No announcement yet.

Who will be the good boxing prospects participating in the 2016 olympic games

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HI-TECH Boxing View Post
    I wasn't aware that he signed a contract with AIBA, well that's a waste. AIBA is definitely against pro boxing, there is a lot of corruption in professional boxing though. But there is also corruption in the amateurs. But like you said it's just so much harder for these guys and their Boxing Federation does take care of them much better than countries in the Americas.

I don't think the talent for these Olympics are as high as they were in 2012. Many of talents at these Olympics will have question marks, will they even turn pro? I'm not that impressed with the top Americans right now, I remember some of them were even getting beat up in the WSB.

Yeah, I'm high on Curiel and Delgado and they will most likely turn pro. But who knows, maybe the reason they are amateurs is because they don't need the money.

I wonder when we will get another prodigy like Lomachenko or Rigondeaux. At the age of 20 win a gold medal and then comeback 4 years later and win another gold then turn pro. Something like that.
    Maybe there will be a surprise talent at the W.C. this year or Olympics next year.
    Someone mentioned Shakur Stevenson Earlier, a lot of people are saying he is a boxing prodigy, Art-illery said in this thread that Shakur Stevenson reminded him of sugar ray leonard, Thats high praise, I hope that doesn't include Leonards chin because Leonards chin wasn't that great.

Comment

Originally posted by BrushMyHair View Post
      Someone mentioned Shakur Stevenson Earlier, a lot of people are saying he is a boxing prodigy, Art-illery said in this thread that Shakur Stevenson reminded him of sugar ray leonard, Thats high praise, I hope that doesn't include Leonards chin because Leonards chin wasn't that great.
      Shakur is a good fighter, personally I'm not that high on him. He is only 17 years old though, but has not competed at World Senior level. He won't even get to fight this year at World Championships because he just didn't participate at the qualifiers (US national team trials) last year. Even if he makes the Olympics next year, I don't see him getting a medal, let alone the Gold. I think he should stay amateur until the next Olympics, he will only be 22 years old. That way he will mature, gain experience and his chance of getting a Gold will increase.

But I want a real prodigy, someone like Rigo or Loma who were "godly" at even a young; they were both basically 19 when they first showed up to the scene. Rigo was 19 (turned 20 at the Finals during the Olympics) at the 2000 Olympics and Loma was 19 at the 2007 World Amateur Championships, where he won Silver (he could have won the Gold).

Shakur is really good, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't put him at the level of a Rigo or Loma and definitely not Sugar Ray Leonard.

Maybe Cuba, Ukraine or Kazakhstan have some young fighter lurking somewhere. Hopefully we see a really great young talent these coming Olympics. Stevenson may prove me wrong and be that prodigy.

Comment

I wasn't aware that he signed a contract with AIBA, well that's a waste. AIBA is definitely against pro boxing, there is a lot of corruption in professional boxing though. But there is also corruption in the amateurs. But like you said it's just so much harder for these guys and their Boxing Federation does take care of them much better than countries in the Americas.

I don't think the talent for these Olympics are as high as they were in 2012. Many of talents at these Olympics will have question marks, will they even turn pro? I'm not that impressed with the top Americans right now, I remember some of them were even getting beat up in the WSB.

Yeah, I'm high on Curiel and Delgado and they will most likely turn pro. But who knows, maybe the reason they are amateurs is because they don't need the money.

I wonder when we will get another prodigy like Lomachenko or Rigondeaux. At the age of 20 win a gold medal and then comeback 4 years later and win another gold then turn pro. Something like that.
        Maybe there will be a surprise talent at the W.C. this year or Olympics next year.
        Mexico is working hard to develop a successful amateur boxing program and prevent their young boxers from turning pro. We could have a new generation of Mexican boxers with the traditional Mexican style but more technically sound.

I personally don't see anyone as good as Lomachenko or Rigondeaux right now. Julio César La Cruz seems untouchable at times although he disappointed in London. But the general level has increased since 2012 in my opinion. The WSB has given countries such as Mexico, Venezuela, Morocco, etc. the chance to compete against some of the best boxers in the world, APB has signed a lot of amateurs who would have turned pro otherwise, and they are still eligible for the WC and the Olympic Games.

In many divisions - middleweight, bantamweight, welterweight - I can see 5 or 6 fighters capable of winning gold at the 2015 WC.

Comment

Originally posted by Loque-san View Post
          Mexico is working hard to develop a successful amateur boxing program and prevent their young boxers from turning pro. We could have a new generation of Mexican boxers with the traditional Mexican style but more technically sound.

I personally don't see anyone as good as Lomachenko or Rigondeaux right now. Julio César La Cruz seems untouchable at times although he disappointed in London. But the general level has increased since 2012 in my opinion. The WSB has given countries such as Mexico, Venezuela, Morocco, etc. the chance to compete against some of the best boxers in the world, APB has signed a lot of amateurs who would have turned pro otherwise, and they are still eligible for the WC and the Olympic Games.

