No announcement yet.

Dan Rafael: Gary Russell Jr moves like Floyd. He has that level of talent

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Antwuan Maxx View Post
    Dan also made similar comments years ago about Devon Alexander (as did Max Kellerman).
    But there's a difference here. Alexander really didn't look as good as people made it seem. I honestly don't get how so little people saw his flaws before the Kotelnik fight. They were right in our face.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxerDood View Post
      But there's a difference here. Alexander really didn't look as good as people made it seem. I honestly don't get how so little people saw his flaws before the Kotelnik fight. They were right in our face.
      Russel jr looks good and I was impressed when I watched him. The main problem he has is a lack of power. He punches pretty hard at times but the majority of his punches are arm punches when he does combinations. He can still be good but he hasn't fought anyone good yet so I'm not gonna rush to conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by stefl14 View Post
        Russel jr looks good and I was impressed when I watched him. The main problem he has is a lack of power. He punches pretty hard at times but the majority of his punches are arm punches when he does combinations. He can still be good but he hasn't fought anyone good yet so I'm not gonna rush to conclusions.
        to be fair, that's usually how anyone who throws a lighting quick combo does it. which is why its a combo.

he's wicked fast though.

Comment

I would just like to say I was on the bandwagon early. I am not the driver but I have old ladies asking me for my seat if you know what I mean.

Comment

The Future

Comment

Originally posted by AntonTheGreat View Post
              to be fair, that's usually how anyone who throws a lighting quick combo does it. which is why its a combo.

he's wicked fast though.
              Ye he is. But some people are comparing him to Roy Jones Jr who had similar speed but he also had punching power whereas this guy doesn't seem to have too much power from what I have seen. People call Floyd a pillow puncher but he was much more powerful than this dude at the lower weights.

I see talent in Russel and the guy has got a lot to offer and could be a future star. I just wouldn't base too much off how he looks just yet since he has only fought slow guys who stand in front of him.

What I will say is I am impressed with his commitment to body work. You don't usually see that in young guys, especially such accomplished amateurs where body work doesn't really exist in many cases.
              Last edited by stefl14; 07-29-2011, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stefl14 View Post
                Ye he is. But Roy Jones had similar speed but he also had punching power whereas this guy doesn't seem to have too much power from what I have seen. People call Floyd a pillow puncher but he was much more powerful than this dude in his early days.

I see talent in Russel and the guy has got a lot to offer and could be a future star. I just wouldn't base too much off how he looks just yet since he has only fought slow guys who stand in front of him.

What I will say is I am impressed with his commitment to body work. You don't usually see that in young guys, especially such accomplished amateurs.
                to be fair, you can't compare him to roy at this point. we know roy at his best was one of the most talented boxers ever.

16 punch combo.

that kid is a ferrari.

Comment

Originally posted by AntonTheGreat View Post
                  to be fair, you can't compare him to roy at this point. we know roy at his best was one of the most talented boxers ever.

16 punch combo.

that kid is a ferrari.
                  I know you can't compare him to Roy. That's what I'm saying. People are too quick to jump on the bandwagon - I see talent but you would expect an olympian to look good vs tricycle drivers.

Comment

Russel should fight who next?

Comment

Anybody else agree with Dan's observations?

Comment

Working...
                      X