No announcement yet.

Bias in Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bias in Boxing

Why is it that Manny gets a pass on fighting Martinez, Cotto, and Canelo. And Dulorme get a pass on not want to fight at 154 but Floyd doesn't. Floyd never came in over 150 so he is small but yet people want him to fight middleweights but other guys get a pass why is this? And on the 50 and Floyd beef I think it's legit. I think it won't go far though.

Manny has been criticized heavily for refusing to fight Cotto at 154 and trying to drain him.

Comment

Because boxing fans are incredibly biased.

The fighters they like can do what they want and the ones they don't like get hated on for everything

Just look at a weigh in thread for any well known fighter, the people that don't like him will say he looks drained and terrified and the people that do like him will say he looks fantastic and confident

Comment

Originally posted by WitherGlove View Post
        Why is it that Manny gets a pass on fighting Martinez, Cotto, and Canelo. And Dulorme get a pass on not want to fight at 154 but Floyd doesn't. Floyd never came in over 150 so he is small but yet people want him to fight middleweights but other guys get a pass why is this? And on the 50 and Floyd beef I think it's legit. I think it won't go far though.
        Its clear to anyone with eyes that Manny is far too small for these fighters at 154. Floyd is naturally bigger and so is held to different standards, however i do think its unfair to ask him to move up again as he is defo a small jnr middleweight.

Dont forget manny would be considered a small junior welterweight and its only due to his massive skill set, and yes careful matchmaking, that he has been able to fight up to 150.

Comment

Originally posted by WitherGlove View Post
          Probably because Floyd has fought at 154 with no CW while Manny did and weighed in light.
          As for the fighting MW's, they want him to fight a MW at 154 if Martinez can make it. And Floyd said he wanted to fight at MW in the past too

Comment

It's more about individual expectations. There are certain things that we want all fighters to do or strive to achieve. But, we know that not all fighters are built equally. Not every fighter has the same amount of potential, some have lower ceilings than others. On average, I hold Mayweather to a high standard. What is the least that I expect from Floyd? Clean out like the WW division. What happens? he moved to LMW and fought Cotto. He showed what most of us already knew; his ceiling is higher than that of his contemporaries. OK, so he beats Cotto, now my new expectation becomes: Clean out the LMW division. What happens? he goes to jail for 2 months, comes out and takes a break. He doesn't mention who's he interested in fighting, doesn't really talk much about boxing and leaves the fans hanging. None of the articles involving Mayweather have little to do with his career, just a bunch of drama and nonsense. I've had to tailor my expectations based on his actions/decisions/personality, not his skill/talent/potential. Mayweather doesn't seem like he wants to fight much longer, so what should I really expect from him at this point? I no longer have ANY expectations for him.

Comment

Pacquiao is already quite small at WW, I don't think matches with the likes of Canelo at 154 are realistic.

Mayweather shouldn't necessarily be slated for avoiding Martinez at 154 either, but Mayweather is the one referring to himself as better than Sugar Ray Robinson and Muhammed Ali.

If he's affording himself that sort of position in the pantheon of all time boxing greats, it should follow that refusing to fight a natural 154lb fighter in Sergio when he's the reigning 154lb world champion is worthy of criticism.

Obviously it's a risk, but not an unreasonable one if he's as great as he says he is.

Comment

I've been saying for the longest. Don't expect people to take it easy with you, if you keep calling yourself the "goat", the p4p #1, the creme de la creme.

TS is an obvious butt hurt Floyd Stan.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
                  i do think its unfair to ask him to move up again as he is defo a small jnr middleweight.
                  Mayweather's not even a Jr. Middleweight. He's never weighed in at '54, not even for HBO's scales on fight night. That's the point of this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
                    Pacquiao is already quite small at WW, I don't think matches with the likes of Canelo at 154 are realistic.

Mayweather shouldn't necessarily be slated for avoiding Martinez at 154 either, but Mayweather is the one referring to himself as better than Sugar Ray Robinson and Muhammed Ali.

If he's affording himself that sort of position in the pantheon of all time boxing greats, it should follow that refusing to fight a natural 154lb fighter in Sergio when he's the reigning 154lb world champion is worthy of criticism.

Obviously it's a risk, but not an unreasonable one if he's as great as he says he is.
                    Ali and Robinson fought in one and four weight classes.
                    Last edited by deejd; 11-03-2012, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X