In many divisions - middleweight, bantamweight, welterweight - I can see 5 or 6 fighters capable of winning gold at the 2015 WC.
          Man I was going over my typing and it's terrible, excuse me for that lol.
          I know there isn't anyone as good as Lomachenko or Rigondeaux, but I was hoping there will be a young kid that shows up this year at the World Championships or next year in the Olympics and just impresses. If not we have next Olympic cycle. Who knows we may even get someone who is even better than both, we could dream.
          I feel like most of the weight classes will be competitve this Olympics, but talent wise I don't think they are better than the 2012 Olympians.

We had Lomachenko, Artur Beterbiev, Oleksandr Usyk, Oleksandr Gvozdyk, Mekhontsev, Murata, Khytrov, Anthony Joshua, Errol Spence, Jose Ramirez, Oscar Valdez, Joseph Diaz Jr., Felix Verdejo.
          That is a lot a great talent that converted into professional boxing. There is some really exciting boxers right now, but we don't even know if they are turning pro. I don't know I was more excited for the talent last Olympics tbh.
          That's why I'm hoping we get a prodigy soon.

Comment

Man I was going over my typing and it's terrible, excuse me for that lol.
            I know there isn't anyone as good as Lomachenko or Rigondeaux, but I was hoping there will be a young kid that shows up this year at the World Championships or next year in the Olympics and just impresses. If not we have next Olympic cycle. Who knows we may even get someone who is even better than both, we could dream.
            I feel like most of the weight classes will be competitve this Olympics, but talent wise I don't think they are better than the 2012 Olympians.

We had Lomachenko, Artur Beterbiev, Oleksandr Usyk, Oleksandr Gvozdyk, Mekhontsev, Murata, Khytrov, Anthony Joshua, Errol Spence, Jose Ramirez, Oscar Valdez, Joseph Diaz Jr., Felix Verdejo.
            That is a lot a great talent that converted into professional boxing. There is some really exciting boxers right now, but we don't even know if they are turning pro. I don't know I was more excited for the talent last Olympics tbh.
            That's why I'm hoping we get a prodigy soon.
            Naoya Inoue is a prodigy, and he didn't even need the Olympics.

Comment

I think it would be appropriate to bump this, since the Pan American games are on-going.
              There are a few boxers that have caught my attention. Cuba is class like always. Toledo and Veitia are the best imo. Lazaro Alvarez kind of struggled today, but maybe he was rusty. Andy Cruz looked good. But I don't want to get attached to any Cuban fighter as they will probably never turn pro.

Joedison Teixeira looked real solid today. I can't wait to see how he does against Toledo. He fought Raul Curiel in a great fight. Curiel is a guy that will do great in the pros. He shows a lot of heart every time I see him. After loosing the first round he came back strong in the 2nd and 3rd. He'll probably be a fan favorite to the Mexican public if he turns pro.
              But the Mexican fighter that has impressed me the most, since last year, has been Lindolfo Delgado. He fought Carlos Balderas of the USA about an hour ago and performed excellent. Delgado was in control from the start and countered Balderas nicely. Basically beat him at close and long range. Really impressed with this Mexican kid. Hopefully a good promoter gets him after the Olympics. I expect him to get to the finals and fight Alvarez. He's already faced Alvarez and gave him a good fight at the Central Caribbean Games last year. This is a kid to look out for.

The USA hasn't looked too good.
              The only one that has stood out has been, Antonio Vargas who beat Jeyvier Cintron and quite impressively. He's really young as well.

Comment

I think it would be appropriate to bump this, since the Pan American games are on-going.
                There are a few boxers that have caught my attention. Cuba is class like always. Toledo and Veitia are the best imo. Lazaro Alvarez kind of struggled today, but maybe he was rusty. Andy Cruz looked good. But I don't want to get attached to any Cuban fighter as they will probably never turn pro.

Joedison Teixeira looked real solid today. I can't wait to see how he does against Toledo. He fought Raul Curiel in a great fight. Curiel is a guy that will do great in the pros. He shows a lot of heart every time I see him. After loosing the first round he came back strong in the 2nd and 3rd. He'll probably be a fan favorite to the Mexican public if he turns pro.
                But the Mexican fighter that has impressed me the most, since last year, has been Lindolfo Delgado. He fought Carlos Balderas of the USA about an hour ago and performed excellent. Delgado was in control from the start and countered Balderas nicely. Basically beat him at close and long range. Really impressed with this Mexican kid. Hopefully a good promoter gets him after the Olympics. I expect him to get to the finals and fight Alvarez. He's already faced Alvarez and gave him a good fight at the Central Caribbean Games last year. This is a kid to look out for.

The USA hasn't looked too good.
                The only one that has stood out has been, Antonio Vargas who beat Jeyvier Cintron and quite impressively. He's really young as well.

Eventually the Cubans will go pro. I don't think the Embargo is fully lifted yet. Once promoters start traveling to Cuba, these fighters will come.

Comment

I've totally blown watching the Pan Am games. The only bout I saw was Cam Awesome against a Canadian. Mr. Awesome squeaked a SD win.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post
                    I've totally blown watching the Pan Am games. The only bout I saw was Cam Awesome against a Canadian. Mr. Awesome squeaked a SD win.

Are they airing boxing right now?

Comment

Originally posted by Errol 8:32 View Post
                      Are they airing boxing right now?
                      Don't know. The games are on ESPN 2.

Comment

Working...
                      X