Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think this writer was inspired by NSB for this article (everyone please read)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree totally with the article but its hard to take someone seriously when they don't know the difference between 4 and 5.

Although boring should be removed, and "leftovers" should be implanted in its place. Unless a fighter is fighting his first fight ever, he is someone's "leftovers". Boring is subjective, u can go on and on about "wizardry" all u want. If u are boring your boring. Ward is boring, no matter how skilled he is, when he s fighting u will turn away from the tv every chance u get. Its not about real fan or fake fan, newbie or hardcore, its about reality. Fundamentally the WNBA might have fantastic technical basketball. But all "the true beauty of the sport" mumbo jumbo aside, its boring.

Comment

Plagiarising..........

i could have written this myself....in fact I often have, as have a few other perceptive posters who know boxing in it's TRUE sense and meaning, so it easily could have been inspired by BoxingScene posters.

AND- I've probably mentioned that most of the posters here should have been born in the Roman Coliseum period, at least a hundred times.

Comment

Boring

Somewhere between 30-minute pizza delivery and 30-second UFC knockouts, the art of actual boxing got lost. Back in the day, fans would be marveling at the defensive wizardry of Pernell Whitaker as he glided around the ring, making opponents miss wildly. Now, unless someone takes every punch face-first and/or flails a hundred arm punches a round, they are labeled "boring." Real, elite-level boxing is a mix of offense and defense with an emphasis on finely-tuned prize fighting fundamentals. This is the difference between fight fans and boxing fans— Boxing fans want skill, intelligence, and expertly-executed fury while fight fans just want blood.

Sounds like Teddy Atlas he's describing.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeDaWg View Post
          I agree totally with the article but its hard to take someone seriously when they don't know the difference between 4 and 5.

Although boring should be removed, and "leftovers" should be implanted in its place. Unless a fighter is fighting his first fight ever, he is someone's "leftovers". Boring is subjective, u can go on and on about "wizardry" all u want. If u are boring your boring. Ward is boring, no matter how skilled he is, when he s fighting u will turn away from the tv every chance u get. Its not about real fan or fake fan, newbie or hardcore, its about reality. Fundamentally the WNBA might have fantastic technical basketball. But all "the true beauty of the sport" mumbo jumbo aside, its boring.
          Thats exactly what ive been saying about it as well. There are fighters so concerned with staying pretty through a fight it becomes a sham. Vasquez/marquez had plenty of defensive wizardry and was extremely entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by shadeyfizzle View Post
            Thats exactly what ive been saying about it as well. There are fighters so concerned with staying pretty through a fight it becomes a sham. Vasquez/marquez had plenty of defensive wizardry and was extremely entertaining.
            Totally agree with u. Defensive and boring do not have to go hand in hand.

Comment

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
              i could have written this myself....in fact I often have, as have a few other perceptive posters who know boxing in it's TRUE sense and meaning, so it easily could have been inspired by BoxingScene posters.

AND- I've probably mentioned that most of the posters here should have been born in the Roman Coliseum period, at least a hundred times.
              I know I have said things like this many many times. Especially when it comes to posters claiming robbery or someone being a bum after 1 loss.

I just figured I'd share it here because it is so relevant to the ignorance on NSB.

Comment

Some good points writer. There were some downside to the article as well. First, the pessimistic attitude of the article made me feel like a worthless bum of a boxing fan...for a sec, I thought that MMA was going to be my sport of choice.

Second, it was too long. I felt I was robbed of 2 minutes of my life while reading it.

Third, the perspective was so esoteric and introverted that it might as well have been a lone duckafloat the water in an imaginary pond.

Fourth, How does one have a shot of loving the sport with hateful comments in articles about the sport?

Just have some compassion man, for the fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Gunz View Post
                  http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_yl...ug=ycn-8806704

For those who have followed the sport long enough, certain words and phrases have become part of the boxing culture. While some are fitting and appropriate, others get tossed around so freely that they have become pure cliche.

Used to dismiss and often distort reality, some of these cliches are wielded as weapons in the hands of misinformed fans and media members with agendas.

Here are five words that should be reserved for only those who really know how to use them:

Robbery

The last few weeks showed us the difference between a robbery and close, but disputed decision. Paul Williams-Erislandy Lara was a robbery. When most reasonable people scored the fight 9-3 or 8-4 for Lara and the judges turn in scorecards, making Williams the majority decision winner…well, that's a robbery. Devon Alexander-Lucas Matthysse, from about three weeks ago, was a close fight with several rounds that could have gone either way. Judging is subjective, not blind and stupid. Labeling every controversial fight a robbery is a disservice to those cases where the right people should be outraged.

Duck

Please get it straight that the only fighters who take on all comers, with little regard to pay, venue, and quality of opposition are journeymen who need money. Every top fighter and their management consider the "right" opponent at the right time. Money, risk, and the ugly shadow of boxing politics factor into every top fighter's opponent selection process. Cowards don't get into prize fighting, and they sure as heck don't exist at the elite levels of the sport. If these professional fighters are cowards, what does that make those accusing them of cowardice?

Bum

Along the same lines as the word above, social media and message boards are full of keyboard warriors calling so-and-so a "bum." Fighters at all levels deserve respect for the sacrifices they make and for the bravery to actually step in a ring where the effort could, literally, cost them their life. Of course, some fighters are better and more skilled than others, but if you're a real fan and/or someone who writes about the sport for a living, respect should be shown to these brave men and women.

Boring

Somewhere between 30-minute pizza delivery and 30-second UFC knockouts, the art of actual boxing got lost. Back in the day, fans would be marveling at the defensive wizardry of Pernell Whitaker as he glided around the ring, making opponents miss wildly. Now, unless someone takes every punch face-first and/or flails a hundred arm punches a round, they are labeled "boring." Real, elite-level boxing is a mix of offense and defense with an emphasis on finely-tuned prize fighting fundamentals. This is the difference between fight fans and boxing fans— Boxing fans want skill, intelligence, and expertly-executed fury while fight fans just want blood.
                  Maybe I find this article so boring that I missed something, but I only see four words here, not five. I've been robbed! I've been robbed!

Comment

Working...
                  X