you are comfortable in the ring experiment with it. A butterfly has to spread its wings. A fighter has to develop their own style.

Listen to your coach and do what he says but make sure you let him know you want to experiment with the philly and shoulder roll.
                yes i probably should communicate with him better.. thanks once again haha... i feel a little repetitive getting so much help from you and rockin lol!!

Comment

learning how to box is like building a house, you need to start from the ground up. try to put the roof up with only one wall and no foundation will only cause the whole thing to come crashing down on your head. but once you have a solid foundation in place you can build a ****ing skyscraper, the number of floors only depend on the strength of the foundation.

you need to know how to fight before you start keeping your lead hand low and trying to roll your shoulder and i mean REALLY know how to fight. at least a dozen fights with a 90% or better win ratio. if you cant/havent done that you are either not fundamentally sound enough to start adding more advanced techniques or you dont have the experience to do it.

im not preaching, this is the way it is. what makes floyd a great defender isnt being a master at the shoulder roll, he knows how to defend from A to Z. if he didnt have all the fundamentals in place and was able to switch up his posture at any time he wouldnt be so successful rolling his shoulders or defending in general.

Comment

Working...
                  X