Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trinidad Vs Bernard Could = Cotto vs Pacquiao (Explanation Inside)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trinidad Vs Bernard Could = Cotto vs Pacquiao (Explanation Inside)

Now...this is in no way a comparison on how the actual fight will take place stylistically, but I'll let you know why I kind of mirror Tito vs Bernard to Cotto vs Pacquiao.

If memory serves you correct, Trinidad was being ushered in to being the next WW to move up to Middleweight and reign. He went through Joppy and the Bernard fight was set. Now, Bernard was the Middleweight champion for quite sometime up until he fought Trinidad, but unfortunately didn't receive the notoriety he deserved as he had been champion for close to 7 years. The majority of people anticipating this fight saw a good chance for Tito to land shots, use his aggression, and hurt Bernard down the stretch ignoring what Bernard brought to the ring himself...and boy were a lot of people awed.

Now, what won the fight for Bernard? His size? Punching Power? Ring generalship? Boxing ability? The answer is...all of the above. Now when I look at Cotto vs Pacquiao, I can't help but look at the similarities coming into this fight. Pacquiao is the favorite going in, he's the biggest star in Boxing right now, very exciting to watch, has a mega fight waiting for him in the Horizon...everything you could ask for as a fighter. With Cotto, he's been looked at as the workhorse of the WW division and has fought all comers win or lose. With the recent fight with Joshua Clottey, many observers have called him "Shot" or "Damaged Goods". But is Cotto really damaged goods...or has he simply been fighting the toughest fights the Division has to offer?

Whether its writers, sports announcers, fans (casual or not), This fight reminds me too much of how Tito vs Bernard was being promoted. The talks of what Tito was going to do after Bernard was being spoken without hesitation before the fight even happened. I see the exact same thing happening with Cotto vs Pacquiao. The assumption already is the Pac vs Floyd will be set for next year totally alienating the chance of Cotto beating Pacquiao. Bernard became a Full Fledged name after beating Tito the way he did, I have a very strong feeling the same will happen to Cotto come Nov 14th.

Just my 2 cents....
    Last edited by RL_GMA; 09-11-2009, 02:27 PM.

Cotto doesn't have 1/4 the skill, stamina, durability and chin Hopkins had. He wont have no speed advantage either. Why not compare Fraziers style to Roy Jones Junior.

Comment

It's possible, but I don't see a one sided fight. I do agree with the bull**** people say about Cotto being damaged goods or shot. He fights the best all the time. He's not gonna mow through everyone.

Comment

Tito moved from JMW not WW after winning a title from Fargas to MW and beat a defending champion in spectacular fashion.....also I think Tito was expected to blow B-hop out.....but I can see some comparison, its a stretch though.

Comment

Originally posted by street bully View Post
          Cotto doesn't have 1/4 the skill, stamina, durability and chin Hopkins had. He wont have no speed advantage either. Why not compare Fraziers style to Roy Jones Junior.
          Pac doesnt have 1/8 of the power trinidad had!!!!!!!!

Cotto will outbox pacuiao in teh first rounds and the proceed to walk him down and Knock him out in the 8 round

Comment

Originally posted by RL_GMA View Post
            Now...this is in no way a comparison on how the actual fight will take place stylistically, but I'll let you know why I kind of mirror Tito vs Bernard to Cotto vs Pacquiao.

If memory serves you correct, Trinidad was being ushered in to being the next WW to move up to Middleweight and reign. He went through Joppy and the Bernard fight was set. Now, Bernard was the Middleweight champion for quite sometime up until he fought Trinidad, but unfortunately didn't receive the notoriety he deserved as he had been champion for close to 7 years. The majority of people anticipating this fight saw a good chance for Tito to land shots, use his aggression, and hurt Bernard down the stretch ignoring what Bernard brought to the ring himself...and boy were a lot of people awed.

Now, what won the fight for Bernard? His size? Punching Power? Ring generalship? Boxing ability? The answer is...all of the above. Now when I look at Cotto vs Pacquiao, I can't help but look at the similarities coming into this fight. Pacquiao is the favorite going in, he's the biggest star in Boxing right now, very exciting to watch, has a mega fight waiting for him in the Horizon...everything you could ask for as a fighter. With Cotto, he's been looked at as the workhorse of the WW division and has fought all comers win or lose. With the recent fight with Joshua Clottey, many observers have called him "Shot" or "Damaged Goods". But is Cotto really damaged goods...or has he simply been fighting the toughest fights the Division has to offer?

Whether its writers, sports announcers, fans (casual or not), This fight reminds me too much of how Tito vs Bernard was being promoted. The talks of what Tito was going to do after Bernard was being spoken without hesitation before the fight even happened. I see the exact same thing happening with Cotto vs Pacquiao. The assumption already is the Pac vs Floyd will be set for next year totally alienating the chance of Cotto beating Pacquiao. Bernard became a Full Fledged name after beating Tito the way he did, I have a very strong feeling the same will happen to Cotto come Nov 14th.

Just my 2 cents....
            Tito came up from 154.

I see the similarities though.

Manny is on a roll and has already a win at the weight just like Tito.

Cotto is getting disrespected and people think he doesnt have a chance like Hopkins was.

Good observation!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ch@mpBox@PR View Post

Cotto will outbox pacuiao in teh first rounds and the proceed to walk him down and Knock him out in the 8 round
              Cotto was suppose to knock Margarito out too. Look what happened lol. He ended up quitting.

Comment

Originally posted by Ch@mpBox@PR View Post

He has much more speed, and more boxing skills though. Cotto will get beaten up in this one.

Comment

Originally posted by street bully View Post
                  I think you underestimate Cotto as a Boxer as well as not looking at Pacquiao's actual Boxing skills more than him being simply fast. The comparison is based on the overall look of the fight and how both were perceived prior to the bell ringing. Cotto has the ability to give Manny a lot of trouble, and we don't know how Pacquiao's going to take shots from a prime WW. Everyone's assumptions on Pac winning are based on 2 fights and 2 fights alone (not really smart).

Comment

i've been making this comparison since the fight was signed.

all you bitches will see that cotto is bernard to mannys tito.

Comment

Working...
                    X