Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the record for the least amount of fights before winning a world title?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sweet Jesus View Post
    Thanks. I wouldn't call Ioka's title BS though. The lineage of the WBC title stretches from 1999 after Ricardo Lopez's vacation.
    that comment was directed towards Rigondeaux's 'title'. nothing against Ioka.
    Impressive resume. Not bad for a guy with 20 total fights.
    yup. its not that he just won a vacant title and then lost it soon after, he won it from the champ, defeneded it multiple times, and a few of his opponents went on to be champions themselves.

Comment

kid is aiming for big things..... has set the Jap record

Ioka feels 'relieved' after title bout
      OSAKA (Kyodo) Newly crowned WBC minimumweight champion Kazuto Ioka expressed relief Saturday, a day after setting the Japanese record for winning a world title in the fewest number of fights — seven.

Kazuto Ioka KYODO PHOTO

"When I woke up this morning, I felt relieved to have won the match," Ioka said at a news conference. "Last night after the bout, I was praised by my father for the first time for the way I fought. He said I deserve 100 points out of 100."

Ioka stopped Thailand's Oleydong Sithsamerchai, who had been undefeated in 40 career bouts, with a left to the body 1 minute, 7 seconds into the fifth round at Kobe World Memorial Hall.

The 21-year-old, who usually fights in the heavier light flyweight division, has a goal of winning his second world title in a different weight class, but has decided not to relinquish the WBC minimumweight belt anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by acdc View Post
        kid is aiming for big things..... has set the Jap record

Ioka feels 'relieved' after title bout
        OSAKA (Kyodo) Newly crowned WBC minimumweight champion Kazuto Ioka expressed relief Saturday, a day after setting the Japanese record for winning a world title in the fewest number of fights — seven.

Kazuto Ioka KYODO PHOTO

"When I woke up this morning, I felt relieved to have won the match," Ioka said at a news conference. "Last night after the bout, I was praised by my father for the first time for the way I fought. He said I deserve 100 points out of 100."

Ioka stopped Thailand's Oleydong Sithsamerchai, who had been undefeated in 40 career bouts, with a left to the body 1 minute, 7 seconds into the fifth round at Kobe World Memorial Hall.

The 21-year-old, who usually fights in the heavier light flyweight division, has a goal of winning his second world title in a different weight class, but has decided not to relinquish the WBC minimumweight belt anytime soon.
        I doubt Ioka will stay at 105 for long. He's 21 and had to cut 20+ pounds for the fight.

Comment

Record time for least amount of fights of someone to get a title shot was Pete Rademacher, had to fight the champion Floyd Patterson in his Debut.

Comment

Felix Savon could've probably beat the record if he'd gone pro.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
              Record time for least amount of fights of someone to get a title shot was Pete Rademacher, had to fight the champion Floyd Patterson in his Debut.
              Wow. Were the rules to get a title shot more laxed back then? I am sure a bunch of guys were upset because of this.

Comment

Originally posted by zero188 View Post
                Wow. Were the rules to get a title shot more laxed back then? I am sure a bunch of guys were upset because of this.
                its because Radamechar was really well received in everyones eye. He had just KOed the best Soviet Heavyweight in the world, Lev Mukhin(Houred Master of Sports of the USSR), in the first round of the Olympic Gold Medal match in 1956.

its just that nowadays the amateurs count for so much less, because of the silly rules they have. back then it was just like a regular boxing match, except shorter rounds and I think slightly bigger gloves.

Comment

I'm not 100% sure who the least fights but I believe Wilfred Benitez is the youngest world title holder of all time, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                    I'm not 100% sure who the least fights but I believe Wilfred Benitez is the youngest world title holder of all time, I think.
                    yup, 17 years old. unless Im mistaken Pipino Cuevas was second youngest at 19.

Comment

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post
                      yup, 17 years old. unless Im mistaken Pipino Cuevas was second youngest at 19.
                      Wasn't Cuevas 18? I believe Cesar Polanco was a few months younger than Cuevas. Could be wrong though but im quite sure.

Comment

Working...
                      X